• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerful Earthquakes hit Japan and Tsunami warning issued off coast of Fukushima and Miyagi prefects

STARSBarry

Gold Member
thumb_dy-y-50-quake-me-up-before-you-oghomoro-reward-53282623.png

Doom85

Not to downplay this or anything but the 2011 earthquake was >9.0, which is orders of magnitude larger in energy released. There are other factors like proximity to the surface, but it’s probably not time to panic.

That’s somewhat reassuring. I just watched Abroad in Japan’s video where he spent a week with Ken Watanabe in this small town he helped rebuild after the prior disaster. To see more deaths and yet more homes and lives ruined while the prior tragedy is still in their minds would be just cruel. Hoping nothing major occurs and they can continue their restored lives in peace.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Japan has it fucked.
They really deserve to get a good chunk of Russia after russia is parted
I'm pretty sure much of Asia would prefer Japan never own any land on the continent after all the atrocities they committed before and during WW2, even if that culture is long gone.

lachesis

Scary... I think they actually passed the anniversary of Tohoku earthquake of 2011, just a few days ago.
Hope there's no casualties everyone would stay safe.

DrAspirino

Banned
Just days after that demon spirit rock broke?

Side Eye Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Anyway hopefully there weren't any deaths.
For a seismic country like Japan, 7.3 is kinda "minor" (like in my country). Maybe some cracked walls in a house or two and that would be it. When it's above 7.5 or even 8.0, we're talking about really disastrous earthquakes with death counts and such.

Now, put a 7.3 earthquaker anywhere else on the planet and entire cities would be totaled.

Last edited:

I live in a suburb of Los Angeles so this is really nothing new to me but what gets me is how to save space many people live in mid-rise to high-rise homes. And the higher you go the more the shaking/swaying is magnified and that terrifies me to no end about getting caught like that. The Whittier quake in '87 was something else but my grandparents lived in the apartment above ours and I remember trying to help pick up a lot of what fell over while in a jitter of nerves from just being one floor up.

Covid cases re-emerging in China, Russia invading Ukraine, prices of energy skyrocketing with the accompanying generalized inflation...Now this..2022 is off to a great start! 😐😐😐

And to think Taiwan's still on the menu.

Top Bottom