• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parent GAF: Your kids ever wish you death? How'd you handle it?

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
So long story short, my 5 year old daughter was affected pretty severely by my borderline Narc ex and on the way to school this morning she told me "I can't wait till you die so I don't have to go to school" so I just looked in the rearview mirror and said "for now keep waiting" and smiled.

Mistake

Children have no concept of time, so I wouldn't dwell on it too much. It was pretty clear to me every time my students returned after being away for the weekend. I called them Moody Mondays.

If your ex is being negative around the kid, you need to be more positive and loving. Things will balance out as they should

Last edited:

violence

My parents would’ve gone Bruce Lee on my ass

iJmTbnc.jpg

Trunx81

When I read the thread title, I thought you had teenage kids ..
She´s 5 and doesn´t understand what she said. Talk to her about it. What would happen if you weren't around. Consequences of this. Tell her you understand that she doesn´t like school. One of the best parenting advices I´ve ever got was to declare to your kid that you understand what they are going through. Not only "it´s not allowed" or "because I say so", but rather "I understand that this upsets you and I can see why. Let me explain to you why I´m doing this." Same goes for the typical "Don´t you want to clean up your room?"-question. It implies that you are giving your kid a choice, but in the end its a demand. Kids learn this way that their voices don´t matter. "Please clean up your room. Shall we do it together?" works so much better.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So long story short, my 5 year old daughter was affected pretty severely by my borderline Narc ex and on the way to school this morning she told me "I can't wait till you die so I don't have to go to school" so I just looked in the rearview mirror and said "for now keep waiting" and smiled.
Wow you're just gonna sit there and take that? Come on man, she's 5 years old. You can definitely take her in a fight.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve learned that kids will provoke you no matter what you do or say. You can’t be on the same level as a child. You’re the adult. You aren’t their friend. You are setting an example with every word you use and everything you do.

My kid asks me for stuff all the time and I’m the biggest jerk if I don’t do what she says. I’m the worst parent because I don’t let her play M rated games or drink all the soda she asks for. I remind her that my insurance paid to get her teeth fixed.

Kilau

Young kids are like drunks, they have high emotions and don’t really know what the are saying a lot of the time. It can hurt because you love them so much but you have to move past it. Unless… it’s behavior being taught, have to correct that.

Top Bottom