• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

: please do not throw coins into plane engine before take off for good luck

massoluk

Banned
http://www.newsweek.com/woman-throws-coins-plane-engine-good-luck-delaying-flight-five-hours-629509

An elderly woman delayed a flight in China for more than four hours Tuesday after throwing coins into the plane’s jet engine “for good luck.”

The 80-year-old threw nine coins into the engine’s turbine and performed a blessing as she was boarding the China Southern Airlines flight at Pudong Airport, prompting passengers to alert airline staff.

Like holy shit, imagine if no one noticed or alerted the staff

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm very confused about just how resilient these engines are. On one hand I've seen the GE testvideos where they throw whole deer carcuses into the engine to test its ability to survive a major impact and still operate (which it did just fine at). Yet then we see flocks of birds destroying engines and now the thought that small coins could too.

I'm very confused about just how resilient these engines are. On one hand I've seen the GE testvideos where they throw whole deer carcuses into the engine to test its ability to survive a major impact and still operate (which it did just fine at). Yet then we see flocks of birds destroying engines and now the thought that small coins could too.

Never use the backup as the primary.

In other words, just because you assume the redundancies or safety features will save you doesn't mean you knowingly risk lives to test your theory.

Now, imagine if the plane had taken off with the airline knowing full well there was metal shrapnel in the engine and it blew mid-flight...

KarmaCow

There's a weird level of understanding that the engines are crucial to the plane but not enough to realise maybe chucking loose change into it isn't a good idea.

KHarvey16

Engines can't ingest objects at all really and "survive." They're required to not break apart and damage the aircraft but even small rocks, birds or other debris can render an engine useless. Or at least damage it to the point it cannot be used again safely without an overhaul.

It sounds like the coin here didn't make it all the way in.

Irnbru

It's totally different at flight speed, think of the speed of the plane plus the mass of any object against that plane. It can fuck shit up. The small coins are more of a fod issue.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah throwing coins in the engine will make it work better! Boeing hadn't figured that out.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
And not just China, German and Polish airports too often just take you to the plane via bus from the terminal.
Or just anywhere in the world when there's gate congestion at the airport.

Orbis

In China they still load on the tarmac from time to time. Especially small airports and planes.
Basically every airport I've been to in the UK and Europe you may find yourself walking on the tarmac around the plane. But yeah there's nothing stopping you walking up to the engine, usually just a rope fence or similar.

She must have saw the knockoff film Coin Air

nicolas-cage-fells-good-con-air-head-space-1409843288n.gif

Top Bottom