• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation has been certified as "the best-selling home video game console brand in history" by Guinness World Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

HTCWaW8.jpg

Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

Three

Who is posting 2019 images as if they're new. They probably still hold the record but come on. That tweet is so misleading.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
For sure, what I’m most curious about is if Switch is even eligible for this or not. Otherwise I guess it’s a MS/Sony exclusive award from here on out.
Sony fanboys want it to be a handheld, because they don't like that it beats the PS4 and maybe even the PS2 depending on when Nintendo releases their new console. To me it's obviously a home console and should count, but Switch Lite sales shouldn't count.

Robb

Gold Member
To me it's obviously a home console and should count, but Switch Lite sales shouldn't count.
Yeah, folks seem to have different opinions on that, but the interesting thing is what criteria Guinness is using.

If Switch is to be included it wouldn’t make sense to me to remove the Lite.

midnightAI

Sony fanboys want it to be a handheld, because they don't like that it beats the PS4 and maybe even the PS2 depending on when Nintendo releases their new console. To me it's obviously a home console and should count, but Switch Lite sales shouldn't count.
Even including the Switch Nintendo have sold less home console hardware than Sony

As of December 31st 2022:
Nintendo - 403.42 million (NES, SNES, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch)
Sony - 493.8 million (PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5)

Last edited:
I guess this is because 'PlayStation' as a brand encompasses the original console, PS2, PS4, PS4/PS4 Pro and PS5 whereas Nintendo have always used unique names for their consoles so they don't have a brand as such? Or am misunderstanding what they mean by 'brand'?

Maybe the Switch's successor though will be called the Switch 2 / Switch Pro / Switch Advanced? I really hope that Nintendo don't ignore backwards compatibility on their next console because I feel that would be a massive mistake. I think we now expect to be able to play our older games, at least the last gen ones, on our new consoles so I think ignoring the Switch's huge back catalogue for a new machine would actually hurt sales. People would be more likely to upgrade to a new machine if the older games run on it. Of course, Nintendo did make the Wii compatible with GameCube games and the Wii U compatible with Wii (and GameCube?) games but the problem with the Wii U was that it was poorly and confusingly marketed and people thought the massive controller/screen was an add-on for the Wii and not a new console. I don't think they will repeat that mistake!

Last edited:

RafterXL

Yeah, folks seem to have different opinions on that, but the interesting thing is what criteria Guinness is using.

If Switch is to be included it wouldn’t make sense to me to remove the Lite.
Guinness uses the "how much money are you paying us to make any record you want" criteria. Like, who the hell even cares about Guinness records in 2023?

Old ass tweet about a company that sells records...lol.

Pretty sure Switch is considered a console as well.
But if this is from 2019, sales for Switch were much lower.

But it wouldn't matter, because apart from the Wii and Switch, Nintendo consoles didn't sell as much as people like to think. These two which sold (or will sell) 100+M are outliers for Nintendo.

For Sony, passing the 100M mark is the norm, with PS3 being the outlier at >90M.

mrmustard

Banned
Even including the Switch Nintendo have sold less home console hardware than Sony

As of December 31st 2022:
Nintendo - 403.42 million (NES, SNES, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch)
Sony - 493.8 million (PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PS5)

Pretty sure Switch is considered a console as well.
But if this is from 2019, sales for Switch were much lower.

But it wouldn't matter, because apart from the Wii and Switch, Nintendo consoles didn't sell as much as people like to think. These two which sold (or will sell) 100+M are outliers for Nintendo.

For Sony, passing the 100M mark is the norm, with PS3 being the outlier at >90M.
I just answered his question and didn't say that Switch alone would have changed the home console charts. All Nintendo home consoles + handhelds would beat all Sony home consoles + handhelds though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom