• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocky & Rocky spiritual successor Heavenly Guardian to release on PS4 on April 4

Shin

Banned
sayuki_thumb.png

Heavenly Guardian (also known as Legend of Sayuki in Europe, and Yukinko Daisenpuuin Japan) is set to release on PlayStation 4 on April 4, 2019, Joyful Star announced.
This makes it the fourth platform to receive the title, after the original PS2 release, and ports to the Nintendo Switch and most recently, PC via Steam. [Thanks, Gematsu!]

The game was originally developed as a sequel to the Pocky & Rocky series, but spun off into its own game after licensing issues with the IP. As such, the game also is a scrolling shooter where players control characters freely around the map.
Main character Sayuki is able to fire different types of shots, as well as freely command icy winds to freeze enemies if she has the power charged up for it.

Credit: Siliconera

Extra: Original Pocky & Rocky by Natsume // https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WuOClruvLE
Used to love this game, probably still do because it's fun and has catchy music, but by today's standards it's mobile class-tier I guess.

Last edited:

Ban Puncher

It's also coming to the Switch this week and if you buy it before the 27th of March in the US or the 28th in PAL territories, you get the game for 50% off the normal asking price

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I still have my old PS2 copy. It's fun! Kind of shocking to see such a niche game get brought back, but I won't complain. The Wii version lets you point with the Wiimote which was pretty cool for a game like this.

Hudo

Pocky & Rocky was the shit. Really a hidden gem, IMHO. I'm down for a Pocky & Rocky-like!

Shin

Banned
I still have my old PS2 copy. It's fun! Kind of shocking to see such a niche game get brought back, but I won't complain.
I'm actually more surprised that Natsume managed themselves well enough to keep going still when so many companies from that period are now defunct.
Though I must say that we have like 2 to 3 names for this game which isn't going to do it any favors, quite weird that it has a different name in the US and EU.

Top Bottom