• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 3: Getting The Knack Of These Games

Ted

CounterSpy is awesome. The game just needs more content and more random elements in the levels. I hope they'll fix that in a sequel. If they do I'll buy it without waiting on a PS+ appearance. :)

Yeah, I said something very similar when I played it:

Thanks for these impressions folks. I'll see how I get on. :)

When you say unfair mclem, do you have any examples? I don't mind a little difficulty but frustration is something I try to avoid in my off time.

mclem

Thanks for these impressions folks. I'll see how I get on. :)

When you say unfair mclem, do you have any examples? I don't mind a little difficulty but frustration is something I try to avoid in my off time.

I have to admit, I can't quite remember; it was a while ago! I *think* it was probably 'situations where I thought it wasn't realistic to avoid being spotted', but I'm not certain.

NHale

Loving Invisible Inc.

I was interested in the game but never bought it before because of the backlog, but I love the "Transistor" visuals (very very similar) with XCom mechanics but more stealth. Game is very difficult though.

Azkend 2 isn't terrible as a "match 5" type of game. Better on the Vita than on PS4, but I still think Treasures of Montezuma is better if you exclude the F2P "energy" systems.

I can see how people like The Swindle but I'm not feeling it as a rogue like type of game because the controls don't feel that responsive and also some of the levels put you in an almost losing position because you don't have upgrades to proceed.

Ted

I have to admit, I can't quite remember; it was a while ago! I *think* it was probably 'situations where I thought it wasn't realistic to avoid being spotted', but I'm not certain.

Haha, no problem mate, I know the feeling!

I'm pretty sure you're right though as when I played a few more levels last night I had at least one situation where I opened a door into a new room and as the enemies with a line of sight to me were not on the same 2d plane no icon appeared on screen to indicate them but they could spot me immediately.

I am having to relinquish my "levels in stealth games MUST be completed with absolutely no one seeing my character" mind set. And that's harder than it really should be, I have restarted levels a few times before catching myself!

Loving Invisible Inc.

I was interested in the game but never bought it before because of the backlog, but I love the "Transistor" visuals (very very similar) with XCom mechanics but more stealth. Game is very difficult though.

Azkend 2 isn't terrible as a "match 5" type of game. Better on the Vita than on PS4, but I still think Treasures of Montezuma is better if you exclude the F2P "energy" systems.

I can see how people like The Swindle but I'm not feeling it as a rogue like type of game because the controls don't feel that responsive and also some of the levels put you in an almost losing position because you don't have upgrades to proceed.

Nice one NHale, it's always great to see people posting their experiences with the games as I find this super useful for filtering through the many games I have received over my time subscribed.

Invisible Inc. and Transistor are on my "to play" list so particularly good to see feedback on these.

Celegus

Nice one NHale, it's always great to see people posting their experiences with the games as I find this super useful for filtering through the many games I have received over my time subscribed.

Invisible Inc. and Transistor are on my "to play" list so particularly good to see feedback on these.

Transistor one of my absolute favorites from PS+, incredible game!

xrnzaaas

I finished Transistor once and had enough (the game encourages you to try NG+). Too complex battle system for me to be really good at it.

Today should be the reveal day for the February line-up, right?

It's usually the final wednesday of the month, but since PS+ updates come out on the first tuesday of the month and next tuesday is still in January, we might not get news on the lineup before next week, with the games to follow on January 7th. I hope i'm wrong.

Ludens

Banned
It's usually the final wednesday of the month, but since PS+ updates come out on the first tuesday of the month and next tuesday is still in January, we might not get news on the lineup before next week, with the games to follow on January 7th. I hope i'm wrong.

Do you mean February, right? Anyway yeah, just checked the calendar and probably we'll get new on 1st February.

illusionary

It'll be either next Tuesday or Wednesday, going on past history. I think that's it's probably more accurate to say that the announcement is the Wednesday before the games become available, but that of course usually ends up being the same thing. The last times that we had the 7th falling on a Tuesday, we had the announcement on Tuesday 31 May 2016, Wednesday 1 July 2015 and Tuesday 31 March 2015.

xrnzaaas

I've started working on my PS+ backlog with Broken Age. Good storyline so far (I've finished Act 1), but some puzzles are pretty hard to guess (like
torturing the tree with the stool
) or they're annoying because they require good reflexes (I gave up on rescuing all the animals and getting a trophy for that).

Also it seems that the game is having issues with cross-save. I have a shitty upload and it's taking forever to upload savegames to the cloud. It's so problematic that sometimes I have to wait before I'm allowed to create a new manual save. Sadly there's no option to turn off cross-save feature like in other crossbuy titles (I'm pretty sure Rogue Legacy had that option).

Ted

Transistor one of my absolute favorites from PS+, incredible game!

I finished Transistor once and had enough (the game encourages you to try NG+). Too complex battle system for me to be really good at it.

These posts move it up and then straight back down my to play list! I like incredible games but I'm mostly playing these as sides to other games so I'm not looking for anything to difficult or complex.

On a different note, I finished up DotT and am going to play through again to listen to the dev commentary and get the few remaining trophies (and to play through Maniac Mansion a few times with my favourites kids). It's still a fun game with silly humour and puzzles that though not always immediately logical make a certain degree of sense after the fact and in the context of the mad world of the Edison's and the revamp just makes it better. The art and sounds have been updated perfectly in keeping and you can feel the love that went into redrawing and remastering everything so perfectly. Great job Double Fine.

I'm also close to the end of my first run through of CounterSpy and am just playing a few more missions to unlock some guns and formulae before taking on the final mission.

It's a game that is annoying me a lot but not necessarily for what it is but for what it could be. In and of itself it's not a bad game, it's actually a very agreeable one but it NOT a stealth game and procedural generation is a crappy way to make a stealth game however you dress it up.

A stealth game should always allow you to progress without being detected (and ideally without even laying a hand on an enemy) if you are skillful and aware enough but it's not worth trying that in CounterSpy! You may get to the very last screen entirely unspotted, be feeling great and then walk through a door and be presented with x number of enemies staring straight at you rendering all your previous success null and void.

Played as an action game with a sprinkling of stealth mechanics it is a much more fun experience.

Worth noting though that anyone who plays inverted (Y) will have to make comprises playing this as you cannot invert the controls differently dependent on whether you are playing a 2d element or a 3d element. I've ended up leaving it uninverted as I spend more time (broadly speaking) in 2d and then imagine the 3d sections as controlling a pseudo mouse pointer rather than cross hairs.

It's a shame that I have these couple of issues with it as there is a lot to love about this game.

Last but not least I dipped into Transformer Devastation with some friends and we were disappointed not to find any local co-op or versus options. Not sure the single player will have enough in it to keep me interested but I'll give it a go (as a group we just ended up playing KI2 classic which was free with GWG in January instead!).

Hope you are all having good weeks PS+ games playing folks. Have a good weekend y'all.

I've started working on my PS+ backlog with Broken Age. Good storyline so far (I've finished Act 1), but some puzzles are pretty hard to guess (like
torturing the tree with the stool
) or they're annoying because they require good reflexes (I gave up on rescuing all the animals and getting a trophy for that).

Also it seems that the game is having issues with cross-save. I have a shitty upload and it's taking forever to upload savegames to the cloud. It's so problematic that sometimes I have to wait before I'm allowed to create a new manual save. Sadly there's no option to turn off cross-save feature like in other crossbuy titles (I'm pretty sure Rogue Legacy had that option).

Broken Age was such an amazing game. I really loved it. Gets even better later into the game.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I got notice that my PS+ would try to auto-renew soon. What's the best legitimate deal on PS+ subs? I've kept credit card information out of PSN since their huge problems back in the day.

xrnzaaas

Broken Age was such an amazing game. I really loved it. Gets even better later into the game.

OMG the hexipal puzzle. I always disliked "bigger" puzzles in Tim Schafer's games, but this one takes the crown away from Grim Fandango's puzzles. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate games with harder puzzles in general, but this feels like a (borderline unfair) boss battle in the point&click adventure games world. Especially since the game gives you only some vague hints on where to look for an item helpful in solving it (and only then you can try to figure out its rules). The game really needed more consistency imo. This puzzle and the knot one feel like they've been taken from a different game or put there just to test if you're worthy to see the ending of the game (the wiring puzzle is random so you HAVE TO understand it to proceed and can't rely on a guide if you want to enjoy the story).

NHale

I hope for Gravity Rush Remastered.

That should have been before they release the sequel not after.

Killzone: Shadowfall surely needs a lot of extra people playing the multiplayer and I seriously doubt people still buy the game nowadays.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Amazon has leaked LBP3 and Not a Hero and the PS4 games for Feb.

Do you have a link?

Edit: I've found it now. Thought you meant that LBP3 and Not A Hero were PS3 games and there were still PS4 games to be announced. Looks like I can go without starting my PS Plus membership for another month unless the rest of the games impress!

Donos

Not A Hero is fun (i'm lvl 5), reminds me a bit of OlliOlli from how you tackle levels and restart pretty often.

Kind of a sidescrolling Hotline Miami.

Not A Hero is fun (i'm lvl 5), reminds me a bit of OlliOlli from how you tackle levels and restart pretty often.

I'm enjoying this too, but boy oh boy did I start skipping cut-scenes really bloody quickly.

Who thought it was a good idea to display one. word. every. five. seconds. in. gigantic. speeches. that. go. on. forever.

Donos

I'm enjoying this too, but boy oh boy did I start skipping cut-scenes really bloody quickly.

Who thought it was a good idea to display one. word. every. five. seconds. in. gigantic. speeches. that. go. on. forever.

Yes, and some of it is even fun but not one long after a mission and then the next one before the next mission... *i'mtoooldforthisshit*

Ted

Finished up Tiny Troopers: Joint Ops last night. It's pretty simple but fairly fun. I kind of wish it had local co-op though.

It's pretty easy to blast through and does get a little repetitive towards the end. They try to mix it up a little with some vehicle use in the second Spec-Ops campaign but as these levels are presented as on rails it doesn't add quite as much as perhaps it should.

The story is basic at best and you can tell the voice work was done on a pretty slim budget but I like the comic book style of the story presentation and the drawing is quite nice.

All in all, not a bad way to waste a couple of hours.

I'm not quite sure where to go next with my PS+ back log as I'm still working through Watch_Dogs 2, have just started going through all the Driveclub season pass content (so many tours!!) and still can't stop playing Planetside 2 but I think I'm going to give TorqueL a chance from this month as it looks pretty interesting conceptually.

Hope you are all having a good week!

LakeEarth

When you reload, you can "hide" in the shadows. Can you do that without needing to reload? I feel like I'm not getting something, a lot of times I feel like I can't avoid getting hit at all.

I can't get a hang of Starwhal's controls at all. I thought I'd have more fun with it, but the controls are just a big ball of frustration.

Donos

? They show you in the first level how you can stay in cover. Long x press lets you slide. Short tap of x lets you get behind cover. There they can't hit you with bullets and you can reload/shrow grenades/shoot out of cover.

Look at 0:45 onwards.

Ted

So it turns out I don't like TorqueL. I don't think it's necessarily bad per sé but I can't get on with it. Conceptually I like the idea but for me I can't get over "rolling" a square. The game requires the physics to be convincing and entertaining but as they have to start with this "rolling" a square compromise it never quite delivers. I've only tried the first few levels but the simplistic nature of the levels doesn't justify the effort required to navigate them. I think I can get it but I don't really want it enough.

If that makes any sense!!

I started Lords of the Fallen instead and am quite enjoying it so far (only defeated the first two bosses) but man oh man it's pretty unstable. I had it freeze three times in only a couple of hours play. So far it's only been at points where little to no progress has been lost but I know it's going to do it to me after I've whittled nine tenths off a particularly difficulty bosses health bar and am feeling close to victory... and that would properly suck.

Still I'm going to persevere, for now.

Keep on keeping on PS+ folk. : )

Jawmuncher

Any idea how I can get my old DLC into LBP3? I had the tron costumes from the special edition of LBP 2 and the MGS4 DLC bought back in the day. Yet none are in my add-ons.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Any idea how I can get my old DLC into LBP3? I had the tron costumes from the special edition of LBP 2 and the MGS4 DLC bought back in the day. Yet none are in my add-ons.

As I recall, you have to re-buy them, but they should be listed as free or something. Try the PS Store or the in-game store.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So am I right in thinking that the next month's games will be available on the 7th as that's the first Tuesday of the month? And so will be announced next week?

Where can I buy PS(+) codes to top up my UK wallet?
  • PlayStation cannot connect my US paypal account to my UK PlayStation account... -.-
  • Amazon.co.uk tells me I am not in the UK and cannot buy it.
  • Amazon.de has extortionist prices for UK cards/codes

I just want to give Sony/PlayStation my money why must they make it so difficult?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
  • PlayStation cannot connect my US paypal account to my UK PlayStation account... -.-

I just want to give Sony/PlayStation my money why must they make it so difficult?

What's a better deal in the UK than the US that you're after?

Joni

Can't you lie about your address on Amazon UK? It is how I buy PSN credit on Amazon US.

Ludens

Banned
Started LBP3 but man at those loading screens. The game is literally filled with them, there's one popping everytime a cutscene happens.

Top Bottom