• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 - Open Beta |OT| No need to phantasize, IT'S HERE.

Komatsu

eeO5YQ9.png

wI7AXnT.png

Developer: SEGA Online R&D
Publisher: SEGA / Microsoft
Genre: Action RPG / MMORPG
Platform(s): Xbox One (Open Beta); PC (Spring 2020)
Releaste Date: March 17th, 2020 (Xbox Only)

Phantasy Star Online 2 is a free-to-play online action role-playing game in the Phantasy Star series developed and published by Sega. Created as a successor to Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe, Phantasy Star Online 2 features gameplay elements and aesthetics reminiscent of previous Phantasy Star games while incorporating unique twists on the formula. The initial version was released for Windows in Japan in July 2012.

A PlayStation Vita version was released in February 2013, while a PlayStation 4 version was released in April 2016. A spin-off/companion game, Phantasy Star Online 2es, was released for Android and iOS in 2014. A Nintendo Switch cloud version, entitled Phantasy Star Online 2 Cloud was released in April 2018. At E3 2019, it was announced that the game would be releasing outside of Asia for the first time exclusively on the Xbox One and Microsoft Windows in early 2020. After a closed beta in early February, Microsoft announced that the Open Beta would be available to all Xbox players, starting on Tuesday, March 17.
[FROM THE WIKI - EDITED]

8CWUShJ.png

The game's story primarily focuses on the exploits of the space-faring organization known as Oracle, who uses Photons to traverse the universe and seek new planets for potential colonization while simultaneously suppressing the threat of the Darkers, alien beings created by evil entities known as Dark Falz that only exist to destroy the universe. Oracle is split between a Mothership, housing the fleet's central core, and a massive fleet of spaceships that contains all civilian entities and the fleet's prime military and exploration department known as ARKS (Artificial Relicit to Keep Species).

Initially, ARKS is sent to investigate activity on three planets: Naberius, a planet whose ecosystem was primarily forest before much of the planet became locked in eternal winter, Lillipa, a desert planet inhabited by rabbit-like natives known as "Lillipans", and Amduscia, a bifurcated planet with a volcanic core surrounded by a mass of floating islands inhabited by humanoid dragonfolk. Later story arcs feature the planet Wopal, an ocean planet, and Harkotan, a planet in the shape of a taijitu inhabited by two opposing races. In EPISODE 4, exploration expands to encompass a fictional counterpart of Earth located in an alternate dimension, and in EPISODE 5, an alternate dimension known as "Omega" located within a black hole becomes the focal point of the story.
[FROM THE WIKI]

SU3Rldi.png

Upon starting the game, the player can select one of several servers, known as "Ships," to play. Players create and customize their characters to be used in the game. The name, gender, race, character class, body and facial features are available for customization during the character creation process, and later, the player can acquire a number of accessories and aesthetic goods to further customize their characters. There are various races available to the players in the game, which include Human, Newman (bio-engineered humanoid elves), CAST (manmade androids), and Deuman (species that contains recessive Darker genes in them).

JxhFyne.png
cxwHfxK.png

At the start of the game, players may select from one of nine starting classes, each with unique stat spreads and weapon specialties. Three more "Successor Classes" can also be unlocked when the player meets certain requirements. Classes can be changed at will in the game's lobby; levels and statistics earned with a specific Class are independent of progress made with other Classes on the same character. Classes can also be customized with Skill Points earned from leveling up, which can be spent on a Skill Tree to learn Skills unique to the Class; Skill abilities can range from passive effects such as boosting stats to toggle abilities that power up your character temporarily. After a certain level, players can also assign a Subclass, a secondary Class that augments the player's Main Class by granting access to most of its Skills, Photon Arts, and Techniques.
PC Battle Interface of Phantasy Star Online 2. In the Ruins stage, the player battles Dark Falz Hunar, one of the main antagonists of the series.

gameplay01.gif
gameplay02.gif

Gameplay in Phantasy Star Online 2 is action-oriented, and features a diverse selection of weapon types and playstyles for the player to choose from. In combat, players engage enemies in real-time with various attacks; attacks can be chained for additional damage. In addition to standard attacks, combos can be augmented with powerful attacks called Photon Arts that use a resource called Photon Points (PP). Certain Classes have the ability to use Techniques, attacks similar to magic, that also use PP. PP is consumed whenever the player uses these attacks; the player cannot attack with Photon Arts or Techniques if they do not have sufficient PP, but PP naturally restores on its own or can be recovered manually by attacking enemies with standard attacks.

In some areas of the game, Photons can be generated by defeating enemies to fill up the Photon level in the environment. In return, Photon-sensitive effects (PSE) can provide bonuses to the players in that area. When one of these effects reaches the maximum level of 8, an event known as PSE Burst can occur where many enemies will rapidly spawn for a limited time. This can be further extended by causing a different PSE Burst to form a Cross Burst.

Upon reaching a certain level, each player will be granted a Mag, a small droid that hovers around the owner. Mags can be fed a variety of items in order to strengthen and eventually evolve them. In addition to enhancing the player's stats, a mag will support the player with abilities such as healing or buffing under certain circumstances. Mags also enable the Photon Blast ability, in which the player and mag summon a Photon-based avatar for a brief time to attack enemies or support party members, depending on the type of mag. Photon Blasts can only be used after defeating a certain number of enemies and generating enough Photon energy to fill up its gauge.
[FROM THE WIKI - EDITED]

HbMas3r.png

WOa5xhu.png

B5g6c4k.png

Humans: A common starting race, known for not being particularly proficient in anything, but very serviceable in all styles of gameplay. Truly a "jack-of-all-trades". The Phantasy Star Online Wiki says: Humans have good HP, and either good S-ATK and S-DEF or T-ATK and T-DEF, depending on gender, with no particularly low stats. They are geared towards the hunter and fighter class.

ikIDPkh.png

Newmans: First introduced in Phantasy Star 2, Newmans, ever since the first PSO, are known for being good at magic and ranged attacks. The Phantasy Star Online Wiki says: Newmans have good T-ATK, and either good R-DEF or T-DEF, depending on gender, but low HP and DEX. They are geared towards the force and techer classes.

xQGeW0j.png

CASTS:
Phantasy Star Online's traditional "tank" robotic race, which bizarrely enough are also divided by gender. The Phantasy Star Online Wiki says: CAST have good HP, S-ATK, R-ATK, and DEX, and either good S-DEF or R-DEF, depending on gender, but low T-ATK and T-DEF. They are geared towards the ranger and gunner classes.

tCmErja.png

giqqBQr.jpg

geDH35g.jpg

p5kZOjB.png

MMORPG.com said:
As my character grew, and I obtained a Mag pet, which I was tasked with feeding to help it grow, each new mission and explosion of loot became an addiction. I pushed myself to take on tougher missions, even if the greater population hadn’t caught up with me yet. I ended up in battles where I was woefully outmatched, and I gained skills that were far ahead of what was even usable to me. I was put in situations where, not paying attention to my surroundings would require me to fail a mission and I’d be forced to start all over again. I can only really describe this feeling as one of excitement. Excitement to test myself, along with others in an MMO environment. Excitement to be in a world where you never know what loot you’ll get, or what skills you may find. Excitement, to return to the Phantasy Star Online universe. - FULL REVIEW

A8iC6ex.jpg

OT SOURCES: PSO2Blog, Wikipedia, Phantasy Star Online Wiki

Last edited:

McCheese

Great work with the OP!

Really stings Microsoft only funded for them to release this in the US, PSO was huge in Europe. they ditched the IP locks, but as it's free-to-play you'll likely want to buy stuff at some point which is where it not being available in my region would become a problem.

Great work with the OP!

Really stings Microsoft only funded for them to release this in the US, PSO was huge in Europe. they ditched the IP locks, but as it's free-to-play you'll likely want to buy stuff at some point which is where it not being available in my region would become a problem.

Downloading the application from the US store won't be a problem. It's playing on the servers. Wonder if bridging + VPN could be a work around? Unless MS + Sega has been clever on this.

Geki-D

Banned
I hate how casts look in PSO2, in the first game HuCasts were like cyborg ninjas, now they look like stupid box robots or mechs.
Kireek.jpg
YsfEK.jpg

Exception being the sexdoll female casts
maxresdefault.jpg

LordKasual

Banned
As an avid PSO and even PSU player, i played this game since Alpha Test on JP and well into the first few big updates on the final. Very repetitive, extremely grindy, classes are bad (only 3-4 weapons? come on bro), rare weapons are bad (majority of them are worse than common weapons until you upgrade), balance is all over the place (i.e. doesnt exist) and the combat, while it had potential, is extremely one-dimensional.

Worst of all though, the story and art direction is now complete and total weeb shit. Casts look stupid, males get ignored as far as costumes go, all the costumes look stupid. Like, PSO has always been anime, but h o l y s h i t this game was anime as fuck.

There is literally a j-pop idol that's a main character. Not joking. One of the episodes reboots the game into a high-school simulator where you fight buildings. There is now a class that fights with blade skates. They had a Mecha-anime crossover where they didn't give the mecha-race in the game any crossover outfits. Only fleshie females.

This game makes PSU look like a masterpiece.

if anyone has played recently and the game got any better, please let me know.

If you were a PSO fan of yesteryears and believe this game to be an actual sequel, please proceed with caution.

/partypooper

edit:

also, force spells don't evolve with level. I'll let that sink in for anyone who understands what it means.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
I was literally a PSO addict on Dreamcast but I didn't enjoy the beta at all.
I don't know if the games just hadn't aged well or if my tastes have just changed greatly..

Kagey K

Banned
I got my character into the mid 20s during the closed beta, can’t wait to go back and play more. Hopefully I didn’t forget everything about how to play the game in these weeks off.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
If you were a PSO fan of yesteryears and believe this game to be an actual sequel, please proceed with caution.
I was literally a PSO addict on Dreamcast but I didn't enjoy the beta at all.
Sega could have very easily called this game something else, changed some names and it never would occur to people it's in any way a sequel to PSO. I'm not saying it's a bad game in of itself, but it really is a terrible sequel to PSO.

Komatsu

I hate how casts look in PSO2, in the first game HuCasts were like cyborg ninjas, now they look like stupid box robots or mechs.
Kireek.jpg
YsfEK.jpg

Exception being the sexdoll female casts
maxresdefault.jpg

I love the old huCAST design in the original PSO, but rest assured you can go for that look and drop the chunkiness entirely. The character creator is pretty flexible.

As an avid PSO and even PSU player, i played this game since Alpha Test on JP and well into the first few big updates on the final. Very repetitive, extremely grindy, classes are bad (only 3-4 weapons? come on bro), rare weapons are bad (majority of them are worse than common weapons until you upgrade), balance is all over the place (i.e. doesnt exist) and the combat, while it had potential, is extremely one-dimensional.

Worst of all though, the story and art direction is now complete and total weeb shit. Casts look stupid, males get ignored as far as costumes go, all the costumes look stupid. Like, PSO has always been anime, but h o l y s h i t this game was anime as fuck.

I play PSO2JP in the first few months after launch, in 2016 and in late 2018 and rest assured the game has become waaay less grindy as the later episodes were removed.

As for the game style, aesthetics et al being rather weeby, well dude, this was a JP exclusive for 8 years. Obviously they catered to their major market - as they soon dropped the idea of releasing it in the West. Now that it's coming stateside, I expect some fine-tuning.

Also, as you mentioned, the original PSO was veeery anime-y as well and there were whole otaku communities around it in 2ch back in 1999/2000/2001.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's been loooong time since I last played games from this series.

I wish they'd give us a Phantasy Star V on modern systems..

Geki-D

Banned
I love the old huCAST design in the original PSO, but rest assured you can go for that look and drop the chunkiness entirely. The character creator is pretty flexible.
I played the JP version some time back and unless they've seriously changed a lot, I couldn't make a decent looking cast. I did like the human male head option, though. but the bodies were all pretty terrible.

cireza

For people who played this. Could you list the games from best to worst? I.e: from each PSO Expansion to Portable to Nova?
This is going to depend on the person and how the games are played.

My list would be :

Online :
PSU + AoI on 360
PSO v2 on Dreamcast
PSO2 : to be evaluated

Offline/solo :
PSO v2 (my personal go-to game for offline)
PS Nova (great content and even some additions compared to PSO2, not very smooth though)
PSO v3 (different kind of game, but I love it)
PSO ep2 (GC, great content, more generous drop rates, toned down difficulty, I still prefer PSO v2 on DC)
PS Portable 2 (good content, but not a smooth experience)
PS Portable (this is pretty much PSU playable offline, not so smooth on PSP)
PSU (offline is really toned downed in terms of content sadly)
PS0 (DS game, really did not like it)

Handheld games don't have a great framerate and ergonomics are not great either. They are still pretty good efforts from Sega. PS Nova is a pretty impressive game for the console, you can see that there was a decent budget and team behind it.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

My list would be :

Online :
PSU + AoI on 360
PSO v2 on Dreamcast

Offline/solo :
PS Nova (great content and even some additions compared to PSO2, not very smooth though)
PSO ep2 (GC, great content, more generous drop rates, toned down difficulty, I still prefer PSO v2 on DC)

Handheld games don't have a great framerate and ergonomics are not great either. They are still pretty good efforts from Sega. PS Nova is a pretty impressive game for the console, you can see that there was a decent budget and team behind it.
great list i agree

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
If we have the closed beta game downloaded do we still have to search for the open beta? Is it a separate game download? Or do we go into the closed beta icon and search for the 'update'?

Kagey K

Banned
If we have the closed beta game downloaded do we still have to search for the open beta? Is it a separate game download? Or do we go into the closed beta icon and search for the 'update'?
They said the beta app would be updated to the full game back when the closed beta launched.

So it should auto update today and we are good to go.

Wonko_C

I borrowed an Xbox One from a friend, I hope I can use the same character on the Steam version when that releases. Does the game require making a Sega account like the Japanese version? Or it just uses your Xbox Live account? If it's the latter that could become a problem for the Steam version, I guess.

Last edited:

My list would be :

Online :
PSU + AoI on 360
PSO v2 on Dreamcast

Offline/solo :

I would love to Patch my PS Nova but fear of messing it up and that any Trophies I get will not count as Sony may recognise a hacked Vita. :(

It's the only reason why I have a hacked PSP/Vita. To get a Fan Translated Patch!

Dane

Downloading the application from the US store won't be a problem. It's playing on the servers. Wonder if bridging + VPN could be a work around? Unless MS + Sega has been clever on this.

I've played outside NA (lots of people did) by just changing the console region.

Amazing. I won't be able to play it though.

PSO was still my favorite game along with the original four single player games.

I still wish we would one day get another single player PS but that won't ever happen and it pains me.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

There is literally a j-pop idol that's a main character. Not joking. One of the episodes reboots the game into a high-school simulator where you fight buildings. There is now a class that fights with blade skates. They had a Mecha-anime crossover where they didn't give the mecha-race in the game any crossover outfits. Only fleshie females.

This game makes PSU look like a masterpiece.

if anyone has played recently and the game got any better, please let me know.

/partypooper

edit:

also, force spells don't evolve with level. I'll let that sink in for anyone who understands what it means.

They prioritized costumes and outfits for the race/gender combo that has the most players? Holy shit, stop the presses! /s

Honestly dude, it sounds like you just don't like a japanese game that caters to japanese audiences.

Kagey K

Banned
Damn I knew I’d be rusty, but its going to take some time to get back into the swing of things. Jumping back in on my lvl 24 Braver feels weird.

Komatsu

I sincerely wish we had dual audio. The voices are good but the dubbing is so out of sync with the "talk" animations that it is super, super jarring.

Also, given that they had issues managing player loads during the CBT, Ship 01 felt... not that crowded?

Wonko_C

I sincerely wish we had dual audio. The voices are good but the dubbing is so out of sync with the "talk" animations that it is super, super jarring.

Also, given that they had issues managing player loads during the CBT, Ship 01 felt... not that crowded?
It does have dual audio. You can switch it before entering the ship selection screen in a menu. That was the first thing I did even before creating my character. I'm so used to the Japanese voices from years of playing there, LOL.

This game is pure SEGA magic and the perfect sequel. It's more PSO only on a much grander scale; albeit with a horrible menu system Who cares mins? the PSO magic is alive and well.
This just shows that when SOJ put their mind to it, give the teams the funds and time to make the games, SEGA can make incredible updates to their IP

Amazing to think this game is years old, it's stunning. So hope now the game is officially released in Pal land so the world of PSO II gamers can truly unite (that was always what was so special about this 1st game)

JLB

Banned
ahhh nostalgia with this game is too much for me. It was my second game I played online in my life, right after Quake Arena. Both on Dreamcast at 56kb connection.
Although the first thing that comes to my mind about it is the image of my idiotic brother deleting my 200hs+ character to start another from the scratch.

Last edited:
I can't remember what console it was but I remember playing this (or an older version) and loving it. Can't remember it it was 1 or 2 gens ago. Anyways, I am downloading this now! It seems there is going to be lots of time to play in the future ahead.

EDIT: I guess it could have been the Dreamcast version. Was there another online console version since then?

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I can't remember what console it was but I remember playing this (or an older version) and loving it. Can't remember it it was 1 or 2 gens ago. Anyways, I am downloading this now! It seems there is going to be lots of time to play in the future ahead.

EDIT: I guess it could have been the Dreamcast version. Was there another online console version since then?

not sure, i think there was a 360/ps3 version, although i havent played another since dc times.

Top Bottom