• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation China Hero Project action RPG Dhaba: Land of Watermarks from developer Dark Star announced

CamHostage

The CHP might be legit, or at least for indies but big games that look suspiciously better than most big 3A games? Yeah nah.

I wouldn't say that Dahba looks suspiciously better than most big 3A games. It looks like a typical UE4/5 PS5-targetting Soulslike, with good production work and (so far as the tale shows) smart use of the budget by a skilled team.

(It also looks like a natural evolution after their past project, Sinner. )

All the CHP titles IMO show both the strength that got them the job and also the limited budget/manpower they're working under.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I wouldn't say that Dahba looks suspiciously better than most big 3A games. It looks like a typical UE4/5 PS5-targetting Soulslike, with good production work and (so far as the tale shows) smart use of the budget by a skilled team.

(It also looks like a natural evolution after their past project, Sinner. )

All the CHP titles IMO show both the strength that got them the job and also the limited budget/manpower they're working under.
Well See Season 6 GIF by The Office

tmlDan

Damn bro, you got me. One game. Chinese and korean vaporware is a real thing tho. Its a known fact that most game announcements are just money laundering schemes. Most have never seen the light of day. It's very common, in case you did not know this. But I forgive you.
The China Hero Project isn't that, others have posted a list of games. I see you also said big games, who are you to judge? Has Sony proven to be unreliable now?

Come again?

Last edited:

Thief1987

So what’s the deal with IP ownership with these games? Sony are publishing some of them right?
I think they are mostly doing marketing support for CHP games, maybe publishing on the west for some of them, but they aren't funding the development, so IPs should be belong to developers.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Honestly, when I read the thread title, I thought it was an attempt by the TC to be subtly racist, but...yeah, that's the actual title. Interesting name to be sure.

I think they are mostly doing marketing support for CHP games, maybe publishing on the west for some of them, but they aren't funding the development, so IPs should be belong to developers.
Interesting. I’ve just looked it up and there’s a lot more developer support from PlayStation studios in the latest rounds.

Would be great if more of these got localised. There’s a couple from the latest event that look very interesting.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If I recall correctly, development and tech support are integral parts of the China Hero Project. Marketing and publishing are other components of it.

CamHostage

Would be great if more of these got localised. There’s a couple from the latest event that look very interesting.

All seven China Hero Project games which have finished dev have been released internationally. (I assume that's part of the CHP program, to get distro, so that both the studios learn the full process as well as consumers get familiar with this territory's products. )

I don't think Sony had published any of the CHP games themselves (and some games have been released on platforms beyond PlayStation, ) but with the more recent waves, I believe Sony is putting out a few themselves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom