• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC component shortages will last until 2022

SantaC

It is true. I checked my local online stores. Even the crappy CPUs and Graphic cards are all sold out.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This is why I can't get into PC gaming. Firstly, my country doesn't gets all the models, then there are shortages, then shopkeepers increase the prices whimsically on top of the exorbitant taxes.

This is the weakest reply to PC gaming is hard ive ever read in my life.
And ive heard a shit ton of PC gaming is hard complaints.

Black_Stride

This is the weakest snarky reply I have seen on this forum.
Atleast provide reasons for throwing shade.

Alrighty.
Lets break it down:

This is why I can't get into PC gaming. - Thesis title.

1. my country doesn't gets all the models

And how exactly does that prevent one from getting into PC gaming?
You dont get all the models but I dont think any country gets all the models, you can build with whats available like everyone else on the frikken planet.

2. then there are shortages

Shortages in your country, or shortages in general as per the thread topic....because if you are talking about in general, you almost make it seem like shortages dont affect consoles.....cuz they do.
Shortages arent a PC centric problem.

3. then shopkeepers increase the prices whimsically on top of the exorbitant taxes.

Is this based on the shortages or just in general? Anyway:

PC gaming is expensive......do I really need to attend to this one?
I will just in case.
Ive lived in the UK, the US, Australasia and currently live in Africa......and in every region ive built a gaming machine for my time there.
In Africa the prices are joke level high considering what the pay is, worse than anywhere else ive lived so far......but you can always find a way.
Whether it means using a second hand processor or buying old office computers from an embassy and upgrading them........it is NOT impossible to do.
And unless your country is on a nogo list you could probably just import the parts you need.

vewn

I can't believe this, another full year of shortage and inflated prices?

amd and nvidia better start opening a couple more factories to build their shit...
Neither AMD nor Nvidia build their stuff, they have manufacturing contracts with companies like PC Partner, Asustek, Micro-Star Int., TSMC, Samsung, Micron, SK Hynix, etc. to produce both their chiplets and other semiconductor parts. One of the big issues right now I imagine is both delays in manufacturing of the components due to Sars-CoV outbreaks in manufacturing plants and Covid-19 upending global freight shipping therefore causing delays + inflated prices.

Jethalal

Banned
Alrighty.
Lets break it down:

This is why I can't get into PC gaming. - Thesis title.

1. my country doesn't gets all the models

And how exactly does that prevent one from getting into PC gaming?
You dont get all the models but I dont think any country gets all the models, you can build with whats available like everyone else on the frikken planet.

2. then there are shortages

Shortages in your country, or shortages in general as per the thread topic....because if you are talking about in general, you almost make it seem like shortages dont affect consoles.....cuz they do.
Shortages arent a PC centric problem.

3. then shopkeepers increase the prices whimsically on top of the exorbitant taxes.

Is this based on the shortages or just in general? Anyway:

PC gaming is expensive......do I really need to attend to this one?
I will just in case.
Ive lived in the UK, the US, Australasia and currently live in Africa......and in every region ive built a gaming machine for my time there.
In Africa the prices are joke level high considering what the pay is, worse than anywhere else ive lived so far......but you can always find a way.
Whether it means using a second hand processor or buying old office computers from an embassy and upgrading them........it is NOT impossible to do.
And unless your country is on a nogo list you could probably just import the parts you need.
Thanks for putting in the effort.
I'll address everything point by point.
1. Let's just say I have budgetary problems like African countries. I would want the best bang for buck product, I search for it on the internet and do find one, but when I check online and offline retailers, I don't get the model I want at all because the company hasn't allotted that model to my country. It may not be a dealbreaker for you, but it is a pain in the ass for me.

2. I have never once found shortages for console in my life after half a year of launch but for PC we basically have a lottery type system unless it is a very old model. You still can't find an Nvidia 2000 series graphic card freely but I can get a PS4 if I enter the nearest shop right now.
Shortages do affect consoles, but not to a high degree like PC. Bear in mind, for console, we have to buy a single product but for PCs you have to buy components individually
so even if one is missing, you have to settle for something else. Now you may say I can upgrade later but I don't have that kind of disposable income and 2nd hand market is kinda bust here.

3. It's in general and more so during shortages as they know we don't have any choices.

About your last para, why should I settle for a lesser product when on consoles I get something which will be more future-proof for the same price.
I never said PC Gaming sucks it's just that it doesn't makes sense for me especially considering the country I live in.

Black_Stride

Thanks for putting in the effort.
I'll address everything point by point.
1. Let's just say I have budgetary problems like African countries. I would want the best bang for buck product, I search for it on the internet and do find one, but when I check online and offline retailers, I don't get the model I want at all because the company hasn't allotted that model to my country. It may not be a dealbreaker for you, but it is a pain in the ass for me.

2. I have never once found shortages for console in my life after half a year of launch but for PC we basically have a lottery type system unless it is a very old model. You still can't find an Nvidia 2000 series graphic card freely but I can get a PS4 if I enter the nearest shop right now.
Shortages do affect consoles, but not to a high degree like PC. Bear in mind, for console, we have to buy a single product but for PCs you have to buy components individually
so even if one is missing, you have to settle for something else. Now you may say I can upgrade later but I don't have that kind of disposable income and 2nd hand market is kinda bust here.

3. It's in general and more so during shortages as they know we don't have any choices.

About your last para, why should I settle for a lesser product when on consoles I get something which will be more future-proof for the same price.
I never said PC Gaming sucks it's just that it doesn't makes sense for me especially considering the country I live in.

Just for arguments sake.
This isnt a PC vs Console post aye kay.
I game on anything.
And indeed in third world countries I think best bang for buck a console gets the job done.....but thats pretty much true everywhere.
Unless you were one of those that got a 1080ti way back when, pretty much no GPU has had legs like that since like the 8800.
So yes consoles are more "futureproof" in that sense.....but thats not really the topic at hand.

Why I offered the second hand office PC idea is because at this point second hand PCs from embassies and offices are coming with 7th and 8th gen Intel chips. Import a decent GPU and youve got yourself a very capable gaming machine.....we literally have a whole community of guys here who just keep their ears to the ground for when embassies and offices are upgrading or closing down because we know we can get ourselves some really good processors.
Unless you are planning on playing at super high refreshrates these processors arent just viable they are pretty much idea spec.

If your country had stock, would you be able to afford the USD+Tax price.....alot of people not from the US assume the price listed on USD is the price consumers actually pay, most states actually calculate tax after the fact.

A new PC outright will pretty much always cost more than a comparable console....but again thats not what the topic is.

The topic was shortages on PC components and how thats a fundamental force stopping you from getting into PC gaming.

Which as I said is a really really really weak argument against PC gaming.
If you want the best of the best, it seems to me you wouldnt afford it even if stock was available and/or you were never going to go there because a GPU comparable to a PS5 by itself costs as much as the whole PS5.

So really the fundamental thing you have against PC gaming isnt that shortages occur.....its that you think its too expensive.

Jethalal

Banned
Just for arguments sake.
This isnt a PC vs Console post aye kay.
I game on anything.
And indeed in third world countries I think best bang for buck a console gets the job done.....but thats pretty much true everywhere.
Unless you were one of those that got a 1080ti way back when, pretty much no GPU has had legs like that since like the 8800.
So yes consoles are more "futureproof" in that sense.....but thats not really the topic at hand.

Why I offered the second hand office PC idea is because at this point second hand PCs from embassies and offices are coming with 7th and 8th gen Intel chips. Import a decent GPU and youve got yourself a very capable gaming machine.....we literally have a whole community of guys here who just keep their ears to the ground for when embassies and offices are upgrading or closing down because we know we can get ourselves some really good processors.
Unless you are planning on playing at super high refreshrates these processors arent just viable they are pretty much idea spec.

If your country had stock, would you be able to afford the USD+Tax price.....alot of people not from the US assume the price listed on USD is the price consumers actually pay, most states actually calculate tax after the fact.

A new PC outright will pretty much always cost more than a comparable console....but again thats not what the topic is.

The topic was shortages on PC components and how thats a fundamental force stopping you from getting into PC gaming.

Which as I said is a really really really weak argument against PC gaming.
If you want the best of the best, it seems to me you wouldnt afford it even if stock was available and/or you were never going to go there because a GPU comparable to a PS5 by itself costs as much as the whole PS5.

So really the fundamental thing you have against PC gaming isnt that shortages occur.....its that you think its too expensive.
I do think price is a big deterrent, I was using that to support my argument but shortages do play a big role in that too. When 10XX series was newer, shortages weren't a big issue but in the recent years, due to high demand, low supply, cryptocurrency, etc. the amount of cards available has gone down and what we are getting are shadow launches.

I had no intention of starting a Console v. PC argument , I apologize for doing so. I have used both in past and currently do so but it's just the PC side of things have been irking me a lot.

Black_Stride

I do think price is a big deterrent, I was using that to support my argument but shortages do play a big role in that too. When 10XX series was newer, shortages weren't a big issue but in the recent years, due to high demand, low supply, cryptocurrency, etc. the amount of cards available has gone down and what we are getting are shadow launches.

I had no intention of starting a Console v. PC argument , I apologize for doing so. I have used both in past and currently do so but it's just the PC side of things have been irking me a lot.

No worries no worries.
Shortages plague us all....but they arent really that big a deal atleast not enough of a deal for someone to say thats why I cant get into PC gaming.
Literally unless you needed a 3080 class card, you could/should find a card that performs at required levels right now.

For people hunting 3080 class cards yes thats a problem but not something that would stop them from actually PC gaming right now, get something lower while you wait or just wait to build......but certainly no one who wanted to get into PC gaming would say "ohh shit theres no stock for the best of the best GPUs so PC gaming just isnt for me".

Which is why its a weak argument against PC gaming.

One of the benefits of PC gaming is the fact youve got options on hardware config and can upgrade down the line.
Literally if you were/are waiting for a 3060ti, but need to game right now.....buy a 2080Super basically the same performance.
You needed 3070 levels of performance.....2080Tis are going for less than 3070s right now.

Shortages arent a good argument for why someone cant get into PC gaming that was pretty much my whole point.
Sorry I was snarky earlier, just PC gaming is hard arguments always rile me up because excuses excuses anyone who wanted actually wanted to game on PC who is even remotely literate could be gaming on PC easy work.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Good thing I managed to order a 3070 some days ago. Now fingers crossed that it arrives and doesn't get cancelled.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I’ll be interested to see if there’s any noticeable difference in statistics anywhere with both the new consoles and the lack of PC parts. I’d imagine if the consoles become available sooner than the GPUs then we might see some sort of uptick there, but it might be unnoticeable.

amigastar

vader_NOOOO.jpg

Elios83

Yeah I wanted to build a new desktop PC for Xstmas but I gave up since both the Ryzen 9 5900x and the 3080RTX were impossible to find. This situation totally sucks.
Guess I'll try again around April....maybe nVidia will also release cards with more than 10GB of RAM.

Last edited:

dave_d

Still trying to get a 3xxx nvidia card. Hell even the Ryzen 3XXX are short supply and are now going for MSRP. It made me roll my eyes when Tomshardware did a new article comparing intel to AMD and for some reason decided to use old out of date pricing for the AMD chips which make them look better. (At least from the article they list the 3700 at around $290 which it definitely isn't going for now.) Guess I really lucked out when I got my CPU. (Few months back got a 3800xt for $304)

base

Banned
Yeah, yeah bullshit. They are limiting production to higher the prices. RAM and NAND chip producers are always looking forward for tsunami or other shit so they can explain higher prices.

It is true. I checked my local online stores. Even the crappy CPUs and Graphic cards are all sold out.
Yeah, my local Microcenter has like RX550s and below only with 5700 XTs randomly.

I had a rtx 3080 ordered and was being sent to me when the card first got released. I unfortunately had an emergency where I need funds quick so I cancelled the order. Now I have a pc with great hardware except for the gpu. lol Thankfully I only play a couple games and none need a great gpu. But it is frustrating just waiting.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
When was the last shortage? During the Bitcoin craze about 6 years ago? I am sure this one will pass eventually. Guess I will wait to upgrade.

Yeah I wanted to build a new desktop PC for Xstmas but I gave up since both the Ryzen 9 5900x and the 3080RTX were impossible to find. This situation totally sucks.
Guess I'll try again around April....maybe nVidia will also release cards with more than 10GB of RAM.
Rumor is February will be the reveal. So April is a good guess.

Last edited:

Rikkori

This is why I can't get into PC gaming. Firstly, my country doesn't gets all the models, then there are shortages, then shopkeepers increase the prices whimsically on top of the exorbitant taxes.
If you don't have a PC at all then this is not really a problem for you, because you can buy a pre-built for ok price, and they get priority for components. The issue is for people who just want one component or two. And it's really mostly down to GPUs, rest is fairly easy to get and for normal price, even if they go out of stock sometimes for a few days or a week.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I had a rtx 3080 ordered and was being sent to me when the card first got released. I unfortunately had an emergency where I need funds quick so I cancelled the order. Now I have a pc with great hardware except for the gpu. lol Thankfully I only play a couple games and none need a great gpu. But it is frustrating just waiting.
My 1080Ti needs a replacement (although I think it can offer me at least one more year of service at best), other than that I think I'm set for at least 3-4 more years when it comes to CPU. It looks like there's no point in waiting 3080/6800XT MSRP prices next year, it'll probably not gonna happen, add to that scalpers and miners and it'll be basically impossible.

Wow, so not only the next generation consoles will probably have shortages for quite awhile especially the PS5, but PC components all the way to 2022 possibly? Crazy.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Figured it was going to be a nightmare trying to build my own PC for quite a while given the situation with GPUs and Ryzen 5 CPUs. I just went for a prebuilt PC. Seems to be the most surefire way to get a 3080 or 3090 for close to MSRP as long as you were planning on doing a new build.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's because people were given a lot of free money from the stimulus. Inflation happens because demand goes up.

BuT mIlLiOnS aRe StArViNG.

kiphalfton

Perfect year for....

Not really, specifically if you sold your old hardware (graphics cards, consoles, etc.) to fund new stuff.

if youre doing a new build, finding BOTH a CPU and GPU is pretty difficult. And you need both depending on which CPU you choose; ryzen 3 CPU's and intel F-series CPU's NEED a GPU to be able to use the PC. Even if you had a CPU that had integrated graphics, to use as a stopgap until you get a GPU, it's barely viable. Conversely if you get a GPU but can't get a CPU... again, you can't do anything.

So yes it would be a great time to play your backlog IF you already have some sort of hardware to play it, but not if you're doing a new build or buying new consoles.

Top Bottom