• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Nat Type 1 help (Faster WiFi vs LAN)

Kerotan

So I've a strange situation. On my PS4 I could set up Nat Type 1 no probs. You put your console IP into the DMZ setting on your router and voila.

For the PS5 I entered my IPv4 address. I'm connected through a LAN port on my wall which connects to my router. Anyway no luck and still Nat Type 2. Anybody know how it's done?

On a side not my Internet is 150MB. If I plug my laptop in I get about 140MB/s on the speed test. Impressively my PS5 gets about that over the WiFi and it's at the opposite corner of the house to the router. However the ps5 over LAN gets 90mb max and 30mb at worst.

Why is the WiFi faster and why can't I get the Nat type to 1?

TLZ

Banned
Have you tried using ipv6 instead?

Also I've always had NAT 2 and it was never an issue.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Strange, getting 200+ on mine with NAT2
Haven't tested the WiFi

Kerotan

Have you tried using ipv6 instead?

Also I've always had NAT 2 and it was never an issue.
Which one? I have an ipv6 address and another ipv6 (link-local) under.

They also are weird long numbers and letter combinations that the router won't accept as an IP.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
NAT2 is the best connection status for both PS4 and PS5.

I only can get NAT1 with PS4/PS5 directly connected to internet (no router).

DMZ give me NAT2 that is great.

Last edited:

Kerotan

NAT2 is the best connection status for both PS4 and PS5.

I only can get NAT1 with PS4/PS5 directly connected to internet (no router).

DMZ give me NAT2 that is great.
So if you plug the PS straight into the modem instead of the router it will give Nat Type 1. They makes sense. I had nat type 1 on ps4 via the router though using the DMZ.

A problem I'm having is right now the PS5 speed test gives me 90mb/s. But if I download a game it goes at 10mb/s (I'm looking at it downloading and counting).

My friend 45 mind away is downloading games x10 faster. I can't figure out why.

TLZ

Banned
So if you plug the PS straight into the modem instead of the router it will give Nat Type 1. They makes sense. I had nat type 1 on ps4 via the router though using the DMZ.

A problem I'm having is right now the PS5 speed test gives me 90mb/s. But if I download a game it goes at 10mb/s (I'm looking at it downloading and counting).

My friend 45 mind away is downloading games x10 faster. I can't figure out why.
What exactly are you counting? For example, do you see the size go from 10mb to 20mb to 30mb every second? If yes then you're connection is doing great.

El Muerto

Are you using a cat5e or cat6 cable? Also if the cable is old your speed won't be that great as the metals wear out over time due to the voltage.
Also check and see if your MTU is 1500.
I would plug the laptop in the wall jack and run a speed test just to see what speeds your getting.

Kerotan

What exactly are you counting? For example, do you see the size go from 10mb to 20mb to 30mb every second? If yes then you're connection is doing great.

Yes but like I said others are getting speeds in excess of 100mb every second so if my connection is faster then that surely I should be too. Don't forget it's going up about 50% over the WiFi.
Are you using a cat5e or cat6 cable? Also if the cable is old your speed won't be that great as the metals wear out over time due to the voltage.
Also check and see if your MTU is 1500.
I would plug the laptop in the wall jack and run a speed test just to see what speeds your getting.
Yes it's set to 1500. Using a cat5e cable. When I plugged by laptop in the speed test was better from 50 to 100% faster. I'll try a different cable tomorrow.

Also guys with the port forwarding, is it a case of there's a few ports you enable for psn in general or does every game need their own individual ports entered?

Kerotan

Are you confusing MB with Mb? Downloading 10MB/S is about right for a 90Mb/S connection.
Yeah I must have been and that's why my friend who had a 900mb speed test result was downloading about 10 times faster then me.

But I don't get it, what's the difference and why is it faster over WiFi that makes no sense.

Yeah I must have been and that's why my friend who had a 900mb speed test result was downloading about 10 times faster then me.

But I don't get it, what's the difference and why is it faster over WiFi that makes no sense.
Does your router/switch have gigabit lan ports? If there's a 100Mb port that you're connected to then that'll would explain it.

TLZ

Banned

Well there you go. Your speed is fine and you are downloading at your max speed.

Try a different cable. Maybe that solves it.

Kerotan

Well there you go. Your speed is fine and you are downloading at your max speed.

Try a different cable. Maybe that solves it.
Yeah that solves that problem. So we know the speed at which I'm downloading correlates to the speed test result on the ps5.

But it's baffling how the speed test is getting significantly better results over the WiFi and it's really far away from the router!

I tested 3 different LAN cables and all got the same result. I plug a laptop in instead and it gets a much faster result. Equal to my ps5 over LAN. So every test is giving me 140mb whether it's over WiFi or LAN except for my PS5 over LAN. Really weird.

Kerotan

I was messing around with my connections and tried connecting the ps5 straight into the router. It didn't work so I reverted back to the original set up but now the router has shit the bed.

I reset the router and the modem but no they won't connect to each other so no Internet for the entire house now!

• Triggered
Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom