• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sword and Shield releasing November 15th

Mista

Banned
D8TO32ZU0AAe0uC

Was just announced on the Pokemon Direct. Global Release and they have also announced the Double Pack

D8TO5rVU8AILGzU

Pokemon Sword and Shield takes place in the Galar Region, which appears to be based on the United Kingdom. Players choose between starters Grookey, Sobble, and Scorbunny at the start of the game before venturing throughout the Galar Region to various gyms, which take the form of giant stadiums, and ultimately challenging the Pokemon League. Pokemon Sword and Shield look to be much more classic in style, not following the structural changes of Pokemon Sun and Moon or gameplay changes in the Let’s Go! games. That being said, the games have new features like Dynamax and giant Wild Areas to explore.

Here's a look at Dynamax in the game

Last edited:

Tangerine

The wild areas, free camera movement and roaming pokemon sold the game to me. Hopefully I can learn to love the kaiju pokemon.

I would preorder on Amazon but I heard they charge you right away now...

I'm not a fan of the box art :(

The wild areas, free camera movement and roaming pokemon sold the game to me. Hopefully I can learn to love the kaiju pokemon.

I would preorder on Amazon but I heard they charge you right away now...

I'm not a fan of the box art :(

Amazon doesn’t charge until time to ship

DonF

I like the way the game looks, its like ni no kuni. I wasn't expecting much from gamefreak. I don't like the godzilla gimmick though.

The last mainline pokemon game I played was silver, so I kinda miss the franchise.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I actually hate no detest the way this game looks. Extremely dated. I've given Atelier games shit for looking like Ps3 games but they aren't the multi billion dollar company or a c team. Hell the newest one looks infinitely better than this new Pokemon game. Games can look decent on the Switch, just look at Xenoblades 2. I'm not even a graphics whore but what the shit son? This is a AAA game on the year 2019 couldn't even bother with the water lol. Pokemon Eevee might actually look better. Also Pokemon's don't carry weapons outside orphan chan. That shit the wolf is carrying is a tumor. Let that sink in.

Last edited by a moderator:

NandN

Neo Member
Watching the direct again I'm so excited for the new Pokemon games. I'm surprised that there's no discussion here about them. #teamsword

Last edited:

DaMonth

Neo Member
I actually hate no detest the way this game looks. Extremely dated. I've given Atelier games shit for looking like Ps3 games but they aren't the multi billion dollar company or a c team. Hell the newest one looks infinitely better than this new Pokemon game. Games can look decent on the Switch, just look at Xenoblades 2. I'm not even a graphics whore but what the shit son? This is a AAA game on the year 2019 couldn't even bother with the water lol. Pokemon Eevee might actually look better. Also Pokemon's don't carry weapons outside orphan chan. That shit the wolf is carrying is a tumor. Let that sink in.

Kadabra, Alakazam, Farfetch'd, Hypno, Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott, Timburr, Gurdurr, Conkeldurr, Braixen, Delphox, Passimian, Grookey.

Something about the artstyle looks like a lazy BotW asset reuse. The Pokemon and character aesthetics clash awful with it.

I really need to play Sun or Moon. The last Pokemon I played was White, and that kind of broke me on it. Sun and Moon are at least supposed to be different.

Saber

Gold Member
Something about the artstyle looks like a lazy BotW asset reuse. The Pokemon and character aesthetics clash awful with it.

I really need to play Sun or Moon. The last Pokemon I played was White, and that kind of broke me on it. Sun and Moon are at least supposed to be different.

You're wasting your time playing pokemon Sun and Moon. The game failed to be anything but different, its boring and handholding as crap. Also, the amount of pokemons there is really shallow. You would be better playing another pokemon game or wait those new ones launch and see if they're fine.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Kadabra, Alakazam, Farfetch'd, Hypno, Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott, Timburr, Gurdurr, Conkeldurr, Braixen, Delphox, Passimian, Grookey.
Kadrabra's isn't weapon
Or Hypno's
I forgot about the tumblr pokemon and the furry thing though
That is being mean to BotW. At least they tried.

Fake

It's down to personal opinion at the end of the day,you do not like it which is fair enough,I personally like the look of it.
And that's ok. Pokemon fanbase never being so exigent. They need a minimum effort to please them.

Saber

Gold Member
Yeah, the box art is a really offender. Aside from the typical Legendary mon, theres nothing else that can catch your attention. Visually the game is not a big deal as well, as it seems like a HD version of Sun and Moon(or what they wanted to do with Sun Moon, but coulnd't because of 3DS limitations).

But I do give them the credit for doing a bigger explorable world and roaming pokemon at least. Nothing something new in terms of game(ever heard of DQ?), but it feels like a big step foward for Pokemon.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Most of what’s wrong with the game’s look is down to poor AA. Pokémon Let’s Go has much nicer image quality. I suppose the reason for that difference is Sword/Shield’s more open-world, free-roaming-camera approach.

Probably worth the trade-off and most of the target audience will never know better.

Fake

If you play Dragon Quest XI and see how amazing monsters could be using Unreal Engine. The engine is there for anyone to use. Gamefreak prefer this portable engine with so much limitations. The lack of ambition from Gamefreak is keep the series in that way.

Mozza

If you play Dragon Quest XI and see how amazing monsters could be using Unreal Engine. The engine is there for anyone to use. Gamefreak prefer this portable engine with so much limitations. The lack of ambition from Gamefreak is keep the series in that way.

It's strange you should use Dragon Quest XI as an example,this game has quite a cartoon look and feel to it's visuals too,as I think using ultra realistic visuals would ruin these types pf games.

Kadrabra's isn't weapon
Or Hypno's
I forgot about the tumblr pokemon and the furry thing though

That is being mean to BotW. At least they tried.

I just meant I see textures and even objects that look like they came from BotW (the grass in particular). When there were not Pokemon or characters on the screen some of it looks like hilly areas and fields in BotW. Maybe it is just the artsyle idk.

Last edited:

Fake

It's strange you should use Dragon Quest XI as an example,this game has quite a cartoon look and feel to it's visuals too,as I think using ultra realistic visuals would ruin these types pf games.
Is the best monster design I ever see if you don't count 'realistic' monster games like Witcher 3, Monster Hunter, etc... Its the kind of detail pkmn need. Just give a try and see for yourself.

Mozza

Is the best monster design I ever see if you don't count 'realistic' monster games like Witcher 3, Monster Hunter, etc... Its the kind of detail pkmn need. Just give a try and see for yourself.

I can't wait for the Switch version to be released,and I was not questioning your view,I just like the Pokemon designs to retain their clean look,and obviously have a much better look than their handheld counterparts.

Saber

Gold Member
Do you guys usually talk about meta and possible balance changes?

Balancing the game is what I hope the most for the game right now.

Codes 208

Do you guys usually talk about meta and possible balance changes?

Balancing the game is what I hope the most for the game right now.
Generally im more mindful of “will this one have more or less hand-holding than the last game?” As compared to IV and EV training

Saber

Gold Member
Generally im more mindful of “will this one have more or less hand-holding than the last game?” As compared to IV and EV training

EV and IV are generally more well know among hardcore fans. They did try improving this in order to get casuals into playing, but they messed up real bad.

Getting IVs with the help of Bottle caps its a nice incentive, but reaching level 100 of pokemons there is a terrible and tedious task. Battle Tree is more annoying and forced than ever with CPUs predicting every pokemon of yours, so casuals pretty much gonna avoid this. Also, EV boosts means nothing if they keep those terrible SOS mechanics. Its more random factors than ever.

I think if anything, I would be glad if they came back with hordes. They're relative easy to call, just use sweet scent.

Codes 208

EV and IV are generally more well know among hardcore fans. They did try improving this in order to get casuals into playing, but they messed up real bad.

Getting IVs with the help of Bottle caps its a nice incentive, but reaching level 100 of pokemons there is a terrible and tedious task. Battle Tree is more annoying and forced than ever with CPUs predicting every pokemon of yours, so casuals pretty much gonna avoid this. Also, EV boosts means nothing if they keep those terrible SOS mechanics. Its more random factors than ever.

I think if anything, I would be glad if they came back with hordes. They're relative easy to call, just use sweet scent.
They could bring hordes back, ever since it was introduced it hasnt been taken out yet (minus lets go but being a remake with a different catching gimmick makes that a no-brainer)

But that may also be what the point of raid battles too now i guess

Top Bottom