• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 disc won't eject

My PS5 arrived yesterday, and what do you know: it's busted.

When I press the eject disc button the disc simply doesn't come out. The system thinks the disc has been ejected, though, and pressing the button again causes it to beep like there is no disc in the tray. People online are saying that putting the system in horizontal orientation fixes the problem, but that didn't work for me.

I took off the side panel and used the manual ejector screw and that worked to get the disc out, thankfully. Since I did that I've been able to eject discs, knock on wood, but the drive makes an unpleasant clicking noise when it does so.

I'm sending this back to Sony, but before I do I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if there's an easy fix.

Is there any part of the Sony’s next-gen package that doesn’t have any problems? Honest question.

Coil whine, hard mid-game freezing and crashes, external HD issues, ethernet cable issues, Dualsense trigger breaking, stick drifting and even not charging, lousy store, expensive games, poor Pulse headset mic quality, being too big for what it’s worth, absolutely worst rollout of a new consoles ever (still can’t go into a store and buy one where I live) and now not ejecting discs.

Oh and nothing releasing anytime soon that will harness full power of the machine, no news on major announced games release dates.

Boss Mog

Is there any part of the Sony’s next-gen package that doesn’t have any problems? Honest question.

Coil whine, hard mid-game freezing and crashes, external HD issues, ethernet cable issues, Dualsense trigger breaking, stick drifting and even not charging, lousy store, expensive games, poor Pulse headset mic quality, being too big for what it’s worth, absolutely worst rollout of a new consoles ever (still can’t go into a store and buy one where I live) and now not ejecting discs.

Oh and nothing releasing anytime soon that will harness full power of the machine, no news on major announced games release dates.
Yeah "Honest question"... :pie_eyeroll:

Arun1910

All hardware has issues.

Depends on the frequency and percentage of units that have the defect.

We are all going to be seeing Consoles having issues more than others because that is something we are exposed to being on Gaf.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Can't say I heard of the problem, hope you get it fixed or replaced

All hardware has issues.

Depends on the frequency and percentage of units that have the defect.

We are all going to be seeing Consoles having issues more than others because that is something we are exposed to being on Gaf.
IDK, my PS4 is in its 7th year and still going very strong. I was following forums back then and don’t remember anything remotely problematic as this time around. At least, not this early on.

Quite possibly they rushed this console because they knew Microsoft was launching anyway.

Arun1910

IDK, my PS4 is in its 7th year and still going very strong. I was following forums back then and don’t remember anything remotely problematic as this time around. At least, not this early on.

Quite possibly they rushed this console because they knew Microsoft was launching anyway.

I could post many more links, but you can use Google too.

Just because your console didn't have issues doesn't mean they didn't exist back then too. Hardware can have defects, it's just one of those things that happen when you're mass producing.

Again, this would be a massive issue if all PS5 problems were widespread, but they aren't.

My PS5 arrived yesterday, and what do you know: it's busted.

When I press the eject disc button the disc simply doesn't come out. The system thinks the disc has been ejected, though, and pressing the button again causes it to beep like there is no disc in the tray. People online are saying that putting the system in horizontal orientation fixes the problem, but that didn't work for me.

I took off the side panel and used the manual ejector screw and that worked to get the disc out, thankfully. Since I did that I've been able to eject discs, knock on wood, but the drive makes an unpleasant clicking noise when it does so.

I'm sending this back to Sony, but before I do I wondered if anyone else has had this problem and if there's an easy fix.

Proof of Your PSN ID, pics and where you located at ??!! Naowwww!!!!!

Nezzeroth

Is this your first console launch? Literally pick any of them, they all have issues. What's important is whether it's widespread or not.

Grinchy

Banned
It sucks having to send it in for repairs like this that you can easily do yourself. Like if they just straight up sent you a new disc drive, you could swap it out and never have to lose weeks without your PS5.

I understand why they would never do it that way, but it would be sweet.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Seems like Sony pulled the problems from Xbox 360 launch, it seems like it had to get out ASAP and get past quality check fast.

I haven't noticed many complaining about Xbox Series X besides it takes a smoke now and then, but on the other hand I dont read that many here having an series x to begin with.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Proof of Your PSN ID, pics and where you located at ??!! Naowwww!!!!!

Dont worry I've called the supervisor

tumblr_inline_p7okjxdyt91qdspqr_540.jpg

geordiemp geordiemp Can you come to the front desk, i think we have a fud spreader.

The hardware stuff I can kind of understand minus the coil whine. But I have bigger issues with things like pay only cloud saves, unappealing updates to the next gen versions of games (Destiny 2 is a perfect example of this), no way to put PS5 games on external storage even if you can't play them there, no way to expand the internal storage for the next few months, no VRR (hi Riky Riky ), and my personal issues with the new UI. There is no reason why their competition can get these things right but the market leader didn't handle these things at launch. Most of these things will be waved off but they should be held accountable and produce the best product I'd expect from the market leader.

TeamGhobad

Banned
there is a hole you need to stick an untangled paperclip into inorder for the disc to come out. but have you tried blowing on it?

Antelope

The hardware stuff I can kind of understand minus the coil whine. But I have bigger issues with things like pay only cloud saves, unappealing updates to the next gen versions of games (Destiny 2 is a perfect example of this), no way to put PS5 games on external storage even if you can't play them there, no way to expand the internal storage for the next few months, no VRR (hi Riky Riky ), and my personal issues with the new UI. There is no reason why their competition can get these things right but the market leader didn't handle these things at launch. Most of these things will be waved off but they should be held accountable and produce the best product I'd expect from the market leader.
What is your issue with Destiny 2? The next gen update is like playing a completely difference game and I’ve had only two crashes since the patch dropped.

I should probably use my disk drive. I assume it works, but who knows.

reinking

Gold Member
Anyone still have rest mode issues? My games don't freeze anymore however one out of every 4/5 times I put the thing into rest mode the screen turns green and the system just shuts off lmao.
I still don't use it. Too scared.

OP - Did you try using eject from the menu or just the manual button? Even if it "works" now I would send it back if it is making abnormal disc noise. I am good on the PS5 front but my Series X has an issue with the disc drive. I have no problem sending it back but I am holding off for stock replenishment/later batch model. We both have a year so no rush.

Paulxo87

I still don't use it. Too scared.

OP - Did you try using eject from the menu or just the manual button? Even if it "works" now I would send it back if it is making abnormal disc noise. I am good on the PS5 front but my Series X has an issue with the disc drive. I have no problem sending it back but I am holding off for stock replenishment/later batch model. We both have a year so no rush.

I mean until recently I just rolled the dice with it. Every time it crashed it just said the unit was not turned off properly etc. I didn't brick anything. Lately though I just shut it off until they fix it just because it's fucking annoying.

I remember at one point in time my ps4 had similar issue actually. It came mid way through it's life so maybe a patch screwed it up

Using the manual screw to eject the disc seems to have "fixed" it to a certain extent - it now ejects discs using the button on the front (and via software), but it makes that ugly clicking noise.

I think I'm gonna wait a couple months, see if there's some sort of hardware revision that fixes these problems, and then send it in.

geordiemp

Dont worry I've called the supervisor

tumblr_inline_p7okjxdyt91qdspqr_540.jpg

geordiemp geordiemp Can you come to the front desk, i think we have a fud spreader.

Got no new games to play on your xbox ?

Sorry guys I am bored with the stupidity and drama of consumer electronics failure comprehension, or maybe some in here are just that thick.

Failure rate of 1 % is normal.just replace it, there is nothing to discuss.

Last edited:
What is your issue with Destiny 2? The next gen update is like playing a completely difference game and I’ve had only two crashes since the patch dropped.

I should probably use my disk drive. I assume it works, but who knows.
Destiny 2 hit the XSX and PS5 the same day. On the XSX I booted it up, the game updated and I was playing. On PS5 I booted it up and it started updating the PS4 BC game. I had to stop that update and uninstall Destiny 2. Then I found it on the PS store and downloaded it again. When I did that the system started downloading BOTH the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game. I had to go online and see which version was the PS4 version and stop that download again. Once it was downloaded you had to make sure the licenses were correct for the stuff you own and get those parts again. It was a total pain and I expect better from Sony.

Krisprolls

Banned

There's zero major problem on ps5.

People just need to understand how stats work.

There are millions of ps5 in the wild. So of course you'll get 3 people having a single problem, that's the nature of electronics and default.

Even if there were 2000, it would still be 0.1 % of 2 million consoles...

And you always have more defaults on ps5 than on a product that sells a lot less than Series S for exemple. If you sell twice as much, you'll get roughly twice as much people complaining on forums.

It's just statistics and it' s meaningless. PS5 is selling a lot more, so there will be more defaults in absolute terms, not in percentage.

My ps5 has zero default and I know nobody who got a faulty one by the way.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
Destiny 2 hit the XSX and PS5 the same day. On the XSX I booted it up, the game updated and I was playing. On PS5 I booted it up and it started updating the PS4 BC game. I had to stop that update and uninstall Destiny 2. Then I found it on the PS store and downloaded it again. When I did that the system started downloading BOTH the PS4 and PS5 versions of the game. I had to go online and see which version was the PS4 version and stop that download again. Once it was downloaded you had to make sure the licenses were correct for the stuff you own and get those parts again. It was a total pain and I expect better from Sony.

I don't know about you, but I don't care about that when I know on ps5 I'll have the best games while I would have zero exclusive on.Series X. Considering the market share, it seems most people think like me.

The games also perform better on PS5, which is a plus.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

There are millions of ps5 in the wild. So of course you'll get 3 people having a single problem, that's the nature of electronics and default.

And you always have more defaults on ps5 than on a product that sells a lot less than Series S for exemple. If you sell twice as much, you'll get roughly twice as much people complaining on forums.

It's just statistics and it' s meaningless. PS5 is selling a lot more, so there will be more defaults in absolute terms, not in percentage.

I think he says it not in regard of the amount of people affected, but the amount of different issues.

But yeah, I agree that those things should not be a source for drama as they are probably the unlucky 1%.

Let's just pray for OP and his faulty drive.

I don't know about you, but I don't care about that when I know on ps5 I'll have the best games while I would have zero exclusive on.Series X. Considering the market share, it seems most people think like me.

The games also perform better on PS5, which is a plus.
Well because I am a multi-platform gamer I care that a company is doing the best they can to earn my money and I won't make excuses for crappy policies or poorly thought out hardware. I know for some it's nice to just bury your head in the sand and eat whatever Company X gives you I am way more selective about the content I purchase and I have no problem calling out crap when I see it. Happy for you in your bubble though.

I know multiple people that have issues with their PS5 so while I won't say it's a major problem there are issues and it should have been addressed before the system launched. Sony should be called out for the issues people have detailed.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
I think he says it not in regard of the amount of people affected, but the amount of different issues.

But yeah, I agree that those things should not be a source for drama as they are probably the unlucky 1%.

Let's just pray for OP and his faulty drive.

Of course they are. I wish people would become smarter after all those launches but apparently no.

When a console has a real problem (involving more than 1 % of consoles), you get dozens of threads about it, like it was the case with Xbox 360 and Red Ring of Death.

Simply because there are dozens of thousands of people affected.

No problem here on PS5 or XSX made more than 1 or 2 short threads, so you can be sure that both consoles are reliable.

Krisprolls

Banned
Well because I am a multi-platform gamer I care that a company is doing the best they can to earn my money and I won't make excuses for crappy policies or poorly thought out hardware. I know for some it's nice to just bury your head in the
I know multiple people that have issues with their PS5 so while I won't say it's a major problem there are issues and it should have been addressed before the system launched. Sony should be called out for the issues people have detailed.

Yeah sure, it's weird it's always the Xbox fans who know people having problems with their PS5 and not everybody else. You're a well known Xbox fanboy, so you will spread PS5 FUD, that's your agenda.

You should use all this energy asking MS for at least a single exclusive at launch, that would be a better use of your time.

The poorly thought out hardware seems to be the Series X by the way, since it's slower than PS5 while costing $100 more.

Last edited:

MacReady13

100% Microsoft have basically nailed the backward compatibility this gen whereas Sony has borked it pretty badly. Shouldn't be this bloody hard!

Night.Ninja

Banned
Yeah sure, it's weird it's always the Xbox fans who know people having problems with their PS5 and not everybody else. You're a well known Xbox fanboy, so you will spread PS5 FUD, that's your agenda.

You should use all this energy asking MS for at least a single exclusive at launch, that would be a better use of your time.

The poorly thought out hardware seems to be the Series X by the way, since it's slower than PS5 while costing $100 more.
tenor.gif

Sure buddy. Only one of us has a custom tag for their console warring. I actually own both systems and can speak from my own personal experiences. Can you say the same?
And Sony still managed a full launch lineup with exclusives and won every single face off. Incredible! Imagine if they tried.....
Yeah they'd have superior BC, a better digital return policy, no annoying coil whine, and free online cloud saves. Alas they are still just platform holder with just as many if not more issues than their competitors.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Yeah they'd have superior BC, a better digital return policy, no annoying coil whine, and free online cloud saves. Alas they are still just platform holder with just as many if not more issues than their competitors.
But what insignificant issues would all of you make up stories about while pretending to own both consoles to not appear biased while the rest of us play New Generation games? You all need something to do until 2023.

Top Bottom