• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario - what do you think of it?

Paper Mario was pretty crappy. There was so much boring, useless shit packed into the game. There were some fun moments but it wasn't worth playing.

Paper Mario 2 is almost the opposite. One of the best games I've played this generation.

En-ou

i usually cant stand turn based games, but i played and finished paper mario 2. the turn based style is amazing. the only other turnbased games i've beaten are the fire emblems, golden sun and advance wars.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
the GC one goes from boring to great to boring again, maybe 4 chapters of boredom (two at the start two at the end) and 4 of fun. It is the a shame it couldn't maintain the excitement to the end, but the backtracking got really tedious. even with the warp pipes

Spike

Paper Mario games are the only Japanese "RPG"'s that I can bring myself to play to completion.

Must be good to keep me playing them to the end.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
GaimeGuy said:
yeah, I must say, PM2 has one of the greatest scripts in any game.
I would go as far and say the best in any. Can't think of a game with better writing.

The number of genious moments was just so huge, totally love the game.

Speevy

Banned
It's flawlessly boring. Fantastically safe. Uninterestingly fun.

Paper Mario 2 is like the demo version of the best RPG ever, or the best SNES RPG ever, whichever you like.

To put it simply, there's nothing wrong with it. But it's not as though the developers went above and beyond with anything but the character art and a few select backdrops.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
the puns and classic references and stuff are just awesome in the game. Very common, too, but they never get old.

The first pun you encounter is like on the 3rd character away from the dock in Rogueport at the beginning of the game. "I wouldn't try to save her [Goombella] even if I had an extra life"

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Speevy said:
It's flawlessly boring. Fantastically safe. Uninterestingly fun.

Paper Mario 2 is like the demo version of the best RPG ever, or the best SNES RPG ever, whichever you like.

To put it simply, there's nothing wrong with it. But it's not as though the developers went above and beyond with anything but the character art and a few select backdrops.
Oh comeon they went above and beyond with a lot. The humor, the countless memorable encounters and settings, the "staged" battles, everything. The battle system is fantastic. How they can balance it this good while only using really small numbers is quite an accomplishment I would think.

Murasame

Pretty funny game, but I didn't find at nearly as funny as Mario & Luigi. Overall its pretty entertaining with an interesting enough battle system. But I dunno, I just burned out on it after a while and stopped playing right near the end. I'll get back to it some day.

Bog

Junior Ace
Great game. One of the few games this gen that I played from start to finish in a timely fashion.

miyuru

I hate Paper Mario, and don't hate but didn't enjoy PM2 very much...

I loved SMRPG. LOVED.

Paper Mario was just way too shallow. Usually Nintendo games are rather simple but deep, like Smash Bros. That's what gives them their charm.

But Paper Mario...I made it to the pyramid place and just quit playing it, I realised I was only playing it because for the sake of playing it, and I wasn't having fun at all anymore :(

PM2, I played further, I got all the stars except one. Battles are fun, but the pacing of the game was way too slow.

I'm surprised more people don't feel the same way as I do :lol

Bebpo

Banned
PM2 had lots of good ideas and some really memorable sections, but as a whole it was a very flawed game that just wasn't as good as PM or SMRPG. Too much backtracking and being too easy were the main culprits that hurt it, whereas the dialogue was funny and the battle system was great. Graphics were top-notch as well. But oh man the backtracking was the worse than any other rpg I've ever played. Could've been an A-level game without it, but as it stands I'd say it's B-ish.

Top Bottom