• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post Apocalyptic GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

huxley00

I thought it might be interesting to have a post apocalyptic fiction thread. The sub-genre is large enough to warrant it I say! My main background is books, but I'd love to hear some recommendations on graphic novels, movies, etc. Here is a list of my favorites....

- Shadow and Claw

nFDFPYt.jpg

Gene Wolfe is a master of prose. He has a very intense and extremely detailed writing style. It takes a few chapters to get the flow of his language, once you cross that bridge, it's impossible to put down. The story takes place on a Earth or a place very similar to Earth, billions of years after our civilization has ended. The sun is dying, strange, ancient technologies still exist. The story focuses on an executioner and his path through this world. I love this book, highly recommended.

- Day of the Triffids

BeobCYw.jpg

This novel was written in the early 1950s and holds up quite nicely. The story focuses on a plant that becomes somewhat sentient and a solar event that causes blindness to most of the population. The plants begin hunting humans down and eating them, you follow a man who began his time in a hospital, face bandaged, avoiding the effects of the cosmic event. Its a fun/interesting story, not very plausible but quite well written and entertaining.

- On the Beach

da6T5bV.jpg

Another older novel, probably one of the most depressing post apocalyptic books out there. You follow a small population as they live out the last days of life on earth. A nuclear war broke out, everyone is dead except for this group of people in Australia. The jet stream hasn't brought enough radiation to kill everyone yet...but it will, and its inevitable. The story essentially focuses on how humans may deal with absolute and certain destruction. I definitely recommend it.

- Earth Abides

fT1oP5d.jpg

A virus takes out most of the population. This book centers on a small group of survivors, how they build a community and how modern knowledge slowly slips from their grasp, a good read and a powerful ending.

- Oryx and Crake

H7ETDIt.jpg

This one kind of snuck up on me. I think I was so surprised by it as it simply seems so plausible. Follow characters into a near future where human organs are being grown inside pigs. The book focuses largely on a friendship between two boys who grow into very different men (and the conflicts that arise from that and great intelligence). Kind of bleak, worth a read though. I DO NOT recommend the followup novels, they focus on something else entirely...boring.

- Brave New World

vGdzvKo.jpg

Everyone knows this, a classic, worth a read.

- Dark Tower I - Gunslinger

VhqEfJf.jpg

Stephen King's first entry in the Dark Tower series, written sometime in the late 70s if I remember right. As a standalone book, it holds up. You follow a Clint Eastwood type, last of a generation of gunslingers from a fallen kingdom. He is tracking the man who ruined his life, his friends and his country and will stop at nothing to get to him. Like Shadow and Claw, this book focuses on an Earth far in the future where remnants of old technology still exist in places.

- I Am Legend

CTvmlni.jpg

Richard Mattheson is the master of the short story. I doubt any other author has had so many stories turned into tv shows and movies (maybe Stephen King, maybe). This is a vampire story with an unusual twist. The story focuses largley on a solitary man, quite possibly the last man alive. Where most books focus on the practical elements of survival, this one focuses mainly on the mental struggle, highly recommended (and short!). The Will Smith movie of the same name loosely follows the story, not the same at all.

- Fahrenheit 451

YhDPavL.jpg

I would almost categorize this as a dark comedy, if you're into that sort of thing, I'd recommend it. The story focuses on a fireman, isntead of puting out fires, modern firemen have the job of setting fires...to books. Destroy old knowledge and focus on the new, watch tv, race cars and ignore anything that requires critical thinking.

LmveP1l.jpg

There is a reason this is lauded as the best dystopian novel ever written. It is extremely easy to place yourself in the shoes of the main character. I love this book so much, my favorite part is
When he is given the speech while in prison. You know the main character is right, but the antagonist is so intelligent and so delusional, you can't help but see his points. Right and wrong cease to exist, it is only the will of the party and there is simply no stopping that, ever. Really depressing.

- The Road

8J9LJr9.jpg

Cormac McCarthy is one of my favorite authors, I'd highly recommend reading any of his other non-apocalyptic fiction. This book focuses on a solitary man with his son and their effort to survive a post apocalyptic world. The sun is blocked out by a haze of ash, it almost seems as the world itself is burning. This novel has some really dark scenes, really dark, still recommended.

- The Stand

gvBOpzH.jpg

Great book, I've read it 3 or 4 times over the years. The book focuses on several different characters, their stories are told through differing points of views (somewhat like Game of Thrones). Classic good vs. evil with a post apocalyptic backdrop. I wouldn't recommend the tv mini series from the 90s though, please spare yourself that!

- One Second After

zSNxV0R.jpg

A newer book, follows a town after a low atmosphere nuclear bomb is set off. A large scale EMP blast takes out most electronic devices in a large section of the United States. Follow a single character as his town struggles to survive internal and external conflicts brought on by the lack of resources and panic. Pretty good.

The film the BBC made in the 1980s about a nuclear war called, it was called threads. Most realistic portrayal ive seen on that subject.

Aiii

So not worth it
The further I got through your post the more worried I got The Stand wasn't going to be in there. Especially when you had the Dark Tower up higher.

But we're good, it's all good.

I love love LOOOOOOOOOVE this genre <3

*subscribes*

I've read 1984, Brave New World, Oryx and Crake and Fahrenheit 451 from that list <3 Love them, gorgeous books.

I've also read the hand maid's tale. It was cute.

Oh, if you wants recommendations:

- Akira is a cute post apocalyptic anime movie.
- Also Brazil is one of my most favourite movies ever.
- Books: Kurt Vonnegut's Cat Cradle and Slaughterhouse V

I highly recommend

A Canticle for Leibowitz

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

World Made by Hand

World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler

The Postman

The Postman by David Brin

Make Room! Make Room!

Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison

The Old Man and the Wasteland

The Old Man and the Wasteland by Nick Cole

Also good
Swan Song
The Road
California
Eternity Road
The Dog Stars
Lucifer's Hammer
Earth Abides
Alas, Babylon
I Am Legend
Oryx and Crake / The Year of the Flood
Parable of the Sower / Parable of the Talents

kris.

Banned
I Am Legend is probably one of my favorite books and i highly recommend it. the movie is garbage in comparison.

huxley00

The film the BBC made in the 1980s about a nuclear war called, it was called threads. Most realistic portrayal ive seen on that subject.

I watched that on a GAF recommendation, starts slow...but Jesus, that last half, dark dark dark and pretty scary/realistic. Very powerful film, gives you a good idea of the fear people felt back in the Cold War days.

I Am Legend is probably one of my favorite books and i highly recommend it. the movie is garbage in comparison.

I was just ranting to someone about this the other day. The book is so good. And the story is RIGHT. THERE! You don't need to change it or if you do you don't need to do it that much. The work was done for the movie creators already but they basically reworked the entire thing (other than there being vampires and the main guy's name is Neville). And what a lost opportunity by destroying that ending. One of the coolest 'reveals' ever and they totally disregarded it. *sigh*

EDIT: This post also applies to The Postman

Ruruja

Good selection OP, however I would say some aren't post-apocalyptic but are set in a dystopian future. There needs to be an apocalypse.

F!ReW!Re

Subscribed to the thread.
I'll start reading Shadow & Claw when I'm starting my backpacking trip in October.

One minor nitpick about the OP;

The Dark Tower series;
I don't agree with the assessment that Roland's "World" is the future earth, I always thought of it as just a different World or Dimension that's get accessed by those "doors" or portals. (Else it would basically be a time travel story). But I love the Dark Tower so it's a great recommendation anyway :p

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Good selection OP, however I would say some aren't post-apocalyptic but are set in a dystopian future. There needs to be an apocalypse.

BUT aren't dystopias just apocalypses of our humanity??

I love dystopian fiction, I've come to have a distaste for "post-apocalyptic" after seeing so many brown video games. Read 1984 for the first time earlier this year (lol) it was amazing. I might try to check out the Road. I've always found On the Beach interesting but I already know what it's about so I don't see why I should subject myself to being depressed just so I can actually read it (or see the movie, what's the word on that?).

Edit: 1984 spoilers
Somehow, even after reading the whole book, I thought it would have some kind of happy or happy-ish ending. I was just like :O as he said a cold farewell to his girl, waiting for something to happen, some resolution, some making amends (but they can't of course), and then he goes and cries in the bar and he loves BB. Cold as fuck

zsswimmer

Subbed. I love the post apocalyptic/dystopian genre. And I haven't read many of the books listed in the OP so it looks like I could keep myself busy for a good bit

F!ReW!Re

Yeah, there are several different ways to look at it for sure, might want to spoiler those points a bit though!

Way ahead of you ;-)
Anyway, for Book of the new Sun;
Is there a version out with all 4 books combined? Because it's annoying to have to look for sequals while backpacking around Asia :p

Killzig

Dr. Bloodmoney, or How We Got Along After the Bomb is a good post apocalyptic book to read.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. I love it for being weird most of all. Talking dogs, communing with the world of the dead, a story-teller in dead orbit. It's sloppily written in the same way a lot of PKD is, but that just makes me love it more.

Another one that I consider a classic is This Immortal by Zelazny.
m2OHVBi.jpg

Earth has fallen apart, now it's a curiosity for aliens. They come check out what it looks like when a civilization/advanced race dies / is in the process of dying. Mythological beasts roam around in radiated landscapes.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQ8D1JS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For a more recent suggestion...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307389073/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

huxley00

Way ahead of you ;-)
Anyway, for Book of the new Sun;
Is there a version out with all 4 books combined? Because it's annoying to have to look for sequals while backpacking around Asia :p

You know, I'll say this....the first book is an absolute masterpiece of the sci fi genre, I didn't much care for the rest :/

huxley00

You have to spoiler them in your quote as well lol (I don't mind but you're right)

Thats true, any spoilers I tried to keep to stuff that was on the back cover of the book or revealed within the first chapter, hope I didn't get too detailed!

F!ReW!Re

Thats true, any spoilers I tried to keep to stuff that was on the back cover of the book or revealed within the first chapter, hope I didn't get too detailed!

He's talking about your quote of my spoilerish text of The Dark Tower.
My original post is now spoiler tagged, but that doesn't change the quoted text in your post :p

Carcetti

For something really bizarre, go read War Against Cthorr novels. They're about this strange new ecosystem taking over Earth's biosphere and in the middle of the 2nd or 3rd book there's strange, strange part where the main character gets taken to a cultish brainwashing session where he learns a new kind of morality. Something about the whole thing gave me creeps and made me suspect the author is actually some kind of a psycho.

This film scarred me for life as a child

When_the_Wind_Blows_1986.jpeg

It started an obsession of mine with post apocalyptic scenarios which culminated in me visiting Pripyat in 2008..

Ludovico

I've been trying to get into this sub genre. Any good recommendations for my first foray into it?

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy.
Very short, beautifully written, it focuses on a father and son surviving in post-apocalyptic United States as they journey towards the west coast water.

esterk

Very short, beautifully written, it focuses on a father and son surviving in post-apocalyptic United States as they journey towards the west coast.
Cool. I've had my eye on it for a while so I'll check it out.

How's the movie in comparison, by the way?

Very short, beautifully written, it focuses on a father and son surviving in post-apocalyptic United States as they journey towards the west coast.

They were going to the west coast? I thought they were
going south and east? I'm probably remembering wrong but I thought they were going from like upper New York state area and ended up on the coast of Georgia? Maybe I'm mixing up books.

Cool. I've had my eye on it for a while so I'll check it out.

How's the movie in comparison, by the way?

Even though you didn't ask me, I'm gonna answer! Yeeeeeeha! I thought it was well done and very faithful to the book.

Ludovico

They were going to the west coast? I thought they were
going south and east? I'm probably remembering wrong but I thought they were going from like upper New York state area and ended up on the coast of Georgia? Maybe I'm mixing up books.

Oops, that actually sounds a bit more plausible...I just remembered it was somewhere towards the beach.

And yeah, esterk, the movie's great. The book's really short, I'd recommend you read it first and create your own image of what post-apocalyptic looks like to you, and McCarthy does a great job of creating that type of depressing atmosphere. Can't go wrong either way though.

Another point of entry is Alas Babylon. This was required reading for us in high school, it's about a family that lives on a farm and how they cope during and following a large nuclear event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom