• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preloading on Steam is pointless, why do people even bother with this?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Might as well be, 3 Megabit. It's about 60xish faster than 56k though, so I guess there is that.

Heh, yeah. Is that the highest speed available to you at all, or are the prices unreasonable? Are you in one of the US areas where there is literally just one option? Guess I'm pretty lucky here in Sweden, I can choose from like 20 different providers, with speeds up to 2Gbps (I intentionally have only 100Mbps though, don't see the point in paying for anything faster).

Last edited:
Heh, yeah. Is that the highest speed available to you at all, or are the prices unreasonable? Are you in one of the US areas where there is literally just one option? Guess I'm pretty lucky here in Sweden, I can choose from like 20 different providers, with speeds up to 2Gbps (I intentionally have only 100Mbps though, don't see the point in paying for anything faster).
I'm in Florida, United States. It's the only option available to me - right outside of the "neighborhood" there is 30+mbps DSL (not sure how high they go) and probably even faster cable from another company, they just don't come down "our road". And the DSL company seems unwilling to upgrade their own line in our specific area. We'd pay whatever we needed to in order to fix this, lol. I had 100+ at my old house and the absolute shock of coming back to speeds I used almost 20 years ago is insufferable. Back then 3MBPS was OK, but the internet has changed, everything has changed since then.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Do you have a really old/POS CPU or something?

It's unencrypting files is what is happening, very CPU dependent.

If you can DL a ton of data really quickly, why does this even matter to you? lol

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
I'm in Florida, United States. It's the only option available to me - right outside of the "neighborhood" there is 30+mbps DSL (not sure how high they go) and probably even faster cable from another company, they just don't come down "our road". And the DSL company seems unwilling to upgrade their own line in our specific area. We'd pay whatever we needed to in order to fix this, lol. I had 100+ at my old house and the absolute shock of coming back to speeds I used almost 20 years ago is insufferable. Back then 3MBPS was OK, but the internet has changed, everything has changed since then.

This is similar to me in Britain, I had 80Mbps over 10 years ago where I used to live, then I moved somewhere more rural and could only get about 15Mb. Although I still remember dial-up and then the early days of broadband where 1.5Mb was high end, so it's not too bad. For most things it's no problem but big games do take a while. They have actually recently put new fibre cables in the street and I can get 1 gigabit now if I want but I'm not really fussed for now, I've got used to it.

ahtlas7

giphy.gif
I can’t help it. Brussels thinks it’s 1982.
Why use tax €€ for infrastructure when you have a monarchy to pay for.

A.Romero

I didn't pre-load Starfield on Gamepass and I've been waiting a long time for it to download. Unlike Steam the Xbox App simply doesn't max out my connection (which isn't that fast for today's standards).

If the argument is against paying for it early I can see how it would be useful paying 24 hours before. I mean it's really the same unless you wait for the reviews and decide if it's worth it to buy the game at launch or not. If you are already decided then it doesn't matter. Specially with credit cards (click now, pay later).

TheAssist

This is a really narrow minded viewpoint. Have you never heard of this fantasy land called "the countryside" where people often dont have fiber cable to the house?

Hudo

I can’t help it. Brussels thinks it’s 1982.
Why use tax €€ for infrastructure when you have a monarchy to pay for.
Sadly, not having a monarchy to pay for anymore (I am German) doesn't mean your government is spending €€ on infrastructure either....

Last edited:
Top Bottom