• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gaming on an Oled TV

I have been a console gamer all my life and habe absolutly no experience with a gaming pc. I still plan to play games on consoles, but i've always been a bit jealous of the huge gaming catalogue of indie games on steam. Especially survival and horror games. I consider buying a good gaming pc to play said survival and horror games on pc, but i would like to play them on my couch with a controller (xbox or ps5). I have a few question and hope you guys can answer them.

1. Can i just connect a pc to my lg c1 oled tv with an hdmi cable and be done with it?
2. Can you play every game with a console controller and if not, are they good mouse&keyboard solutions for a couch gamer?
3. Are there helpfull guides for pc gaming on a tv?
4. What would be a good pc to play (all available) horror und survival games on steam and be future proof in that regard?
5. What else should i be aware of ?

Im sorry if my questions already have been answered. Thanks in advance. :)

I have been a console gamer all my life and habe absolutly no experience with a gaming pc. I still plan to play games on consoles, but i've always been a bit jealous of the huge gaming catalogue of indie games on steam. Especially survival and horror games. I consider buying a good gaming pc to play said survival and horror games on pc, but i would like to play them on my couch with a controller (xbox or ps5). I have a few question and hope you guys can answer them.

1. Can i just connect a pc to my lg c1 oled tv with an hdmi cable and be done with it?
2. Can you play every game with a console controller and if not, are they good mouse&keyboard solutions for a couch gamer?
3. Are there helpfull guides for pc gaming on a tv?
4. What would be a good pc to play (all available) horror und survival games on steam and be future proof in that regard?
5. What else should i be aware of ?

Im sorry if my questions already have been answered. Thanks in advance. :)
It's just plug and play in most cases but I always check Pcgamingwiki before to see if there are any quirks or must have mods etc.

Mister Wolf

I use this wireless keyboard with pad sitting on my couch.

d075841e-81de-4f37-9947-e6dae5e0f408_1.04235b17f74f84b564a5e956a3e199c9.jpeg

Jrecard

My PC permanently lives next to my oled tv now. I have steam set to open in big picture mode on startup so I haven't seen my actual desktop in weeks. Works flawlessly with a controller, both in steam and in 99% of games partly thanks to community profiles. PCs are getting close to a console like experience if you want it.

You can also look at things like playnite for library management if you don't just stick to steam.

Last edited:

baphomet

Playing PC games on an OLED is one thing, just don't be using it as a full time monitor unless you want that shit permanently burnt in there.

Kataploom

Gold Member
That's how I play on my PC: Connected to a Neo QLED TV and an Xbox controller... I put a small table to use M&K for competitive online shooters and some personal work, but most of my gaming is done on the couch with controller.

My suggestion is, of you care about wireless and are using an Xbox controller, go get a PC dongle, they work over Bluetooth but sometimes latency can mess

TrebleShot

OK so I’ve got this exact set up.

I moved my PC to the living room last week.
Others have mostly answered the questions.

But here’s my tips.

1. You don’t need to have a traditional desktop with loads of .exe shortcuts keep those off the desktop and have it completely blank.

2. Set a black plain desktop background to avoid burn in.

3. Set the taskbar at the bottom of the screen to be dynamic so it vanishes when not hovering over it.

4. Use steam big picture mode and basically set all games to open via it by adding them as non steam games, this will give you controller support for all games also via the community.

5. You can set things like YouTube to open this way etc but I haven’t set it up personally.

Shtef

One thing that made using PC connected to TV better for me was using playnite: https://playnite.link/.
Its like steam but it can organize all games and emulators, you can customize it as you like and supports navigation with controller.
It also supports themes so you can make it look like xbox or ps dashboard.

XW7d63W.jpeg
Screenshot-01.jpg

Last edited:

MastAndo

Others have answered your questions, but as far as burn-in concerned (i.e. one of the biggest concerns when using an OLED as a monitor), just be sure to take the proper precautions and you should be alright.

I've been using a Samsung S95B as a PC monitor for almost a year now and all is well - I just immediately set it to auto-hide the taskbar, desktop background is solid black with hidden icons and the screen saver kicks in after 2 minutes. I don't do a whole lot of gaming on it, but just be mindful of static elements if you're having marathon game sessions. OLED TV's do come built-in with preventative settings for static UI elements/logos and implement pixel shifting, so again, I wouldn't be overly concerned with it as long as you exercise some caution.

Last edited:

Zug

Been using a 65" LG G1 as my main monitor for over a year now. I left all the default burn-in preventive functions, hide task bar and desktop icons, and set a black screensaver after 2 min.
I do probably 2-3 hours a day of "computer stuff" (including browsing) on it, and not a single sign of burn in so far.
So it's fine as long as you're aware of things and not displaying a static image 24/7.

Regarding inputs, I use an Xbox pad, and a Microsoft AIO keyboard (better than the k400, I had both) + a mouse on the side for games that don't work with a pad.

ahtlas7

I have used an LG OLED tv for Adobe creative suite editing and gaming for over 3 years with no burn-in.
I use common sense ideas such as:
Make sure all the built in tv protections are turned on.
Set your pc screen saver to black and to come on after about 5 min.
Don’t have desktop icons
Set the windows bar to auto hide
Don’t use editors full screen and move them around occasionally
keep windows and programs minimized when not in use
For gaming:
if possible turn off or adjust opaqueness or brightness of any static images (mostly not possible)
I will purposefully flip through menus or maps occasionally to give the pixels firing those static images a break.

And pray you get a good panel

Also, Make sure to use a proper rated, quality HDMI cable plugged into the correct ports and set the panel to gaming mode. If you are going through a receiver make sure it can handle the fps and resolution, then set video to ‘pass through’ or equivalent. If you have ATMOS you’ll have to purchase that capability for windows to allow output.

OLED is the best quality/priced panel since Plasma without the heat or coil whine.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
My PC "monitor" is a 55" OLED. Don't ever wanna go back.

Sounds like you're only using it for gaming and not general PC stuff so don't worry about burn-in. If you do end up using it as a "desktop" then listen to the above advice but also be careful about snapping windows to the corners, that's also a recipe for burn-in.

Aaron Olive

Burn in I got on my C7 OLED using it as a monitor:

20211115-171523.jpg
Others have answered your questions, but as far as burn-in concerned (i.e. one of the biggest concerns when using an OLED as a monitor), just be sure to take the proper precautions and you should be alright.

I've been using a Samsung S95B as a PC monitor for almost a year now and all is well - I just immediately set it to auto-hide the taskbar, desktop background is solid black with hidden icons and the screen saver kicks in after 2 minutes. I don't do a whole lot of gaming on it, but just be mindful of static elements if you're having marathon game sessions. OLED TV's do come built-in with preventative settings for static UI elements/logos and implement pixel shifting, so again, I wouldn't be overly concerned with it as long as you exercise some caution.
This is the way!

Rickyiez

Make sure to Auto hide task bar.
And also a tool to make the task bar transparent . Apparently when it's hidden , there's still a pixel of line there .

I also use a black background so when I'm not using and let it idle for a while , it's pretty much screen off after minimizing everything .

With this , my C1 still doing well after 1 year (touch wood)

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
gaffer makes topic about burn in problems on oled, gaf defends it to death saying these things are rare or impossible on their LG's it cant happen or it never happened to them.
gaffer makes topic abut oled tv as monitor, gaf starts listing a million things he should avoid burn in and talks about their burn in issues.

might as well just buy a normal VA/IPS tv like the sony x90 or something similar and stick to just watching movies and shows on a separate oled tv.

Thanks for all the answers so far.

Would this be a good gaming pc for (steam) survival and horror games and is it somewhat futureproof?

Intel i5-12400F mit 6x 2.50GHz / 4.40GHz Turbotakt, 18MB Cache
Endorfy Spartan 5 Max
Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4
8GB NVIDIA RTX3060Ti (beliebiger Hersteller)
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Kingston 3600MHz Fury Beast
500GB Kingston NV2 M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 NVME (L 3500MB/s ; S 2100MB/s)
7.1 (Realtek ALC897)
650W be quiet! Pure Power 12 M
ENDORFY Ventum 200 AIR mit Glasfenster

Last edited:
gaffer makes topic about burn in problems on oled, gaf defends it to death saying these things are rare or impossible on their LG's it cant happen or it never happened to them.
gaffer makes topic abut oled tv as monitor, gaf starts listing a million things he should avoid burn in and talks about their burn in issues.

might as well just buy a normal VA/IPS tv like the sony x90 or something similar and stick to just watching movies and shows on a separate oled tv.
The reason I have a Samsung QLED TV is because I didn't want to have to do all this stuff people are listing. I don't need to turn management of my TV panel into a full time job to enjoy it. I just leave my Windows looking the same any normal PC would look, with things that improve QoL like seeing the task bar all the time and having icons on my desktop and not having a screen saver at all. You know, like a normal PC that's used for gaming.

Last edited:

MikeM

Xbox controller is the safest one to use on PC. Has a version that comes with a wireless adapter.

I run my PC to my LG C1. All I did was plug it in via hdmi, set the hdr settings and set the monitor settings to 4k 120hz.

EekTheKat

Using an oled monitor, lg 48 inch. it's the PC version of the popular C series, with some changes.

Basically it trades earc for displayport. with less image processing features and an aggressive firmware that runs cleanup a lot.

Based on my estimate it should last a few years

Would I recommend it? probably not. The lack of earc is super annoying and required a comically complicated setup to avoid using optical for console users. It does have optical pass-through though, allowing HDMI audio to output to speakers hooked up through optical to the monitor.

This is sort of my problem though, as I use an hdmi 2.0 soundbar that can't pass 4k vrr very well.

My ideal setup would be using an AV receiver with 4k vrr passthrough instead of a soundbar. optical pass-through on the monitor would feed back into the av receiver for pc/displayport compatibility

If I had more sense I'd dump the displayport and go all hdmi on this thing. But then if I did I'd probably just buy the standard C series and call it a day.

No complaints from the IQ front though, OLED is stunning and HDR sort of works on PC on this thing.

april6e

I basically went the same path as you. Was a console only player (because poor) until later in adult life when I got a PC+OLED tv. Can confirm that it is life changing for gaming if you have a PC strong enough for 4k content and enough money to get one of the better OLEDs like the LG "C" series.

I was metamorphically crying yesterday playing Resident Evil 4 Remake because dark HDR scenes look absolutely incredible on the TV.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
People like OP are cute, it's funny how many people still think hooking things up to a pc comes with a lot of caveats; these things have been plug and play ever since ms introduced games for windows back in...2005? And steam input/big picture has made it all even more easy.

Mister Wolf

Would this be a good gaming pc for (steam) survival and horror games and is it somewhat futureproof?

Endorfy Spartan 5 Max
Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4
7.1 (Realtek ALC897)

[/URL]

Buy a PC with a Nvidia 4000 series GPU.

GymWolf

I use this wireless keyboard with pad sitting on my couch.

d075841e-81de-4f37-9947-e6dae5e0f408_1.04235b17f74f84b564a5e956a3e199c9.jpeg
I have the same one but from experience, the slightly pricier microsoft one is better.

Btw op, i used my last 3 oled tv as pc monitor to play, never had a problem, it is actually the definitive way to enjoy gamimg, a powerfull pc and an oled tv.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Endorfy Spartan 5 Max
Gigabyte B760M DS3H DDR4
7.1 (Realtek ALC897)

[/URL]
May be worth considering 32GB of ram though.
I was using a 12400F until recently, it's good for everything - even PS3 emulation.

Exentryk

As a console gamer, I moved to PC gaming in 2015 when the Witcher 3 released. But I still wanted to only play controller games on pc. And that's what I have done since then - couch gaming on pc via controller. Have my PC connected to an LG C9 via HDMI 2.1 cable currently. PC is amazing and I really dislike going back to playing on consoles now.

Some useful stuff for couch PC:
- Bluetooth keyboard with a mouse pad (as posted above)
- Xbox Elite v2 controller (with wireless adapter)
- (optional) Rewasd software (for controller remapping to set up custom controls like video recording etc from controller)

I love the Xbox controller as it has a long battery life and it connects to pc without any issues. I used to prefer the PS controllers, but I've converted lol. Love them paddles.

PC couch gaming is the best way to play games imo.

Zug

PC gaming on a TV.
Works very well actually, been playing a lot of CRPGs (Baldur's Gate, Solasta, Divinity, Pathfinder ...), strategy games (Frostpunk, C&c remastered...). It's just fine and looks gorgeous on a big OLED panel.
Just just need to have the right setup with a wireless keyboard/mouse set in a confortable way, not too far from the TV (I'm 2-2,5m away from my 65" TV).

TrebleShot

One thing that made using PC connected to TV better for me was using playnite: https://playnite.link/.
Its like steam but it can organize all games and emulators, you can customize it as you like and supports navigation with controller.
It also supports themes so you can make it look like xbox or ps dashboard.

XW7d63W.jpeg
Screenshot-01.jpg
This is awesome thanks for sharing, does it support steam input for controller?

I tried to connect my old gaming laptop to my C1 and it worked like you guys suggested. I could play a couple of rounds of phasmophobia.
I noticed that the gameplay was capped at 30 fps and that the c1 game optimizer was mostly grayed out. I tired to set the hdmi post to pc and game console but the settings of the game optimizer where still greyed out.
Looks like im not able to get the hdmi port connected to the laptop into any kind of gaming mode. I even tried to change hdmi ports. I do not have these kind of problems with my ps5 connected to the c1.

Anyone know what causes the problem and how to solve it?

Top Bottom