• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playnite |OT| Yes, your PC can look like a console now

Codiox

Lets discuss here about Playnite!

Playnite website

Playnite forum

From the website:

Playnite is an open source video game library manager with one simple goal: To provide a unified interface for all of your games!

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

Import popular libraries​

Link games from Steam, Epic, Origin, GOG, Battle.net, Uplay, Twitch, Bethesda and itch.io, including games that are not installed! Microsoft Store (Xbox App) games are also supported. Click here for a full list of features supported from each service.

Emulation support​

Playnite supports a wide variety of console emulators.

Themes​

Playnite's look can be almost fully customized, from simple color changes to complete layout re-designs.

Extensions​

Playnite can be extended with plugins (written in .NET languages) or by scripts (PowerShell and IronPython are currently supported).

Fullscreen mode​

Fullscreen mode with full controller support is available.

screen3.jpg

screen4.jpg

Playtime counter​

Playnite tracks your time in-game (any game including emulated ones).

Fast​

Playnite's user interface is fast and light on resources, even with large libraries.

Portable​

Playnite can run from portable storage without need of installing system dependencies.

Completely Free​

No Playnite features are locked behind a paywall and the complete source code is available under the MIT license.

Safe and private​

Playnite doesn't store any user information on remote servers. All information about your library is stored locally on your PC. When linking account we only save the same amount of information as when you sign-in into related library/store via web browser.

igdb.com integration​

Playnite can automatically download metadata for all of your games, including custom ones (covers, descriptions and other information).

Im using it since a year now and Playnite helped me to build my own console experience on PC:

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Why? You never got a console like frontend with that much customization like this until now.
Don't mind me, I may overreact when I hear about walled gardens on PC.
There's nothing I hate more than console frontends and walled gardens on a computer.

Komatsu

I have been using Launchbox for years but the fact you can import UWP games with Playnite makes me want to give this a try

Codiox

maybe but people don't build a PC to have a console experience.
lol this was the reason I built mine. I wanted the flexibility and power of the pc hardware with the console experience. Im running my pc on my TV and only with controller, once set up it works great! It's also integrated in my TV rack so I play solely from couch.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
ehh the interface isnt the problem its splintered functionality of the game services. Though they are starting to mimic one another now days.. that is until thye EPIC store came along. .....

Durask

Looks nice but my TV-attached gaming PC has a keyboard and mouse and I do not like console interfaced to begin with, give me PC like interface any day :messenger_grinning:

Stock photo of Razer Turret (very nice for PC attached to TV).

iu

Last edited:

Duece

Neo Member
Looks nice but my TV-attached gaming PC has a keyboard and mouse and I do not like console interfaced to begin with, give me PC like interface any day :messenger_grinning:

Stock photo of Razer Turret (very nice for PC attached to TV).

iu

First, that's a very nice keyboard and mouse set.

Secondly, I get it and respect your opinion but in my case, I spent 27 years on consoles before going over to PC gaming and I do NOT play my games with a keyboard and mouse (this is NOT a criticism of those who do), so having the console like interface was a bit easier for me, also I use retroarch which can be controlled with a keyboard and mouse but is made with controllers in mind.

Durask

First, that's a very nice keyboard and mouse set.

Secondly, I get it and respect your opinion but in my case, I spent 27 years on consoles before going over to PC gaming and I do NOT play my games with a keyboard and mouse (this is NOT a criticism of those who do), so having the console like interface was a bit easier for me, also I use retroarch which can be controlled with a keyboard and mouse but is made with controllers in mind.

I use controller for pretty much every game except first person shooters, however I still use keyboard and mouse to navigate the PC

Duece

Neo Member
I use controller for pretty much every game except first person shooters, however I still use keyboard and mouse to navigate the PC

I also use a keyboard and mouse to navigate the PC.

I just use the controller for Playnite and Retroarch.

We're all adults, we spend big money on these setups, and honestly, we can do with them however we want. Keyboard, mouse, trackball, Xbox controller, NES gamer glove, whatever.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
My god, some of the comments in this thread are crazy.

If you don't want a controller-friendly frontend for a PC, then don't fucking use it. People in here making statements on 'what people build PC's for' or calling this a 'walled garden' are just hopelessly uninformed and ignorant.

Great idea for a thread, OP. Playnite and Bigbox are both fantastic pieces of software, especially for uniting your games across multiple storefronts, and Playnite works flawlessly as a launcher for couch gaming.

Codiox

My god, some of the comments in this thread are crazy.

If you don't want a controller-friendly frontend for a PC, then don't fucking use it. People in here making statements on 'what people build PC's for' or calling this a 'walled garden' are just hopelessly uninformed and ignorant.

Great idea for a thread, OP. Playnite and Bigbox are both fantastic pieces of software, especially for uniting your games across multiple storefronts, and Playnite works flawlessly as a launcher for couch gaming.
absolutely. im using playnite as the autostart frontend and from there i can go to bigbox. its an awesome seamingless expierience

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I thought this was about custom cases.
Why would you want this?

Duece

Neo Member
I thought this was about custom cases.
Why would you want this?
Some people just want a clean interface for their games, there's nothing wrong with having it or not having it.

I know people who emulate use frontends because it's easier to load games and settings that way.

I still laugh at people getting all sassy over people using a launcher. This is why I never fucked with nerds.

Top Bottom