• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Digital Edition could be equipped with 2TB SSD on board, according to a well known retailer

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
According to a well known retailer in germany, the PS5 Digital Edition is equipped with a 2TB SSD.

NJm0m4r.png

👀

Last edited:

yurinka

According to a well known retailer in germany, the PS5 Digital Edition is equipped with a 2TB SSD.

NJm0m4r.png

👀
Fake news, back in the day Sony confirmed the disk less SKU has the same HDD and same everything than the other SKU. They mentioned that the only HW change is the removal of the disc player, and specifically mentioned that the HDDD size is going to be the same for both SKU.

Kerotan

Obviously a 1TB SSD for the ps5 doesn't cost Sony too much otherwise it wouldn't have it. Let's say each one adds €70 to the console (I have no fucking idea). Hypothetically how much more expensive would a 2TB SSD be?

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone else just tired of the 1,000 baseless rumors they've read over the past year or so?

It can be fun to speculate and feed off of rumors and stuff, but this weird launch where no one wants to officially announce anything has dragged it out for so long that the speculation and rumors have just gotten irritating.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That doesn't make any sense really, since all games have to be installed to the HDD anyway. It would also cost a lot more than the 825gb one.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I would hope the disc one is the cheaper one and the digital would have the bigger SSD. That’s gonna be $$$$, a regular 2tb Ssd is like $400

The Alien

Banned
Anyone else just tired of the 1,000 baseless rumors they've read over the past year or so?

It can be fun to speculate and feed off of rumors and stuff, but this weird launch where no one wants to officially announce anything has dragged it out for so long that the speculation and rumors have just gotten irritating.
The only thing I am more sick of that baseless rumors are the dozens of YouTube, etc. videos that follow on 'price leaks', 'studio acquisitions', 'secret spec sauce', and 'game performance metrics'.

They all turn out to be bullshit and in a few days they get debunked and another id is made after the next rumor.

Let's just wait 3 more months.

JLB

Banned
The only thing I am more sick of that baseless rumors are the dozens of YouTube, etc. videos that follow on 'price leaks', 'studio acquisitions', 'secret spec sauce', and 'game performance metrics'.

They all turn out to be bullshit and in a few days they get debunked and another id is made after the next rumor.

three? more like 2

I wish. In reality it looks to be under 850GB of usable space which is a joke this gen, let alone next where we'll only get bigger file sizes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

DonF

Fake news, back in the day Sony confirmed the disk less SKU has the same HDD and same everything than the other SKU. They mentioned that the only HW change is the removal of the disc player, and specifically mentioned that the HDDD size is going to be the same for both SKU.
yeah, and they are confident that eventually the user will add an m.2 drive to expand storage.

Stuart360

2tb?, i guess that ends the speculation about the digital console being cheaper.
Still its the version i would go for.

Grinchy

Banned

Oh man my recommended feed is full of that kinda shit.

I'll see a thread here about some crazy jump to a conclusion based on almost nothing, then on youtube I spot a video with a title stating it as fact with one of those dumb exaggerated face thumbnails.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I wish. In reality it looks to be under 850GB of usable space which is a joke this gen, let alone next where we'll only get bigger file sizes.
Did you not see insomniacs talk on data replication and how they no longer need to do it? Massive reduction in file size, I expect games to have similar file sizes as current gen.

I said this before.
The disk edition will be the cheap entry into the gen.
The digital will be for the hardcore with more space.

PS5 $499
PS5 DE (1.8TB) $599

It makes sense. Hardcore fans buy a lot of games digital.

Some random person in Peru oder South Afrika might want a disk drive.

Last edited:

Exede

The 3% discount is from the reduced VAT on all goods in germany couse of the economy programm to help people couse of COVID-19

Edit: oops to slow

Last edited:

Cyborg

850 gb is terrible for this gen.....
Why do you say stuff like that when you dont know the full picture? It all depends how PlayStation will handle updates/installs and how big the games will be. You shouldn't judge before knowing all.

Tschumi

You know, funnily enough, seeing that price the first thing i thought was "Jesus, people pay more than that each year for new iPhones"

Mm, if i do get one it'll be digital so that's nice.. looks like it would cost more than a disc version now, though~

Allandor

2TB is not possible.
The PS5 has 768 GiB of ssd memory. It could only have a size x-times of the original size because of the chip-layout.
1TB or 2TB are not sizes that work this way.

Also it doesn't make sense to add additional (and costly) ssd capacity to the cheaper model.

btw, the linked articel mentioned the size-problem.
Also they updated the article that otto.de took the corresponding offer down. It is no longer available.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Is this the same leaker who said “I heard they were releasing a version of the PS3 without Blu-ray?”

Rolla

Banned
If the XBOX One X launched at $499 and with both Sony and Microsoft have indicated that their consoles will be retailed at a price point we're familiar with, why do people insist the price will be higher?

I'm thinking $599 or $549 where?

It's a business model that has from it's inception made trillions off the back-end on royalty fees alone.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i really hope we get a 1.65TB model. 825GB is a pathetic joke. everyone else uses 1TB but oh no Sony had to go with 825GB. how idiotic. USE 1TB.

shit will be expensive tho even for the measly 825GB model.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
LOL, not happening. The digital edition is made as an entry level from a pricing prospetive. 2TB would add eadily 100$ at the minimum.

Birdo

Banned
Physical and Digital games take up the same space on a HDD/SSD (So many people don't realise this lol).

A bigger SSD would actually make the digital version cost more than the physical :messenger_grinning_smiling:

saintjules

The 825gb is enough to start for me. I personally won't be loading dozens of games at once. Play a few, delete a few. When they announce the SSD you can use as expandable storage, then I'll look into something extra.

Last edited:
Top Bottom