• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGA Tour 2K21 Announced!

Announcement Trailer:

This August: Golf Got Game. Get your victory dance ready, because 2K has officially announced that PGA TOUR® 2K21 will hit shelves on Friday, August 21, 2020 for the PlayStation®4 system, the Xbox One family of devices, including the Xbox One X and Windows PC via Steam, Nintendo Switch™ system*and Stadia.

Developed by HB Studios, the crew behind The Golf Club 2019 Featuring PGA TOUR, PGA TOUR 2K21 will serve up real pros and real courses including 15 licensed PGA TOUR courses, each scanned using cutting-edge tech to bring all your fave fairways, greens, bunkers, trees, lakes and ponds to life. Even better? You’ll get to dream it, build it, play it as you create your own tricked-out courses with thousands of custom options in the Course Designer.

In PGA TOUR 2K21, to be the best, you have to beat the best. The game features cover athlete Justin Thomas, plus 11 other PGA TOUR pros, who are ready to stand between you and golfing glory in PGA TOUR Career Mode as you compete to become a FedExCup Champion. You can also swing with swag as you create and personalize your very own MyPLAYERs with equipment and apparel from licensed brands including adidas, Polo, Malbon Golf, Callaway Golf, Bridgestone Golf, TaylorMade Golf and more.

Looking for Play-By-Play that slays? PGA TOUR 2K21 features a killer broadcast-style presentation with state-of-the-art graphics, dynamic cutscenes, a seamless replay system, and renowned broadcaster Luke Elvy and analyst Rich Beem keeping it real as they call your shots.

coversocial.jpg

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Oh wow, I remember playing this 4 player on the PC some nights with a beer and joint, some funny chilled times. Migth have been the Tiger Woods version was ages ago though being honest so can barely remember.

Sota4077

I am so damn hyped for this!!! Yet at the same time I have no interest in playing a career mode where I tee off an hit a ball into a fucking woods because my "TEE OFF" ability is not 90/100 like they do with NBA. So depending on how they do this game it could be amazing or it could totally suck donkey balls.

This is just the newest version of The Golf Club.

Still a good game though.
Is this really the Golf Club guys? I don't follow golf or care about the games but they have to be one of the best success stories in a long time. They went from an unpolished barebones golf game with no official sponsorship or branding (which is death for sports games), and now here they are making a 2K game.

Good for them.

Stuart360

I wonder how much EA regrets dropping Tiger Woods. They were very solid selling games, and we got one every year. The Rory game flopped hard and we havent had another one since.

EDIT. Oh wait, this is from 2k?, does that mean EA dropped the license?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Seeing this makes me sad for the days when Tiger Woods PGA was the king of golf games.

Havent played much of The Golf Club.

I wonder how much EA regrets dropping Tiger Woods. They were very solid selling games, and we got one every year. The Rory game flopped hard and we havent had another one since.

EDIT. Oh wait, this is from 2k?, does that mean EA dropped the license?

Yeah they did, this game is just The Golf Club 3

2K has published a new information page about the game on their website now. It looks like they're going to be getting a lot more mileage out of their PGA TOUR license with this one... 12 featured pros, including cover athlete Justin Thomas and 15 PGA TOUR licensed courses. I just hoped they've made some changes and tweaks to the swing interface that causes you to hit a "power" fade with a slow downswing. It doesn't release until August 21, 2020, unfortunately.

Anyway, here's a link to the 2K info page on it:

PGA TOUR 2K21

I will never ever understand the appeal of sports games in a video game format. Especially with golf being incredibly boring in real life I really don't get how people get off on using a controller to swing a fucking stick for hours. Someone care to explain?

Last edited:

TexMex

Yeah definitely up for talking this through, you sound very open minded and sincerely curious!

Anyway - game looks great. Hoping they have a 3 click swing option but buying regardless if not. Will be a good compliment to Everybody's Golf. Always had a good balance of Tiger and Hot Shots on the PS2/3.

Last edited:
I will never ever understand the appeal of sports games in a video game format. Especially with golf being incredibly boring in real life I really don't get how people get off on using a controller to swing a fucking stick for hours. Someone care to explain?

If I have to explain it, you probably wouldn't understand it, especially if you find golf boring in real life. If you "get" real golf, you'll find this game mimics the process of playing the real game well enough to make it a visceral experience. Suffice it to say if you don't like the real game, you won't like the video/computer game. But thanks for having enough curiosity to ask.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The trailer was odd and doesn't do anything good for this game. Looks pretty jank for a 2K sports game.

The trailer was odd and doesn't do anything good for this game. Looks pretty jank for a 2K sports game.
It was very poorly produced and does very little to give you a feel for the game. They jump from one scene to the next so fast that it's hard to absorb what's happening. Way to frantic for a golf game for sure!

If I have to explain it, you probably wouldn't understand it, especially if you find golf boring in real life. If you "get" real golf, you'll find this game mimics the process of playing the real game well enough to make it a visceral experience. Suffice it to say if you don't like the real game, you won't like the video/computer game. But thanks for having enough curiosity to ask.

Hmm. Thanks for the answer and you're probably right I won't understand it since i don't like it in real life either.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Golf games always do.

You'd think a sports game that is literally one character being played, a bunch of onlookers at the green and a bunch of trees would produce 4k worthy visuals, 60 fps, and "should be" the most detailed textures. There aren't 20 football or soccer players to control and a stadium with 1,000s of textures to fill out. Yet they do them fine at 60 fps.

Yet, I think every golf game always looks looks like a generation behind, mediocre visuals and 30 fps.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned

The key is to treat them as a game, not as a "simulation" of a sport, because they are not no matter how much effort a developer puts into it.

Golf games always do.

You'd think a sports game that is literally one character being played, a bunch of onlookers at the green and a bunch of trees would produce 4k worthy visuals, 60 fps, and "should be" the most detailed textures. There aren't 20 football or soccer players to control and a stadium with 1,000s of textures to fill out. Yet they do them fine at 60 fps.

Yet, I think every golf game always looks looks like a generation behind, mediocre visuals and 30 fps.

Great points StreetsofBeige, but I think the last gen look and 30 FPS performance of The Golf Club 2019 is attributable to its being developed in Unity. We don't know for sure yet that PGA TOUR 2K21 won't be able to run at 60 FPS in 4K (on the XBox One X and PS4 Pro), but I doubt it will, after all... it's still Unity, even though HB Studios touts it as a "custom" version of Unity.

What I'm really hoping is that 2K21 is being coded such that it will be able to tap the power of the XBox Series X and the PS5 when they release. With Unity driving the game, it's going to take the additional processing power of those two beasts to run it at 4K/60 FPS, I'm afraid.

Now that 2K is apparently more heavily involved in the direction and marketing of the franchise, I think this will be the last PGA TOUR 2K game we see that will be coded with Unity. I expect them to go to Eco-Motion, or something else that's more cutting edge.

The key is to treat them as a game, not as a "simulation" of a sport, because they are not no matter how much effort a developer puts into it.

I think PGA TOUR 2K21 is going to default to an easy to pick up and play, more arcade style game, which I think is a smart move. The Tiger Woods series from EA Sports always used this approach and it worked for them. However, I can see that they are adding layers of configurability to 2K21's settings which will allow the more realism (I say realism because you're not going to get a simulation without a $14,000 launch monitor being part of the package) minded gamer to tailor it to their preferences. They do that now to a lesser degree in TGC 2019, but it looks like it's going come closer to the EA Sports model on the 'gaming' perspective.

2K posted a video of Justin Thomas and WWE star, "The Miz", discussing and showing clips of game action on You Tube today. We get a different look at the graphics in this video, which I think shows it off a bit more. The Miz greased the skids for a live match with Justin later on, after he's gotten some practice with 2K21. I think that would be a good way to promote the game and to give us hardcore players an idea of the gameplay. I got the impression that The Miz really digs golf and is also a gamer. I didn't know who he was until yesterday :messenger_open_mouth:

[video=youtube;Hy95D4QM7bw]

More news on the PGA TOUR 2K21 front this week. The moderator of the PGA TOUR 2K sub on Reddit collected a list of questions from readers of various forums and got 2K and HB Studios to answer some of them. Some of the big ticket questions were met with answers that a lot of us didn't want to hear, like there will be no cross-play, you can't play as a featured pro in any mode, there still won't be match-up lobbies for multiplayer.

OTOH, there were a lot of answers I liked, such as apparel purchases, through VC or real cash, will not result in boosts of your player's attributes. It's cosmetic only. Furthermore, equipment purchases through VC or real cash, will result in equipment that plays differently, but not necessarily as an overall performance boost (details on this are coming in a future article or feature. You can also concede a hole now in match play, which is good, but you still apparently can't concede a putt.

Here's a link to the post containing all the questions and answers for more detail: Reddit PGA TOUR 2K21 Q&A

2K and HB Studios provided a 4 hole walkthrough of PGA TOUR 2K21 last night for IGN. The 4K You Tube video is here. The play is being shown with all shot aids enabled and a very forgiving set of clubs, so keep that in mind as you start questioning the apparent ease of the game.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I wanna jump in but $60 is just a lot from a new series. I know they did the Golf Club but I need more refinement on that system.

hollams

Gold Member
Went to Florida for vaca last week with a friend who had the game on Stadia and we played each night and it was fun and ran great on Stadia. I bought the game this week on steam and unfortunately there isn't crossplay. There is a society that you can join but even those are not cross platform so that was a bummer.

There are a ton of difficulty options so you can make the game easy/hard as you like. I do like the feeling of the swing stick as tempo is the key factor in getting the shot you want. The graphics look much better than the golf club 2 which is the last game of theirs I played.

Top Bottom