• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portishead curate/play I'll Be Your Mirror Festival: London, Jul 23-24 (+ interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, they still haven't written anything for a new album, so don't get excited. They're thinking about starting to write early 2012. But they are touring this summer

3YRm7.png

Festival Page

They're also doing one in Asbury Park, NJ, Sept 30 to Oct 2.

Additionally, they're playing:

Utrecht, Netherlands (June 15)

Werchter, Belgium (July 2)

Nimes, France (July 19)

Nyon, Switzerland (July 20)

(there are a bunch more events and festivals they're listed as playing, but they differ from site to site and I don't know which is definitive; here's another list)

-------------------------------------------------------

Here's an interview with Crack (without Beth). There are some interesting tidbits, including confirmation that the vast majority of Trip-Hop sucks, and that it's not a label they ever applied to themselves. "The Bristol Sound" is just some buzzword bullshit that bands tried to copy, only to disappear shortly thereafter.

Why did now feel the right time for Portishead to tour again? As well as these shows, you have some festival dates coming up over the summer.

Adrian: We want to do a new record and for the last record we only did six months touring. Not enough really. People were popping their heads up everywhere saying how great it was, which was brilliant, so not enough people saw that show. I also think it’s good because it gets us all together again.

Geoff: We just want to go out and enjoy it again. The last tour we did for Third was good, but it was a bit short. It was like, ‘oh, is that it?’ I also think the relationship between radio and records have pushed touring a different way now. I think releasing a record and playing a gig are equally as important. So we need to do gigs because we don’t get a lot of radio support as various powers don’t deem us to be as important.
So in terms of Portishead’s direction, do you feel like you are building back up to creating new music again, like you’re building momentum as a band?

Adrian: I think that’s exactly what it is. After we’ve finished touring, I think we’ll be doing Portishead again. So what we are doing right now is trying to wrap up all the different side projects we’ve got going on. I’ve been looking at lots of old Portishead videos and remembering what I did before.

Geoff: The idea is we finish in November, go away for Christmas and then come back and start writing. At the moment I haven’t got anything in me that wants to bust out. I think I understand where the music needs to go, but I’m not ready to start it, and now we have the tour.
So was the fact these bands disappeared a vindication for the quality of your music – that despite a 10-year gap, you continued to remain relevant?

Adrian: Well, we didn’t listen to trip-hop to make it, we listened to hip- hop and dance music and dub and whatever else our influences were at that time. So that originality hopefully shone through.
As a front women of a successful band, I can’t think of another woman, other than Karin from The Knife perhaps, who is such an enigma to people as Beth. She doesn’t do interviews and keeps herself entirely away the limelight.

Adrian: You can get to know Beth through her music. It’s not a deliberate marketing move to have Beth who doesn’t speak – she’s just not comfortable talking in interviews, but she is comfortable talking. I couldn’t tell you why. Just generally she’s uncomfortable in that situation. When she was doing her solo album with Rustin Man, I produced a couple of tracks and played a little bit on it on, but it wasn’t my project. Then when we were on tour, she asked me to so some radio interview for her - it barely had anything to do with me!

Geoff: She basically is a very, very interesting person that I’ve been lucky enough to work with throughout all these years. She is incredibly truthful and she has an amazing existence of not being caught up in any bullshit. I totally admire the way she lives. She is incredibly passionate about human beings, yet at the same time doesn’t stand for any crap. I think sometimes I’ve said things that have misrepresented her or the writer has misrepresented what I’ve said about her. I totally respect her and always want to continue working with her. And Adrian for that matter.

For some reason I never shared the videos and pics I took from the show. I only have a few of them anyway since I didn't want to be looking at a phone the whole time.

I have to say, this concert was one of the most memorable experiences ever. The cell phone recordings aren't going to do it justice, obviously, but the sound quality was the best I had heard in any live show. The attention to detail the band paid was unbelievable.

2011-10-05_22-04-56_472.jpg

The final song of the night (We Carry On); Beth was smiling all over at the end. Couldn't believe it.

The full recording of The Rip, which is one of my favorites.

I also have very small bits of Roads and Glory Box in the gallery, as well as some other pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom