• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Showcase |OT| (09/16/20 - 1pm PT / 4pm ET / 9pm UK / 6am AET)

Shmunter

$499 + much cheaper used games is way more appealing to me than $399 + $70-80 games. I think very few people in my country (including diehard sony fans) will be able to afford buying PS5 games for full price. XSS + cheap gamepass will be definitely more popular.
Psn sells games dirt cheap periodically too. Secondhand is not the only option for bargain hunters.

Sorry guys.

Gamepass still looks like the far superior option. Remember that all MS games go on it. At £70 a title, that's now huge. Also, all EA Access games are on it too.

You may argue there are no new MS exclusives at launch of the new consoles, but with 20 studios working on them, they will come around soon enough.

PS5 DE price has given me food for thought though. Just need to see if there is room behind my TV to hide the ugly fucker.
how many times will the xbox stans use the phrase soon?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
3566769-3746133911-35487.jpg

I mean, the skin is extremely low polygon density, like some kinda wax:

cyberpunk77.jpg

Spiderman MM from the same distance to make it fair:

49996318291_a804acf119_o.png

Get closer

spiderman.jpg

pawel86ck

Banned
Psn sells games dirt cheap periodically too. Secondhand is not the only option for bargain hunters.
When I bought PS4P I was able to buy 20x PS4 games for around 20$ each ($400 in totall). Nothing can beat used games prices. $399 PS5 doesn't make any sense to me, because people who can afford $70-80 games will buy $499 PS5 anyway.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

GeorgPrime

Banned
When I bought PS4P I was able to buy 20x PS4 games for around 20$ each ($400 in totall). Nothing can beat used games prices. $399 PS5 doesn't make any sense to me, because people who can afford $70-80 games will buy $499 PS5 anyway.

I know a lot people who can afford 80 Euro for a game but they wont spend it on a game. They just wait for 60 / 40 / 30 Euro sales. Its just not worth it.

ZywyPL

Banned
If you skipped this gen on PS, the PS+ collection might indeed interest you, and the BC backlog will also be more attractive at a reasonable price.
But then again, why not just get a PS4 slim then? The price is boubd to drop soon.

Current-gen consoles with Jaguar CPUs and laptop HDDs are a terrible experience for me, hence I skipped this gen, not mention loud fan noise in some models, but next-gen consoles looks to be so much more enjoyable overall experience, for which I'm willing to pay 100-150$ extra.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Boy did I have it wrong. The God of War 2 teaser felt inevitable but I did not expect FF16 and for them to finally unveil Harry Potter.

Mista

Banned
It was a good showcase. Nothing blew me away technically because we already saw all that in the current gen

Digital version for me. Already reserved my piece!

Reactions: Isa
Not many people will be running out and buying 80 euro games as Sony has hoped. I fear that this aggressive pricing of next-gen games may be the downfall of the future Playstation consoles, not too dissimilar to the demise of the Vita handheld console.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not many people will be running out and buying 80 euro games as Sony has hoped. I fear that this aggressive pricing of next-gen games may be the downfall of the future Playstation consoles, not too dissimilar to the demise of the Vita handheld console.

Expect the games to be cheaper digitally, just like people have been asking for, just like the digital only console is $100 cheaper.

They want people to stop buying physical games. This is more than likely the last Playstation console that has games on discs.

LordOfChaos

Is this guy right or is that BBC writer just confused? I'm pretty sure nothing like this has been said and they're just confusing the obvious point that the DE can't play physical disks

Expect the games to be cheaper digitally, just like people have been asking for, just like the digital only console is $100 cheaper.

They want people to stop buying physical games. This is more than likely the last Playstation console that has games on discs.

That's a good point actually. Normally I would say that digital games are always higher than physical, which is why the PS5 Physical has the advantage with games on sale all the time, and especially with BF coming up. But after seeing Sony's business model direction with the PS5 DE coming in at a very attractive, and high value price of $399, and their pricing of the next-gen games at 80 euros, I'm convinced now that Sony is driving everyone towards their online ecosystem.

AV

That's a good point actually. Normally I would say that digital games are always higher than physical, which is why the PS5 Physical has the advantage with games on sale all the time, and especially with BF coming up. But after seeing Sony's business model direction with the PS5 DE coming in at a very attractive, and high value price of $399, and their pricing of the next-gen games at 80 euros, I'm convinced now that Sony is driving everyone towards their online ecosystem.

Yep. Take the UK store for example - upcoming PS4 games like Watch Dogs Legion are £60 digitally, which is a price hike from previous big titles like TLOU2. I expect PS5 games to stay at this new £60 price point digitally while the disc versions go up to £70 to drive people towards digital.

Time will tell, I could be wrong, maybe Watch Dogs Legion will be £70 digitally on PS5. If so, that's not good.

Last edited:

Genx3

I'll be buying XSX day 1 because Game Pass is the real deal and a full blown UHD PS5 down the line once Sony decides they'll do free upgrades for their PS4 games for the PS5.

Head of Sony Interactive: analog Game Pass would be “unviable” on PlayStation

LordOfChaos

It would be pretty hard to have that Playstion Plus Collection work if it didn't play digital games.

Fair point. Nothing else corroborates that so that BBC author is probably confusing it with no disk based BC, which is obvious. That guy was retweeting an obvious FUDster too.

ZywyPL

Banned
Head of Sony Interactive: analog Game Pass would be “unviable” on PlayStation

Maybe my simple math is wrong, but even if half of the current PS4 userbase paid a mere 10$ a month, that's half a billion each month, 6BLN a year, about 1/3rd of what they're making now... Granted, their games strategy wouldn't work for such business model, one, maybe two full-fat AAA game wouldn't saturate such service even remotely enough, not to mention with no MP/co-op component, they just don't have the type of games for Netflix type of service, nor the quantity. But I think they'll have to figure it out eventually, their games are coming to PC nowadays because SP-only AAA cannot sustain themselves, not to mention that's there the consumer market is heading, it's like Apple persuading sub-4" smartphones back in the day while people wanted 5.5" minimum, and they had no choice but to bow down and adjust to the consumers and gave them what they wanted, and if streaming/renting services will become the dominant media distribution method, Sony will have no choice but to follow suit. But we will have to wait 5-10 years to see how the market will shape up.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its worth considering too that if Digital only consoles take off in a big way this gen, then supply for the used market is going to be a lot less plentiful than it has been, which in turn will keep prices high.

clintar

Its worth considering too that if Digital only consoles take off in a big way this gen, then supply for the used market is going to be a lot less plentiful than it has been, which in turn will keep prices high.
And then they won't even need to lower prices of digital releases. Everybody Sony wins!

Joey.

Question for COD, Cold War has Warzone correct? I feel like I never hear them talk about it since it was such a huge hit this year.
If there's no warzone, I'll be pretty disappointed

Kokoloko85

Not really expecting any real time killers and dead space seeing as its pre recorded so we arent really going to have execs or developers popping on to a stage with shitty jokes

Dont underestimate how shit a event can be.

Repeats and Bs that wasn’t needed:
Resident Evil 8
Call of duty and a developer talking about it....
DeathLoop
Abe’s oddesyy bs...
DmC 5

What was needed:
UI.
Talking about boost mode and BC.
New games

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dont underestimate how shit a event can be.

Repeats and Bs that wasn’t needed:
Resident Evil 8
Call of duty and a developer talking about it....
DeathLoop
Abe’s oddesyy bs...
DmC 5

What was needed:
UI.
Talking about boost mode and BC.
New games

Hopefully this means there is another event coming, maybe end of the month or early Oct. I'm mostly interested in the UI, services and BC now. I'm happy for them to hold some games back and show them when they are closer to release. I don't want to see logos or CGI trailers for games coming in 2022+

Kokoloko85

Hopefully this means there is another event coming, maybe end of the month or early Oct. I'm mostly interested in the UI, services and BC now. I'm happy for them to hold some games back and show them when they are closer to release. I don't want to see logos or CGI trailers for games coming in 2022+

There is no BC unfortunately but I guess Boost mode and UI is something they can talk about. And Plenty of games. But I doubt there will be another event that is relevant before launch

Top Bottom