• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars Of Eternity:Complete Edition|OT| The perfect chance to revisit Raedric's Hold

Banned
I'm really starting to feel the load times, especially when running around to the different parts of Defiance Bay trying to complete some of the side-quests and tasks. Seriously.

Enter First Fires - loading screen.
Walk over to and enter Crucible Keep - loading screen.
Talk to Commander Clyver. Get a task to go to talk to someone in Copperlane.
Leave Crucible Keep - loading screen.
Enter Copperlane - loading screen.
Go to and enter Building ____ - loading screen.
"Sorry that person is not here. They're in Ondra's Gift."
Leave Building ____ - loading screen.
Enter Ondra's Gift - loading screen.

...and so forth and so on. I'm trying to stay in the moment, but right not I feel like I'm playing Skyrim on PS3. These load screens are all approx 45 to 55 seconds, and stacked up in a quest like the example above, end up accounting for more of my time in the game than being in the actual game. I really hope this can get patched.

Staf

God damnit. This game has too many interesting/fun companions. Especially when you get to white march. The only character i really don't care about yet is the
druid fellow

TheChaos

I'm really starting to feel the load times, especially when running around to the different parts of Defiance Bay trying to complete some of the side-quests and tasks. Seriously.

...and so forth and so on. I'm trying to stay in the moment, but right not I feel like I'm playing Skyrim on PS3. These load screens are all approx 45 to 55 seconds, and stacked up in a quest like the example above, end up accounting for more of my time in the game than being in the actual game. I really hope this can get patched.

Unfortunately it has to do with the engine itself. This game had longish load times even on high-end PCs. One you finish up Defiance Bay it gets less annoying.

Banned
Unfortunately it has to do with the engine itself. This game had longish load times even on high-end PCs. One you finish up Defiance Bay it gets less annoying.

Ah, well... I'll soldier on. Enjoying it so far but I keep getting distracted from the main quest by all these folks needing assistance! Man, the story with the kid waiting for his Dad in the brothel...

IvorB

Well, game seems pretty great so far. One thing I'm confused about is: how can I use my fighter abilities in combat? When I choose abilities from the radial menu most of them are not there... Anyone know?

Altazor

Ah, well... I'll soldier on. Enjoying it so far but I keep getting distracted from the main quest by all these folks needing assistance! Man, the story with the kid waiting for his Dad in the brothel...

is that the one with
the dead kid in Ondra's Gift?
If so... man, that one made me a wreck. I had no qualms about
killing the murderer
. Fuck that guy, he deserved it.

Anno

Well, game seems pretty great so far. One thing I'm confused about is: how can I use my fighter abilities in combat? When I choose abilities from the radial menu most of them are not there... Anyone know?

What abilities did you take? Fighters have a good number of passive skills especially early on.

Also apparently there was a patch:

Greetings everyone!
We've just released a small patch for Pillars of Eternity on PS4 (don't worry, it's coming for Xbox as well!) and for your enjoyment here are the patch notes:

- The game should now function the same on all locales. No more "missing item 67".
- Retraining a character now updates the attributes correctly.
- Combat now ends properly, even if last enemy was mind controlled or confused.
- Skaen Temple guards now have the proper amount of deflection.
- Crafting & Enchanting menus now show actual requirements.
- Female characters are now treated as female in voice over.
- The world map now opens correctly when pressing the world map button.
- Controls are no longer inverted when adding or removing party members.

Female characters were getting male voiceovers? Weird.

Anno

So what's the deal with monks? What armor should you put on them?

I think most monks end up in relatively heavy armor since Swift Strikes can make up for the recovery penalty and because they want to be taking hits. Monks with the Sanguine Plate unique are extra fun if you have that.

Staf

I think most monks end up in relatively heavy armor since Swift Strikes can make up for the recovery penalty and because they want to be taking hits. Monks with the Sanguine Plate unique are extra fun if you have that.

I actually ended up benching the monk. I found the paladin with the lay on hands ability much more useful with my tank and barbarian up front.

Anno

I actually ended up benching the monk. I found the paladin with the lay on hands ability much more useful with my tank and barbarian up front.

Yeah that's a good solid wall of melee. Especially with your barb approaching his/her godmode ability if not there already.

Staf

Yeah that's a good solid wall of melee. Especially with your barb approaching his/her godmode ability if not there already.

She is fairly new, only lvl 9 i believe, so probably don't have that ability. She runs around in a light armor though, that's a bad choice right? If i remember correctly from BG2 that class couldn't even wear heavy armor.

By the way Anno your a godsend! Helping us/me poor console peasants with our dumb questions lol.

Anno

She is fairly new, only lvl 9 i believe, so probably don't have that ability. She runs around in a light armor though, that's a bad choice right? If i remember correctly from BG2 that class couldn't even wear heavy armor.

By the way Anno your a godsend! Helping us/me poor console peasants with our dumb questions lol.

You mean your barb is wearing light armor? I mean if you can make it work then go for it. I think she'll probably wind up in something heavier eventually though. WM1 is great for barbs in general and it's where the class starts to become one with the widest array of weapon options and fun trick builds.

Happy to help. As you can probably tell I just really like the game and am glad to see a new set of people being able to enjoy it.

Saphirax

About to start White March. I'm loving this game, but some of the bugs haven't been ironed out even with the latest patch. Nothing a reboot can't fix, but bugs like your animal companion disappearing and being unable to select any spells in a grimoire can get a bit annoying. Luckily, it's nothing game-breaking :p.

IvorB

What abilities did you take? Fighters have a good number of passive skills especially early on.

Hmmm... looks like the ones I have are passives. I was sure I picked an active skill also but maybe not.

Is there any way to see the full fighter abilities info for the ones he has? All I can find is this list on his character sheet...

Anno

Hmmm... looks like the ones I have are passives. I was sure I picked an active skill also but maybe not.

Is there any way to see the full fighter abilities info for the ones he has? All I can find is this list on his character sheet...

I'm pretty sure you're forced to take an active ability at level 1 so I think you have to have something. Unfortunately I don't know how the console UI works to really know how to get to it.

If you mean all of the abilities they can get throughout the game then check the Wiki. If you mean more in-depth descriptions of the abilities on his sheet then I'm sure you can but again I'm not sure how on consoles.

You mean your barb is wearing light armor? I mean if you can make it work then go for it. I think she'll probably wind up in something heavier eventually though. WM1 is great for barbs in general and it's where the class starts to become one with the widest array of weapon options and fun trick builds.

Barbarians are so much fun. I ran a trick interrupt barbarian once that basically just played as a rogue. Completely dumped Con and Res, pumped everything else, focusing on Per and Int first. It just involved running around around with a morning star for max interrupt and cloth armour to keep recovery at zero while frenzied for faster attack speed. You just stun lock everyone.

Does anyone know what what the new patch does (1.04)?

Here you go:

- The game should now function the same on all locales. No more "missing item 67".
- Retraining a character now updates the attributes correctly.
- Combat now ends properly, even if last enemy was mind controlled or confused.
- Skaen Temple guards now have the proper amount of deflection.
- Crafting & Enchanting menus now show actual requirements.
- Female characters are now treated as female in voice over.
- The world map now opens correctly when pressing the world map button.
- Controls are no longer inverted when adding or removing party members.

adj_noun

Yeah. Whenever I play Pillars, I have a book handy for the load times.

Hopefully Pillars 2 is better in that regard. :/

IvorB

I'm pretty sure you're forced to take an active ability at level 1 so I think you have to have something. Unfortunately I don't know how the console UI works to really know how to get to it.

If you mean all of the abilities they can get throughout the game then check the Wiki. If you mean more in-depth descriptions of the abilities on his sheet then I'm sure you can but again I'm not sure how on consoles.

Yeah I've got Second Wind and Knock Down but I thought I added another. Maybe I'm confused because some of them are indeed passive. Which is why I was wondering if I can see the full tool tip somewhere to refresh my memory because all I can find is the list.

I have to say right now I'm loving everything about this. It's hitting all of the right notes. Game says I've done 16 hours already :O

Anno

Yeah. Whenever I play Pillars, I have a book handy for the load times.

Hopefully Pillars 2 is better in that regard. :/

It was one of the first things they mentioned in their pitch video so I think they're pretty aware. Interiors within a map especially sound like they'll have little to no loading time.

Yeah I've got Second Wind and Knock Down but I thought I added another. Maybe I'm confused because some of them are indeed passive. Which is why I was wondering if I can see the full tool tip somewhere to refresh my memory because all I can find is the list.

I have to say right now I'm loving everything about this. It's hitting all of the right notes. Game says I've done 16 hours already :O

I imagine there has to be a way to get to the advance tooltip from your character spreadsheet. If for some reason there isn't I guess check 'em against the Wiki or ask here.

Staf

I've played 63 hours and i still haven't completed/gotten the achievement for act 2 yet lol. There's so much fun side stuff in this game.

Staf

The worst part of the freaking spores isn't that they spam dominate. It's when the dominate is over you have to switch weapon back! Edér sure loves his bow when dominated...

Banned
is that the one with
the dead kid in Ondra's Gift?
If so... man, that one made me a wreck. I had no qualms about
killing the murderer
. Fuck that guy, he deserved it.

Oooh, did not know you could settle the score. Nice!

Anno

Oooh, did not know you could settle the score. Nice!

Yeah,
one of the dialogue options when you talk to the kids soul is to examine the murder weapon which has a letter engraved on it. B I think? That opens up some dialogue with a shady looking fellow and his crew nearby and you get some vengeance.

Staf

Well i got to the bottom of Caed Nua. That was the shortest battle i've done so far. Guess i'll have to return later lol.

What is the best thing to do for gear, I'm level 6 now but don't seem to be getting any decent gear, even exquisite weapons I've seen don't seem to have much higher damage?

Anno

What is the best thing to do for gear, I'm level 6 now but don't seem to be getting any decent gear, even exquisite weapons I've seen don't seem to have much higher damage?

The actual numbers on the item description don't really ever get massively higher. Damage comes in a lot of different ways. At level 6 you're just getting into the world of uniques and stuff better than just Fine daggers/swords/whatever. So take a look at shops if you have the money. If not you can start going down levels in the Endless Paths and you'll find a couple uniques. That or wait another level or two and head to The White March where the most abundant riches await.

Also don't forget that you may be able to enchant stuff up yourself. Even just adding an elemental lash will give a good amount more damage.

The actual numbers on the item description don't really ever get massively higher. Damage comes in a lot of different ways. At level 6 you're just getting into the world of uniques and stuff better than just Fine daggers/swords/whatever. So take a look at shops if you have the money. If not you can start going down levels in the Endless Paths and you'll find a couple uniques. That or wait another level or two and head to The White March where the most abundant riches await.

Also don't forget that you may be able to enchant stuff up yourself. Even just adding an elemental lash will give a good amount more damage.

Thanks for the advice I did wonder about starting the endless paths, I presume you can exit them at certain points, I've spent a bit on my stronghold so far as the shops didn't seem that great but I seem to have opened one tonight that had better stuff in it.

Banned
Thanks for the advice I did wonder about starting the endless paths, I presume you can exit them at certain points, I've spent a bit on my stronghold so far as the shops didn't seem that great but I seem to have opened one tonight that had better stuff in it.

Yes, there are main staircases every few levels that allow a trip back up top and vise-versa.

Personally, I found the stronghold shops lacking as compared to random drops and the Crucible Keep.

IvorB

I imagine there has to be a way to get to the advance tooltip from your character spreadsheet. If for some reason there isn't I guess check 'em against the Wiki or ask here.

Yeah I can just Google I guess. Thanks for your help.

I've played 63 hours and i still haven't completed/gotten the achievement for act 2 yet lol. There's so much fun side stuff in this game.

Yeah basically just ate, slept and played this all weekend. The hours just melt away.

Finally filled out my party and got a decent composition going so clearing out Raedric's Keep. Going pretty smoothly so far. Though I do have an eye toward booting the dwarf with the annoying doggo. Hopefully I can find another melee fighter soon.

No XP for combat is pretty weird.

Altazor

Well i got to the bottom of Caed Nua. That was the shortest battle i've done so far. Guess i'll have to return later lol.

lol, yeah. Took me an absurd amount of time. I actually left to do the entire WM Part 1 before coming back and seeing if I could finally defeat the Master Below. That felt so good when it happened.

Now now, let's not go saying bad things about Sagani and Itumaak that we can't take back.

your avatar just makes that comment even funnier :lol

Staf

Someone is dunk-posting in this thread, Sagani is great! The only companion i'm all for giving the boot is the druid.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The only companion i'm all for giving the boot is the druid.

If you have him and Pallegina in the party, at some point he asks about her cloaca.

IvorB

That stupid doggo is always running off and getting itself killed. At first I was like 'whatever' but then I realised she gets a debuff when that happens. That's probably sealed her fate. When these enemies can K.O. my characters in a few hits I can't be babysitting a useless dog and an emotional dwarf :(.

Got to Raedric last night. I was totally ready to
make a deal with him but I figured Eder would be pissed off so I killed him instead
. I didn't want another Misc situation where I am losing key party members 'cause they find out I'm a complete asshole.

BeeDog

Got this on PC a long time ago but never got around to play it, mainly because my stationary blows. Got the Complete Edition for PS4 now and finally got out of the tutorial area. So far, so very good! Definitely itches the BG2 scratch, despite me understanding jack shit of the ruleset.

Staf

Hmm, don't know why people down-played white march 1. Just finished and i freaking love it. Great side quests in the town and great dungeon crawling in Durgan's Battery. Now for part 2.

Hmm, don't know why people down-played white march 1. Just finished and i freaking love it. Great side quests in the town and great dungeon crawling in Durgan's Battery. Now for part 2.

What level were you when you headed there, there's so much to do in this game!

Anno

Yeah I really like WM1. The second part pays off way more narratively which is what I think those people enjoy more.

Did you get all the fun loot from WM1? Soulbound weapons, Spelltongue, Bittercut, The Black Pages etc.

Staf

Yeah I really like WM1. The second part pays off way more narratively which is what I think those people enjoy more.

Did you get all the fun loot from WM1? Soulbound weapons, Spelltongue, Bittercut, The Black Pages etc.

Hmm i think so, i entered the dungeon with loads of space in the inventory and left full lol.

Saphirax

DWing two Bittercuts is amazing.

Top Bottom