• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 and Xbox One in 2014: A Video Game Onslaught

noah111

Still Alive
svB5RZH.jpg

Title: Sunset Overdrive | Developer: Insomniac | Release date: TBA 2014 | Genre: Open World Shooter | Official Website | Platform(s):
FAVk8Nr.png

Media: E3 Reveal Teaser
As a long-time Insomniac fan who's owned basically every single game of theirs (not to mention played through all of them x2+), I have to admit to part of me being a bit disappointed that they "switched".

Their excuse for going multi-platform was one that made good sense, 'we want to reach a broader audience'. Apart from a 'money hat', what's their excuse for going XBO exclusive, exactly?

In any case, their latest stuff has been a huge let down for me personally (it stings me to say that), so despite the fact that I'll probably only be getting a PS4, I really hope Sunset Overdrive is able to re-ignite their classic excellence, in a sense.

Has any Japanese studios announced anything other than Kojima with Metal Gear? Anything big and notable anyway...

Nothing from TGS or Sony's pre-TGS event got confirmed for overseas but I think it's pretty safe to assume Dynasty Warriors and maybe Suda51's next game (forgot the name) will come over in 2014.

Added Starbound and Shadow of the Beast.

Are we sure Rime is confirmed for 2014?

they usually show their gamescom games to later release them from summer to fall of next year.... (that or the game gets canned later on)

it would be odd for them to just show a 2015 game so early unless the need to push back the game

TokiDoki

Great thread , was thinking back then why there isn't a thread like this .

Many interesting games there to offset the lacklustre PS4 launch .

Evil Within , Order 1886 , Witcher 3 Wild Hunt , DA : Inquisition and Transistor pretty much top my list

Dragun619

Whoa, slick work op.

Looking very forward to seeing how the first quarter of PS4 games go, before I get one myself, and so far it doesn't look like there will be a drought. Nice

noah111

Still Alive
There's just something about Sunset Overdrive that rubs me the wrong way, but I can't put my finger on it.
Have to agree but i'm not sure why, either. Maybe it's the use of humans? Maybe aliens would've made more sense. Or maybe nothing appearing to make sense is what it has going for it.

Rhindle

Very nice OP.

Although it looks like a lot of content if you just list retail and digital titles for both consoles, it has to be said that it's a rather thin line up if that's all we're getting for 2014.

Hopefully it will even out if the average quality is higher than previous generations, i.e. a larger proportion of published games are worth buying/playing.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
There's just something about Sunset Overdrive that rubs me the wrong way, but I can't put my finger on it.
I'm thinking quite the opposite. Looks like something special, the stuff videogame dreams are made of. I hope Insomniac knocks it out of the park.

Thanks all! :)

Added Bound by Flame, an action RPG for the PS4 (also on PS3 and 360).

Very nice OP.

Although it looks like a lot of content if you just list retail and digital titles for both consoles, it has to be said that it's a rather thin line up if that's all we're getting for 2014.

Hopefully it will even out if the average quality is higher than previous generations, i.e. a larger proportion of published games are worth buying/playing.
There's a lot more than what I've put in the OP so far, too many to list but I'm trying. There are also games that still have yet to be announced for next year (Uncharted's probably next year too). With that said, even what's on the first page is heavy to me. I think it's the opposite of thin, rather a lot of substance there.

And in its first year, the Wii U still did not have this many games in the pipeline. This is thread alone is a big fuck you to the media talking about waiting for next Gen. Sorry, I'm not trying to miss out on any of these. Def picking up that x1 next year.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So.... is Witcher 3 gonna instantly become the best-looking game in existence once it's out or is there competition?

AmyS

I did not play the first version of Final Fantasy XIV and I never played FFXI Online on any platform, however count me in for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS4.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I don't remember if this is the future hype thread i posted in earlier today or not so let me post again to make sure. I'm down for any and all hype threads for 2014 games. Bring it.

Great list apart from the ordering, is it by date or what? I'd suggest doing it by exclusives then multi-plats (each ordered from physical release to digital-only releases).
Originally had it going by alphabetical order, but after adding new games I said fuck it, lol...I guess putting them in order of platform is easier.

I can't view the first page on any of my iOS devices. I've never have had this issue before on GAF so I don't know what is on the first page that causes Safari to crash.

I'm sure it's epic.

RexNovis

Banned
There we go. Now listed by platform (Xbox One -> PS4 ->Multiplat). And in alphabetical order too! :p

Wohoo thanks for doing that! So much cleaner to read through! :D Would you mind adding a header for each section? Just for further clarity and my general OCDness. So "XB1" as a header for that part of the post then "PS4" as a header for that part of the post followed finally by a "Multiplatform" header for the final part of the post. Organization FTW! :D

Edit: Oh, and this would also allow you to eliminate the "Platforms" category and free up the post from a substantial amount of unnecessary platform designation pictures. With any luck it may allow iOS to load the post without crashing the browser ;)

A lot of stuff I'm not particularly interested in, but the one's i am look VERY good.

Thief
MGS 5
Destiny
Dragon Age 3
Sunset Overdrive (hope it's as good as it looks)
Bayonetta 2
The Witness
Titanfall (basically just for the parkour elements)
Mirrors Edge 2 (fingers crossed)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
As a long-time Insomniac fan who's owned basically every single game of theirs (not to mention played through all of them x2+), I have to admit to part of me being a bit disappointed that they "switched".

Their excuse for going multi-platform was one that made good sense, 'we want to reach a broader audience'. Apart from a 'money hat', what's their excuse for going XBO exclusive, exactly?
They are an independent developer and Microsoft made the best deal to bankroll the kind of game they wanted to make.

What more reason is necessary?

RexNovis

Banned
So

XB1: 9 next gen console exclusives
PS4: 19 next gen console exclusives
Multiplatform: 18 next gen games

So PS4 has more exclusives announced than multiplatform games announced and it has 10 more announced exclusives than XB1?!?!?! Wow!!!!!!! That's unreal O o

Ansatz

Awesome thread.

I'm not sure about the games, there are too many question marks surrounding many of them, for now I'm looking at Titanfall, The Witness and Transistor.

100MS

Neo Member
Great list and so many games. Definitely the list will grow more after VGX reveals.

Also your missing some title like:
Oddworld: New N’ Tasty!
Peggle 2

Rixa

Title: Don't Starve

Synopsis

Play as Wilson, an intrepid Gentleman Scientist who has been trapped by a demon and transported to a mysterious wilderness world. Wilson must learn to exploit his environment and its inhabitants if he ever hopes to escape and find his way back home. Enter a strange and unexplored world full of strange creatures, dangers, and surprises. Gather resources to craft items and structures that match your survival style. Play your way as you unravel the mysteries of this strange land.

Uncompromising Survival & World Exploration: No instructions. No help. No hand holding. Start with nothing and craft, hunt, research, farm and fight to survive.

Dark and Whimsical Visuals: 2D characters and odd creatures inhabiting a unique 3D world.

Randomly Generated New Worlds: Want a new map? No problem! At any time you can generate a new living and breathing world that hates you and wants you to die.

Screenshots

One more turn...
Erm one more map for me...
No problem...(Time is going to be problem)

Seems that this is going to be time sinkhole for me. Remote playing adds so much possibilities, doesnt matter if the tv where PS4 is is reserved. I can always spend time and RP!

I cannot wait! 2014 is going to be excellent.

Side note: No way that the Division releases in 2014.

I have a feeling The Order won't come out next year either. Just hearing RAD talk it doesn't sound like the game is less than a year away from completion. I hope I'm wrong though

we'll see more games, but these are 40 titles, some of which are late ports, don't have full names, and might not see release in 2014. and we're including two systems to get this full lineup.

i'm not saying there's not an impressive amount of things, but you can combine pretty much any two systems and come up with a list like that. take vita + wii u:
I don't get why you would even say that. So we should not be excited for what's to come? Impressive or not it's exciting. These consoles just launched and a new generation is underway.

Top Bottom