• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Game Streaming vs Xbox xCloud: Image Quality/Lag Face-Off

MarkMe2525

Unfortunately, this is so true.

Despite their unfathomable wealth, Microsoft has never made a product that I liked. There was/is ALWAYS a better alternative on the market.
  • Windows phones? Android.
  • Xbox? PlayStation.
  • Windows? OSX.
  • Surface? Macbooks.
  • Teams? Zoom.
  • Office? Google Suite (though Excel is more powerful)
  • One Drive? Google Drive
  • xCloud? PS Plus Streaming
  • Mixer? Twitch.
We can go on and on.
Zune was the superior music player

Has PS Plus added the ability to use it outside of a PlayStation console? Can I use PS Plus on my laptop or phone?

Last edited:

Aces High

PS5 has 88ms lag at 60fps in Cyberpunk? I LoLed.
Yeah, the baseline lag for PS5 games is way too high.

Adding streaming lag on top that is insane.

Streaming only makes sense if you use high-end PC hardware as baseline.

In GeForce you get guaranteed RTX 4080 performance with all AI features. That card alone costs almost 3x as much as a PS5.

Mahavastu

Despite their unfathomable wealth, Microsoft has never made a product that I liked. There was/is ALWAYS a better alternative on the market.
  • Xbox? PlayStation.
  • Windows? OSX.
  • Surface? Macbooks.
  • Teams? Zoom.
  • Mixer? Twitch.
We can go on and on.
Reminds me about myself a few years ago when I still was a "never microsoft" kind of guy, and then Microsoft started to buy every company which products I used.
The bought Xamarin, they bought Nokia, they bought hockeyapp, they bought....

So after a while I still used the same Software, but went from a "never Microsoft" to "nearly full time Microsoft" guy :pie_eyeroll:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This means nothing to me. I hope game streaming never takes off. If it does, then I will quit gaming.

Thankfully I don't believe it will ever be the take off as the main way to play, let alone be the dominant.

There is no person who can convince me that we will ever be able to build datacenters with the processing power to run 100s of games at once for millions of users. Good luck trying to release the next Grand Theft Auto 7 as a cloud only option.

Cloud gaming should be an "in a pinch" gaming option.

zeroluck

Yeah, the baseline lag for PS5 games is way too high.

Adding streaming lag on top that is insane.

Streaming only makes sense if you use high-end PC hardware as baseline.

In GeForce you get guaranteed RTX 4080 performance with all AI features. That card alone costs almost 3x as much as a PS5.
Cloud streaming makes sense when you can get access to way more powerful hardware than what you can buy for cheap, once they rolled out GSync VRR update and upgrade their server to 5080 next year I can imagine playing most of my games on it, especially during the summer.

Three

I know that, but it is the same SOC so the CPU limitations remain.
It's not the same SoC as a Series X either but I was referring to your comment about memory. There hasn't even been any confirmation that it virtualizes multiple Xbox Series S consoles on 1 SoC.

Last edited:

onQ123

A single SX can virtualize 4 SS instances? impressive in itself but not good for comparisons like this, I suppose.
Yes & I'm not sure why they haven't done this locally letting people stream to 4 devices that's a good selling point of the kids can stream to different devices at the same time.

Sethbacca

I don't see the latency ever getting to a point where I'll care to play like this. I'm sure the image quality will get there eventually but unless the latency issue ever gets solved it's a non starter for anything that requires twitch gameplay. Totally useable for like RPGs and stuff like that though.

Aces High

This means nothing to me. I hope game streaming never takes off. If it does, then I will quit gaming.

Thankfully I don't believe it will ever be the take off as the main way to play, let alone be the dominant.

There is no person who can convince me that we will ever be able to build datacenters with the processing power to run 100s of games at once for millions of users. Good luck trying to release the next Grand Theft Auto 7 as a cloud only option.

Cloud gaming should be an "in a pinch" gaming option.
Artificial Intelligence will have dramatic impact on network technology.

AI will optimize networks dynamically, it will apply generative error correction in case of packet loss, and it will optimize resource allocation in datacenters. With AI, one-digit pings will become standard for most users.

On top of that, we will see AI-powered video compression that allows for much higher image quality with much lower bandwidth requirements.

Game streaming is also very cost-effective. And it gets rid of hackers.

Expect the transition phase to begin in 5 years. In 10 years, game streaming will be the dominant form of gaming.

yurinka

PS5 cloud gaming runs PS5 versions of games while Xbox cloud gaming uses virtualized Series S hardware.

PS5 cloud input lag difference:

nEtMvMY.jpg

Xbox has lower input lag:

LAOl1Yk.jpg

But way worse image quality

cJKseUb.jpg
6hvv9dE.jpg

Interesting. Regarding the input lag, it would be nice to test it from different locations using the same console and internet connection. Because part of it comes from the distance between the player and the server.

On top of that, we will see AI-powered video compression that allows for much higher image quality with much lower bandwidth requirements.
SIE bought recently a company that already achieves this. Reconstructs streamed videos via deep learning (similar to DLSS but in any hardware) in real time achieving better quality than the original, allowing do meaningfully decrease the bitrate but still getting quality

Last edited:

Beechos

Laughing at people that doesn't see anything bad quality wise with xcloud, shit is all over the screen. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

How people can play videogames like this is seriously mindblogging for me, like offensive towards the medium.
Depends on the game if you stream like indie/360 era and below it's looks native. Current gen stuff looks like shit though.

Beechos

The worst thing about xcloud is waiting in a queue to play and the wait can be a while too. Its easily the worst cloud service from all the big ones.
Yeah that's the biggest turn off for me right now for xcloud the queues. I usually play bc/indies and stuff that doesn't need low latency and it works and looks very well. Modern current gen stuff is a whole diff matter.

Shakka43

I tried Xcloud for the first time(Android) a couple of months ago and it is definitely not a way in which I want to play my games. PS+ is alright at best, the only cloud server that has really impressed me is GeForce Now, it feels way ahead of the competition.

Yoboman

Doesn't really matter much as tech needs to improve a lot on all fronts for it to be viable

I do find it interesting that Sony is so far ahead right now when the common sentiment seemed to be that Xbox is ahead on streaming tech. Sony has been quietly working away since day one of this tech and are as well placed as anyone if streaming does take over

I feel like I'm living in opposite world compared to this forum, I'm always amazed how lag free xcloud is and the image quality looks pretty good. I finished Quake completely via streaming :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Edit: In Australia I weirdly found the performance/image quality better than the UK where I live now, so wonder if it's region thing as well.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
PS5 has 88ms lag at 60fps in Cyberpunk? I LoLed.
Did anyone ever bring this up? I remember when Nvidia were trumpeting their streaming by showing how it could beat local installs and it had God of War with some crazy high latency and I was wondering how no-one ever mentioned it.

zeroluck

Did anyone ever bring this up? I remember when Nvidia were trumpeting their streaming by showing how it could beat local installs and it had God of War with some crazy high latency and I was wondering how no-one ever mentioned it.
It is known for a while now that most console games has really shit latency, just nobody seems to care until cloud gaming came along and they need to talk shit about it not being viable because high latency.

intbal

Yes & I'm not sure why they haven't done this locally letting people stream to 4 devices that's a good selling point of the kids can stream to different devices at the same time.
I believe those Series X boards for xcloud have 40GB of RAM per board.
That matches up with 4 Series S machines.

Last edited:

TBiddy

• Xbox? PlayStation.
  • Windows? OSX.
  • Surface? Macbooks.
  • Teams? Zoom.
  • Mixer? Twitch.
We can go on and on.
Who the fuck prefers Google Suite and Google Drive over Office 365 and OneDrive? The products aren't even remotely comparable.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Both play perfectly on my phone.
I never said they didn't, and you missed my point. For a service meant to be played on a TV, you want better image quality. You can sacrifice that for a mobile service, especially one where you may have to use cell service instead of wifi. So it comes down to the choices that these companies make.

SKYF@ll

GhostWire Tokyo screenshot (PS+ cloud streaming)
There is more input lag than local, but this game is not unplayable.
The image quality is excellent, so it's perfect for trying out the game without installing it.
Rlxcczq.jpg
DsFJn5Z.jpg

tmlDan

Artificial Intelligence will have dramatic impact on network technology.

AI will optimize networks dynamically, it will apply generative error correction in case of packet loss, and it will optimize resource allocation in datacenters. With AI, one-digit pings will become standard for most users.

Game streaming is also very cost-effective. And it gets rid of hackers.

Expect the transition phase to begin in 5 years. In 10 years, game streaming will be the dominant form of gaming.
Honestly, why do you use AI like some sort of fix-all solution.

Everything you just outlined is already being done by most companies, its not AI. They call it "machine learning" platforms that optimize towards best performing scenarios.

"Machine Learning" is such an annoying buzzword that turned into "AI". As we see with Googles massive fuck ups, its all humans, the "AI" is not doing shit. It's just a program utilizing large data sets.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Interesting that they've switched to using the XSS profile for Xcloud. That would seem to indicate they've moved away from using the XSX blades as there wouldn't be much advantage to have those run in XSS mode (the CPUs are too similar to get multiple instances running on the same machine). Perhaps they've switched to CPUs/systems strong enough to run 2 or 4 XSS instances at the same time or they have some way of accessing additional cpu resources if needed. I know FH5 used to run in XSX mode on streaming.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I use the Xcloud from time to time, it looks okish on the tablet. I wouldn't want to use it anywhere else. The thing has been in beta forever and not much have improved.

TheHTIC

Neo Member
I haven't used xcloud in a while but it worked fine to me. I tried playing Batman Arkham Origins on ps+ but once but it was unplayable because of how choppy and laggy it was and haven't tried it again since. This was maybe 6 months ago, is it better now?

recursive

It makes sense the PS version is better as I guess each instance is an actual PS5 streaming the game. The xbox version is running 3 instances of the series s version on each peice if hardware. It's what the series x is 12 tf and the series s is 4 tf so they can run 3 instances of the xcloud on each server. Quite clever thinking on its own but it's not going to hold up in comparisons like these when running visually demanding games
How do you explain the CPU usage? MS isn't telling us something.

yamaci17

The funny part is that GeForce Now streaming already feels much more responsive than local console games on my PS5.

I get 12 ms ping from GeForce Now with wifi.
I think geforce now even will bring full vrr support

consoles support vrr but dont even cap framerate below the refresh rate to reduce the input lag... they just run the game at maximum refresh rate. i have no idea how it has been 4 years and this is still not a thing. they don't even properly utilize a techonology that can immensely reduce latency..

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The image quality and the latency are horrendous.
Streaming is just a terrible idea.

Running on console hardware is never going to be that great of an experience if you are at 30 or 60 fps. Nvidia does a lot better on latency because they set the default settings to run the games faster where possible.

Running the game at 120 on the server, even when you are only getting a 60fps stream, helps the feel of the game a great deal.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The funny part is that GeForce Now streaming already feels much more responsive than local console games on my PS5.

I get 12 ms ping from GeForce Now with wifi.
Yeah, GeForce Now Ultimate is easily as good as a local XSX/PS5 console if you have a solid connection to a relatively close datacenter(<500mi I'd assume). I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was lower input latency via GeForce Now than even 60fps modes on consoles if you're running 120fps or 240fps with Reflex enabled. I can guarantee it has lower input latency than the 30fps modes. That's the power of a 4080 with all the Nvidia GPU and network tech behind it. At $200/year I wouldn't say it's lucrative console replacement, but if it was $100/year it would be.

Last edited:

demigod

MS's commitment to evolve and improve XCloud had a turning point in the regulatory and judicial process of the ABK acquisition.

The service has been there for 2 years without any progress and is still in BETA status. It's as if the pressure to appear minor in the eyes of the CMA and FTC and the obligation to commit to opening the ABK catalog to all cloud gaming services has made them hit the brakes and draw up a new plan.
There is the promise of bringing the entire catalog to Xcloud and also including PC versions of games, but 2 years have passed and even today it is only still promised but there is no arrival date yet.

Contrary to many here, I do believe that we are going to see important advances in cloud gaming in a few years. Anyone who has played via GForceNow knows this.

In ~10 years the problem will not be the technology (I think that in general they will all launch similar services in quality), it will be more in the attractiveness of the catalog to offer, prices and having the service available in the greatest number of possible platforms (TV, PC, mobile phones, tablets, TV services,.....)
Next thing you are going to tell us is xbox is intentionally in 3rd place to get by the CMA and FTC.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Honestly a little disappointed in SNY. They acquired Gaikai, the best in the business. I figured that they would have been better than GeForce Now.

There’s also a lot of factors, of course: your distance from a server, your upload speed, how many users on the system, etc.

Aces High

Honestly, why do you use AI like some sort of fix-all solution.

Everything you just outlined is already being done by most companies, its not AI. They call it "machine learning" platforms that optimize towards best performing scenarios.

"Machine Learning" is such an annoying buzzword that turned into "AI". As we see with Googles massive fuck ups, its all humans, the "AI" is not doing shit. It's just a program utilizing large data sets.

Yes, the terms 'AI' and 'machine learning' have been thrown around a lot lately.

Sometimes interchangeably (which is incorrect) and often overhyped.

But the integration of AI into bandwidth-intensive and latency-sensitive systems isn't just about incremental improvements.

We're talking about leveraging advanced computational models to transform how networks operate and respond to demands:

- predictive analytics for network congestion
- dynamic routing protocols
- real-time pattern analytics
- generative error correction instead of FEC
- context-aware compression
- predictive capacity and demand forecasting

The distinction between AI and what's currently labeled as 'machine learning' in many commercial applications lies in the depth of learning and adaptability.

AI's role in network technology isn't confined to automating tasks but involves creating systems that learn, adapt, and make autonomous decisions to optimize performance.

This isn't just a theoretical advancement but a practical one that directly addresses the complexities of modern network management and game streaming services.

Yes, AI has a buzzword status in many discussions.

However, distinguishing the hype from the substantial technological advancements underpinning AI reveals its potential to significantly enhance network performance, reliability, and efficiency, particularly for demanding applications like game streaming.

Another important factor is that AI will have a higher impact on game streaming than on traditional local hardware rendering.

Traditional game engines on local hardware are constrained by the physical limits of the device's processing power and storage capacity. While AI can and does enhance local game experiences through improved AI behaviors, procedural content generation, and more, the scope of impact is fundamentally different compared to what AI can do when given the resources of an entire data center.

While AI's advancements will continue to benefit all areas of gaming technology, its potential to revolutionize game streaming is particularly pronounced, addressing the unique set of challenges that come with delivering high-quality gaming experiences over the internet.

This post was written by AI.

Top Bottom