• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation China Hero Project action RPG Dhaba: Land of Watermarks from developer Dark Star announced

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Sony Interactive Entertainment Shanghai and SINNER: Sacrifice for Redemption developer Dark Star have announced Dhaba: Land of Watermarks (English title pending), an action RPG for PlayStation 5joining the third phase of the games incubation program PlayStation China Hero Project.

Here is a brief overview of the game:

Dhaba: Land of Watermarks is a new title from Dark Star. It tells the story of a humanoid clay puppet. When the world is on the verge of collapse, the puppet traces the whereabouts of the water fragments within the ancient city, and throughout their journey of defeating enemies and seeking answers, unravels the story of the world and oneself. The game features various landscapes including abandoned ruins, a magnificent ancient city, gloomy prison, vast rift valley, expansive snowfield, deadly forest, and a floating city. Non-linear levels are interconnected, distinct, and intricate

kimcorecoba

Neo Member
It feels like it would be playing like Wo long. I like that. I just hope the settings are designed better than wo long for more exploration aka soulsbourne formula

Ginzeen

Banned
Seems like so many Chinese games turn out to be vaporware like Black Myth. Even though I know people say that is coming out. Is this more legit bc it's coming from playstation? Then again, I remember the Abandoned game having a PS watermark 😂
I wouldn't call black myth vaporware just yet, it was showed in 2020 at very early development. Hasn't been that long.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
It looks good but it also looks like these videos could have been recorded from Black Myth.

Is it using the same engine or are these AAA chinese games getting the same general looks for some other reason?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Has potential. But the thing about souls-likes is that a very difficult game turns to total shit if the difficulty and enemy balancing isn't nearly perfect. Turns out to be a pretty tall order for inexperienced studios. There's definitely some cool art and animation work here though.

I wouldn't call black myth vaporware just yet, it was showed in 2020 at very early development. Hasn't been that long.
I know it. I'm hopeful it turns out well. I thought Atomic heart was going to be the same situation but I was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully this will be the same situation.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Seems like so many Chinese games turn out to be vaporware like Black Myth. Even though I know people say that is coming out. Is this more legit bc it's coming from playstation? Then again, I remember the Abandoned game having a PS watermark 😂
This is infinitely more legit because it is part of the China Hero project. Other China Hero project games that have already been released include:
  • F.I.S.T
  • Anno: Mutantionem
  • Boundary
  • In Nightmare
  • Animal Force, etc.
Abandoned was not a part of PlayStation's China Hero project. It was just an indie game; anyone indie can publish a game on PlayStation, Xbox, or Nintendo.

StueyDuck

I'll be interested when chinese/Korean games provide more than super realistic Unreal visuals and basically nothing else

Last edited:

StueyDuck

There's a few that have made it over. Sword and Fairy, Gungrave, Lies of P. More AA games, but they're real.
Eh they are all just lesser versions of good games that already exist.

I wanna see a unique and original game come out of these countries instead of just visuals with mediocre to ok mechanics copy/pasted from a big AAA game

Kurimao

rSip8N1.gif

MORE!

Filben

I've read "China" and "Watermarks" and my immediate thought was they made a game with stole assets that still has watermarks on them :messenger_neutral:

Reactions: Fuz

mortal

Gold Member
Looks nice, but why do so many of these games coming out of China look the same?

3rd person, melee action
Mythical /fantastical Chinese setting

Gideon

Looks nice, but why do so many of these games coming out of China look the same?

3rd person, melee action
Mythical /fantastical Chinese setting
Why not? I'm of the opinion we need way more of these games as there's barely any good ones.

mortal

Gold Member
Why not? I'm of the opinion we need way more of these games as there's barely any good ones.
It’s just odd. It’d be like if every other game coming out of the USA were fantasy colonial action games.
With more than a billion people, I’d expect more variety tbh. I don't think the industry needs more derivative games.

Last edited:

Gideon

It’s just odd. It’d be like if every other game coming out of the USA were fantasy colonial action games.
With more than a billion people, I’d expect more variety tbh. I don't think the industry needs more derivative games.
I think China has only recently entered the big AAA (non-mobile) games starting when black myth was announced (iirc).

mortal

Gold Member
I think China has only recently entered the big AAA (non-mobile) games starting when black myth was announced (iirc).
Sure it’s a cool setting and Sekiro-like action is fun, but even so, I don't think that's any excuse for a lack of variety in AAA game design or even the art design.

Pejo

At least these guys have released games before.
Well that's a twist, I was sure this was another one of those 1-2 man projects that surely will release.

Chinese high quality looking 3rd person action vaporware on my Playstation? No way.

Looks very souls-y, but I'd be interested to see it once it gets further along. This looks like Alpha footage.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Thought there were couple big titles. F.I.S.T. was pretty decent actually.
Seven of the previously announced 14 China Hero Project games have come out since the program started in 2016 (and Boundary is finally in early access on pc.) The Chinese vaporware reputation is a thing (though I don't know if anybody ever did any math to see if it's any different from elsewhere?) but CHP has a fair history of coming through.

Like this one?

That team has actually just announced a new game at the same event:

(Only a no- gameplay teaser so far...)

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Like this one?

Damn bro, you got me. One game. Chinese and korean vaporware is a real thing tho. Its a known fact that most game announcements are just money laundering schemes. Most have never seen the light of day. It's very common, in case you did not know this. But I forgive you.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Damn bro, you got me. One game. Chinese and korean vaporware is a real thing tho. Its a known fact that most game announcements are just money laundering schemes. Most have never seen the light of day.

Again, seven of the 17 announced Wave 1&2 games in the China Hero Project program have been released, an eighth is out in Early Access, three have been formally canceled (which you usually don't get confirmation of with vaporware,) and four more had updates with release plans at this Singapore event.

Whatever the rep or rumors are onhand from China, the CHP leadership picks and handles titles in the program with clear intention to get to the finish line.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Again, seven of the 17 announced Wave 1&2 games in the China Hero Project program have been released, an eighth is out in Early Access, and four more had updates with release plans at this Singapore event.

Whatever the rep or rumors are onhand from China, the CHP leadership picks and handles titles in the program with clear intention to get to the finish line.

The CHP might be legit, or at least for indies but big games that look suspiciously better than most big 3A games? Yeah nah.

Top Bottom