• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel-Art in video games, not just some squares.

Holammer

GuardGrave was released today for PC, an arcade game taking inspiration from Burger Time & Don Doko Don. From Canadian Monster Bath Games, the guys behind Battle Princess Madelyn and the currently Switch exclusive Deathwish Enforcers. I'll grab it later.

This came out of early access last week with a full PC release and a Switch version. From US dev Jaspel, it's a roguelike deckbuilder where you organize your inventory to win. Saw some good buzz about it.

Small Saga is a turnbased JRPG and the result of a kickstarter four years ago. There's some clever ideas here, a berserker mouse swinging a Swiss army knife like a buster sword, a pyromancer with a dispostable lighter. This UK developed game seems to be a mainly one man project and it's currently very well recieved on Steam.

Happymeal Inc's Final Exerion was released Switch two months ago and it had a PC release today. Based on a small series of games starting with Exerion from 1983. A Galaxian/galaga type game notable for having a bit of momentum in the controls and pretty sick graphics effects for the time.

nkarafo

OK, this isn't exactly Pixel Art, but like Cup-Head, it's one of the rare examples of a modern 2D game that looks clean without having that ugly Adobe Flash vibe:

While not as smooth as Cup-Head since it's not animated in "ones", it still looks great because it uses actual animation instead of the dreaded skeletal one. As a result, it looks like you are controlling an actual, HD cartoon.

Sophist

Found this program to convert image to pixel art.

imagey8ewv.jpg

testy1clt.png

Holammer

Link's Awakening DX HD for PC released 10 days ago and I finally got around to try it out. It's a better than perfect port of the GBC version with widescreen support, a larger play area and having the entire map on screen is possible, high refresh rates (240 fps worked fine), subtle lighting effects from emissive sources, pixel perfect controls with analogue stick & general QoL changes. It comes with the source code and everything is easy to access. Art like sprite sheets are plain PNG files so an artist could easily drawover with a few more colors for detail & shading, without having to struggle with some strange pak files.

There's no ROM required so this is going to be taken down by Nintendo any second now, grab it now while you can. It did not recognize my DualSense controller, but add it to Steam as a Non-Steam game and it works. Itch.io is freaked out over the file as an unknown new user uploaded it without prior history on the site. I can't guarantee it's not going to mine bitcoins on your system, but I can vouch for it working. It also needs .NET 6.0 installed, windows will ask if you want to install it, so no biggie.

Cross Blitz is a deckbuilding roguelike RPG released on Early Access. It's reception on Steam is mixed and even I wonder if it really needed a pixel art aestetic? But in this thread we celebrate the pixel!

Die in a Dungeon's title is a pun that hints as how it functions mechanically. You play using coloured dice with different functions rather than cards and upgrade individual die or find new ones as loot. It sounds bonkers at a glance, but it makes sense after just a few minutes. Coming soon on PC.

This one is very well received on Steam with a 97% user score average. Available for Switch and PC. It goes in the wishlist and it's a perfect example of how a good publisher can help a game, the devs self-published another well recieved title with similar themes which seems to have failed to find an audiance.

Last edited:

Holammer

You might want to have Crystal Story: Dawn of Dusk on your radar. An action-Rpg taking inspiration and cues from everywhere. Earthbound, FF6 and it's robbing Undertale blind. In fact, it might lean too heavily into references from the little I've seen, but the art looks top-tier.

Holammer

Spanish developer MadgearGames's Kemono Heroes released for the Switch 2020 and is finally releasing on "all the platforms" Q3 2024. Previously published by NISA, now via JanduSoft.

Sunkissed City got a Steam page the other day. If it looks familiar, it's made by Arthur Lee (Mr. Podunkian) a guy that helped out with updates to Stardew Valley.
Aiming for a PC release Q4 2024 "and hopefully consoles soon thereafter".
The video is 11 month old demo showing some enviroments and not repressentative of its current state, check out his Twitter for more up-to-date clips & info.

Holammer

GF8pBGcbsAAbQDe

Japanese indie dev RETSUZAN's seven 'Game Buddy' games previously released on Switch two+ years ago got Steam releases with a new publisher. They look and sound similar to a Gameboy and borrow popular themes & mechanics from a few famous games. You can probably tell which ones just by looking at the title screen images.

Swedish developer Pixel Ferrets's Secrets of Grindea left Steam Early Access just a few days ago. It's been worked on for 13 years and started as a student project back in 2011. It already sold a couple 100k and is favorably recived on Steam with a 90% user rating.

Miracle's Hop Top is a fusion/mashup of Galaga and a platformer. This vertically scrolling arcade game seems to have been a fun side project for the developer which is currently working on an 80's anime styled Puzzle game called Dreamshot Fantasia.

Holammer

Hebereke Enjoy Edition was recently released. Since the original was a late 1991 NES release and considered too cutesy for most regions, it only ever saw release in Japan and Scandinavia, where it suffered a little bit of stupid localization and was released as Ufouria: The Saga. It's a proto-Metroidvania which features many of the now common tropes of the genre, there's a map, you unlock new characters and abilities for them as you explore the world. While it's unknown in the west, the series continued on the SNES with wildly different games like puzzle & racing.
Out now on PC/Steam and Switch.

Tezcatek, a Texas based developer finished & released their Kickstarter project just a few days ago. An action platformer which smash & grabs a lot from Castlevania IV and Castlevania: Bloodlines. It borderline looks like they might have overdrawn the sprites, but it does look good and for some reason it includes the name and likness of Bela Lugosi.

Korean dev Maetdol Games's Nightmare the Lunatic, a roguelike action platformer came out of Steam Early access. Where it seems to have been largely forgotten without making any waves. Someone needs a publisher!

As one Korean game leaves Early Access, another one enters with Magic Boutique of Royal Blue, a cutesy RPG with monster girls. It's not Kkangto Studio's first rodeo as they released a similar game with Alchemist of Pipi Forest back in 2021.

Holammer

Canari Games, the creator of Lunark is working on Link's Awakening clone.

Point & Pixel Adventures just released its Monkey Island inspired point and click adventure game. The Spanish developers last game was a Maniac Mansion clone called The Castle so I sense a theme.

CamHostage

So, this one dates back to 2021, but we were talking in a different thread about the future of the development team handling Dead Cells, the actual new game from the lead designer (who left the company to start a one-man-dev operation) and I found that perhaps this game had never have been brought up before on GAF. (Maybe I'm wrong on that? Either way, enjoy if you missed it.)

Nuclear Blaze, by Sébastien Benard, is a 2D firefighter platformer/exploration game. Available on PC, PS4, and Switch.

gameplay3-banner.gif

Last edited:

Holammer

Beyond the Ice Palace from 1988 is getting a pixel art metroidvania sequel for PC and Consoles. In the works by French developer STORYBIRD Studio. The guys behind Aggelos and most recently Ganryu 2.
Afaik the original game started development as a Thundercats license and was later pitched to Capcom as Ghost & Goblins: Beyond the Ice Palace, but Capcom was working on Ghoul's & Ghosts, so they had to put it out there without a license attached.

Ironic to see a game which failed to score a big name license getting pawned off as a somewhat recognizable IP 36 years later.

Top Bottom