• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Zero/Fatal Frame 5 Review Thread

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
But the scene didn't worked in the original anyway, because the game itself exploited its characters with the hilarious "sex sells" costumes.

Not during your first playthrough though. I was indifferent to the costume change, it's not affecting the game, but the change in the scene above makes the scene almost comical, certainly taking away its whole meaning. WTF was Nintendo thinking there.

Nerrel

Not during your first playthrough though. I was indifferent to the costume change, it's not affecting the game, but the change in the scene above makes the scene almost comical, certainly taking away its whole meaning. WTF was Nintendo thinking there.

I don't really know. Honestly, I understand why they censored the bonus costume use; I don't agree with it, but that kind of extreme ecchi content doesn't play the same way here as it does in Japan.

But in the cutscene, the most revealing part of the costume was actually already censored by a scarf. What you could see of the bikini wasn't that risque- certainly nowhere near Bayonetta flipping her bare naked ass directly into the camera in Bayo 2- it wasn't depicted in a sexual or perverted context, and it had a narrative purpose. It was definitely censorship to alter it, and ill judged censorship at that. The only way this decision could possibly make sense is if they were trying to qualify for a "T" rating, which, looking at the violent content, they obviously weren't.

This is why other countries laugh at the US for it's bizarre double standards when it comes to sex and violence. Any amount of graphic violence (including throat slitting) is OK, but god forbid a buttcrack or even a swimsuit is allowed in a the same M rated game.

-shadow-

Which makes me wonder, if we're looking odd at the US for that why not Japan also. A game can have the most skimpy outfits for 13 year old character and it's all fine, but yet the moment a actual bare nipple or butt is shown of a adult it gets censored there also in games. Same goes for extrem (on screen) violence, it all gets censored in Japan for some odd reason.

Which makes me wonder, if we're looking odd at the US for that why not Japan also. A game can have the most skimpy outfits for 13 year old character and it's all fine, but yet the moment a actual bare nipple or butt is shown of a adult it gets censored there also in games. Same goes for extrem (on screen) violence, it all gets censored in Japan for some odd reason.

Because culture

Sucks to hear about the lukewarm reception the game is getting, I still want to play it eventually but it's not a must-buy immediately now for me. I'll keep an eye on what people are saying though.

Every time I look at footage of the game I can't help but feel it would look much more dynamic and visually interesting with a more traditional survival horror camera.

adroit

Anyone know what time it unlocks on the eshop?
There's no mention of a midnight launch on nintendo.com or the eShop so I have an unpleasant feeling it won't be released until tomorrow morning at the usual eShop release time. Sigh. Would have liked to kick off the download tonight.

Of course, I hope my hunch is wrong.

K' Dash

Anyone from Spain have their orders for the LE cancelled? Gonintendo is reporting from a revogamers article that Nintendo cut the allotment by 60%

http://www.revogamers.net/noticias/...-provocando-cancelaciones-reservas-16867.html

I can't read Spanish so I can't vouch for the article myself.

Yup, it seems they didn't get enough copies to cover the preorders (60% less), they will be giving the game to the people who preordered first, they also say there won't be a second batch of games.

kunonabi

Yup, it seems they didn't get enough copies to cover the preorders (60% less), they will be giving the game to the people who preordered first, they also say there won't be a second batch of games.

This has got to be the most poorly orchestrated release by Nintendo in a long time.

This has got to be the most poorly orchestrated release by Nintendo in a long time.
No kidding. Unless the conductor is specifically aiming for failure.

I feel kind of guilty for buying the game knowing everything Nintendo is doing intentionally wrong with it. It's how I imagine I would feel, with a better company, not buying a game that I had been clamoring for.

kunonabi

Seriously, I don't get why they even co-fund the series now if this is how they're going to handle it. Its not like Japan is buying horror games on Nintendo systems in bulk either.

At this point Nintendo should pull a SEGA and buy their own ATLUS to handle their more niche releases that they have no bloody clue what to do with.

Ah, sounds like retailer politics to me.
A particular retailer buys X amount of copies. Competing (and influential or else!) retailer decides at the last minute they want more.
Retail outlets are vicious as fuck, yo. We need to remember that publisher sell to retailers what sell to us.

EDIT: I'm totally going to admit though that I don't know who are the big retailers in the EU...

Yagharek

Eurogamer didn't rate it highly. In fact, they gave it an "Avoid".

I was hoping for a return to form for this series, a reason to sit around in the dark with those same friends and relive the rituals of old. What Maiden of Black Water is instead is a repetitive slog through the same environments meeting the same ghosts so often that any power they have to scare is very quickly lost. If you've never played a Project Zero game before, you might well enjoy some of the more atmospheric locations; the tattered tatami mats, the glowing Shinto shrines, the - I wish I was making this up - womb cavern. But otherwise, don't turn off the lights. Turn off the console, get up, walk out, and close the door behind you.

Review refers to the writer's experiences playing the earlier games, for context.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-20-project-zero-maiden-of-black-water

Top Bottom