• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pantera are so underrated

brap

Banned
Ugh...
pantera__rebel_flag_tshirt_band_merch_m_1522137699_a3d3a0d3.jpg

I_D

I do feel like they're a bit overrated, in terms of their godlike/pioneer status (see above), but they are certainly excellent groove-trash music.

Last edited:

Meowzers

I have a Pantera shirt of my bro's that he wore to their concerts. Sure it's got a few tiny holes in it, but I still rock that shit on the anniversary of his death. FFS he used to inject whiskey into himself whilst listening to thrash metal. He was those ppl that wasn't destined to live long, though he died of cancer before he hit 33. I think he'd have preferred to have died with whiskey in his veins. He lived my life 3 times over before I hit that age last year.

McHuj

Pantera was my first concert as a kid. It was amazing.

the show was actually deftones, white zombie, and pantera in the mid 90’s. It was amazing.

Vulgar Display of Power is still one of the best metal albums ever made. I love the riff to Mouth for War! :messenger_horns:

Meowzers

Just got his Ozzfest 98 shirt out now. It's got on it 'Black Sabbath, Foo Fighters, Pantera, Soulfly, Fear Factory, Coal Chamber, Life of Agony, Entombed, Human Waste Project, Pitchshifter, DJ Krusher'

Some bands I never heard of, so are some worth listening to besides the obvious Ozzy and Pantera and Coal Chamber?

teezzy

Banned
Pitchshifter! I haven't heard that name in some time.

Their later material was some cool industrial breakbeat kinda stuff, but maaaan were they on fire when they were just ripping off Godflesh instead.

I wish more bands would just rip off Godflesh tbh.

Meowzers

Pitchshifter! I haven't heard that name in some time.

Their later material was some cool industrial breakbeat kinda stuff, but maaaan were they on fire when they were just ripping off Godflesh instead.

I wish more bands would just rip off Godflesh tbh.

That sounds insanely good. I'd rip off my own flesh to bang like that track.

LordPezix

Pantera is quality metal.

Never heard anyone refer to them being underrated but seeing how far mainstream music has drifted away from rock/metal I can see where one would get this.

Last edited:

Meowzers

Pantera is quality metal.

Never heard anyone refer to them being underrated but seeing how far mainstream music has drifted away from rock/metal I can see where one would get this.
I live in UK so here nobody knows who they are, unless they know their music. If most of you are from the US, then you need to preach to us more, because they're amazing.

I member when my mates were telling me about dimebag interviewed for the guitarist in Megadeth for the Rust in Piece album but he turned it down when Vinnie couldn't join because Nick Menza was already in the band and Dave wouldn't kick him out

Cowboys from Hell, Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven were some of my favourite albums growing up.

Saw them ~1994 in a 2,100 seater stadium. I was in the front row getting crushed to fuck. After about half an hour the power kept cutting out every few minutes. After ten minutes of that Phil launched the mic off the wall, walked off and they didn't come back out. I did get one of Rex's picks which I had stuck to my wall for years.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Pantera was a great band. I don’t get how they could be underrated since anyone that knows metal knows Pantera.

The best band I ever saw live. Only got to see them twice, once in Ozzfest and once when they toured for the Steel album. When they opened with Yesterday Don’t Mean Shit, it was amazing. I’d been to more than a few Ozzfests and other shows and I’d never heard anything so loud or felt such an energy from the crowd. Closest thing was Metallica at Ozzfest years later but they closed the show and everyone had been out for hours in hundred degree Texas sun, there wasn’t as much energy as there should have been.

kingbean

Are they underrated?

I feel like people that know metal generally love Pantera.
I feel like maybe they didn't get the success they deserve but on the whole.

Great Southern Trendkill is one of my favorite albums of all time. I wish I could have gotten to see them live, it's one of life's big let downs.

teezzy

Banned
Weren't Pantera kinda looked down upon for whatever reason by metalhead elitists initially? Like people were hesitant to accept the whole groove metal thingh at first? I swear I read that somewhere.

Weren't Pantera kinda looked down upon for whatever reason by metalhead elitists initially? Like people were hesitant to accept the whole groove metal thingh at first? I swear I read that somewhere.
Pretty sure they started as a glam band which is why they got some stick in their early years.

edit:
lruigq6.jpg

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I would say the over under on them is they are way over. Most of thier “music isn’t good” until he got shot.

They had 2 hits prior to him dying.

Top Bottom