• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC component shortages will last until 2022

Guilty_AI

Not really, specifically if you sold your old hardware (graphics cards, consoles, etc.) to fund new stuff.

if youre doing a new build, finding BOTH a CPU and GPU is pretty difficult. And you need both depending on which CPU you choose; ryzen 3 CPU's and intel F-series CPU's NEED a GPU to be able to use the PC. Even if you had a CPU that had integrated graphics, to use as a stopgap until you get a GPU, it's barely viable. Conversely if you get a GPU but can't get a CPU... again, you can't do anything.

So yes it would be a great time to play your backlog IF you already have some sort of hardware to play it, but not if you're doing a new build or buying new consoles.
Then don't sell your old hardware just yet.

dave_d

Then don't sell your old hardware just yet.
Well that's the thing though. I know I've read of people selling their hardware right before the release of the new hardware because they figured it wouldn't be that hard to get the new hardware and that they'd get the best price if they sold it before the new stuff came out. Before this that was the right move to make but this is the first time I've seen where that was a bad move.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Are there shortages for CPUs too? I had no issue at all buying a 5800x here in Spain.

The GPU was a bit more complicated tho. I had to join a Telegram channel that had a bot installed warning people when stock was resupplied.

It was cool tho, the people there where very helpfull to each other, so I recommend doing the same if you are struggling when looking for GPU stock.

dave_d

Yes

That's pretty much what I was seeing too. A few months ago AMD stuff was well under MSRP even for the 3000 series. Now if you can even get the 3000 series expect to pay MSRP. Of course intel isn't having the same issues and can be quite the bargain. (Wow, I just looked and you can get a 10700k for $335. Damn a 3700x isn't that good of deal these days when they go for $330.)

My original plan was to build a new pc with a 5900x and a 3080 early next year, but shit, it doesn't look like that's happening.

It's all good, I still have plenty of older games in the backlog to run through in the time being but it's still disappointing.

me0wish

I bought a pc case a year ago, was planning to build a new PC or at least get a egpu, but screw that, the scarcity of the gpus made me realize that the games, hardware and pricing, all suck.

700$ is somehow "cheap" for a product that is already having issues and reaching its limits, but why should I be surprised when people bought into the 2080ti meme?

PC is becoming harder to justify, and gaming is becoming a frustrating hobby to maintain. Good thing that the ps2/wii library is so vast and varied, they can last me a life time, thank God for emulation.

recursive

Well that's the thing though. I know I've read of people selling their hardware right before the release of the new hardware because they figured it wouldn't be that hard to get the new hardware and that they'd get the best price if they sold it before the new stuff came out. Before this that was the right move to make but this is the first time I've seen where that was a bad move.
Unless you are hurting for $100 that is always the wrong move. Why sell before you have the replacement?

Merkades

I actually don't mind too much if I can't get my GPU, but if I can't get my CPU of choice, then I may just buy a cheap Zen 2 CPU (say a 3600) until I can get my 5950x (yes, overkill, I know...). I already have my case, ram, ssd, PSU,fans (actually expensive and not too easy to get (lian li uni fans sl120 white)) with my dark hero motherboard in queue. I actually had to wait to buy most of this and now I have it waiting in my house, I kind of want to use it.

I do wish more companies offered queues, I don't care if I am #12,986 as long as I know where I am and can see it get lower over time. And on that note, I mean a queue not like EVGA where you get a text and have 8 hours to accept it. Just let me join a queue and mail me my junk when it is my turn. I don't even care if they bill me when I join.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Good thing I am sorted with my 5900x and 3090. I wouldn't enter the market for a GPU until at least the 5XXX series after experiencing this shit. It's utterly miserable and it still is for many people more than 3 months in. Even the CPU was a bitch to acquire. I upgraded from a launch 3700x. When I bought that I had time to browse all the $200 x570 mobos, make my pick and checkout. Took me about a month to get the 5900x.

Clearly there is not enough foundry capacity for these products. AMD fucked themselves over by being pussies and selling off their fabs. Now they have no risk of failing to develop a good process or costs associated with that, but they can't afford to get enough product made to meet the demand. I can't imagine how bad it would be if Nvidia stayed with TSMC. They are all cheap, weak bastards. They don't want to buy the expensive equipment to provide the capacity because they view the risk of downturn as too expensive. It almost seems like they are reducing supply in order to reduce their risk of intermittent downturns.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I just don’t get how I can order an out of stock item from apple and get an estimated shipping date (that usally comes sooner) and not have to worry about scalper yet every other fucking company online can’t manage the same service.
You aren't serious are you? Apple sells 10s of millions of everything in a year. Orders of magnitudes more than any other retailer. They have near complete vertical integration with nothing outside of their direct control. How would AMD do that when they have a shit ton of OEMs then distributors and retailers not to mention that for the GPUs they are each made by AIBs? I guess being an Apple customer lends itself to ignoring the obvious. You are comparing a literal Apple to a bunch of random oranges.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
You aren't serious are you? Apple sells 10s of millions of everything in a year. Orders of magnitudes more than any other retailer. They have near complete vertical integration with nothing outside of their direct control. How would AMD do that when they have a shit ton of OEMs then distributors and retailers not to mention that for the GPUs they are each made by AIBs? I guess being an Apple customer lends itself to ignoring the obvious. You are comparing a literal Apple to a bunch of random oranges.

guess I’m ignorant, pay for something ship to me when its available... Such a radical idea I know

Someone plz sell me their 7700k for a reasonable price. Thx much. Want to stretch my z170 mobo out just a little longer but I went with the i5 because I bought it like 2 months before PC games started taking serious use of multithreading >4. Figured "what a great way to save $100? all those suckers with 8 threads are only getting 4 fps more than the guy with his i5 2500k". Literally every game that's come out since then has been crippled by my 6600k. Have a 1070Ti and it's holding up better because I got a gem of a clocker. Not far from the highest stable clocks I've seen posted online with stock cooling. Just no RT, DLSS etc.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
This title is misleading OP should read a little more. They are talking about Dell, ACER etc that produce these new PC's using said components. Which get them at far larger volumes than the said custom-do-it-yourself PC market. They are talking laptops, all-in-ones and prebuilt desktops not retail/oem cpu/motherboard components. It's much easier to fill newegg's store with cpu stock than it is a order request of 30-50,000 laptops.

By the time this shit gets sorted, Nvidia will have announced Lovelace. Rumor has it Hopper isn't ready and that's a shame cause I really wanted to see the performance uplift with multi-chip modules.

kiphalfton

I actually don't mind too much if I can't get my GPU, but if I can't get my CPU of choice, then I may just buy a cheap Zen 2 CPU (say a 3600) until I can get my 5950x (yes, overkill, I know...). I already have my case, ram, ssd, PSU,fans (actually expensive and not too easy to get (lian li uni fans sl120 white)) with my dark hero motherboard in queue. I actually had to wait to buy most of this and now I have it waiting in my house, I kind of want to use it.

I do wish more companies offered queues, I don't care if I am #12,986 as long as I know where I am and can see it get lower over time. And on that note, I mean a queue not like EVGA where you get a text and have 8 hours to accept it. Just let me join a queue and mail me my junk when it is my turn. I don't even care if they bill me when I join.

You need a GPU if you're getting an AMD Zen 2 or Zen 3 CPU though...

Top Bottom