• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 style modern games

Playing signalis, and as someone who would consider the ps1 generation my entry in gaming what are some great modern games that utilize its style similar to this? We have a million and a half games that do the bit style arcade games from the 80s...but what are some must play games, similar to signalis that utilize the visual and game design conventions of the ps1 era games?

SIGNALIS_Combat_2.png

metal-gear-solid.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Honestly i'm not too into this style, i perfer the 6th gen graphical style. It's nostalgic but it also doesn't look incredibly polygonal and pixelated. The only modern game i can think of that uses this though is AHiT.

but people came here to see new PS1 style games so... if any of y'all remember that yo noid 2 fangame/meme game from a couple years ago the developer team that worked on that is making a new original 3d platformer now

only thing that is innaccurate about it is the fact it runs at 60fps... lord knows a game with that much fluidity in animation and environments that big is likely gonna run at 25 tops

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
oh yeah, some screenshots of the game too (from the steam page)

ss_63525ccfb0479b4e212fe1f056eddbc62673bae1.600x338.jpg

ss_8b9d4f52a06890d5e95e951bc1f784fcde505b95.600x338.jpg

ss_3554c0ed6bbaf5b08f60a14c97d425456aaf60f3.600x338.jpg

Even disregaring the PS1 aesthetic the game just looks genuinely good visually. Very nice lighting and colorful visuals, amazing color palette too. And ofc the animations which look gorgeous

It honestly feels more like a demake of a PS2/Wii game than an actual PS1 game. Which isn't bad by any means, infact it's even more unique because of that

Top Bottom