• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the major JRPG franchises, which one do you like the most?

Which JRPG franchise do you prefer?

• Total voters
SMT.... Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 are my favorite jrpgs of all time. The series of games under the SMT family really peaked on the PS2 for me though (when we still had Kaneko more involved with the games). I do love Persona 5 and SMT IV, but I have a lot of criticisms of the direction, art, music and overall world design in the most recent SMT V.

I'm not a huge fan of the art in SMT IV either but they did amazing job with the world design and the OST is just god-tier, probably my favorite OST out of all the games (yes I'm including Persona when I talk about SMT). I am a bit concerned about the future of the original SMT series though, the direction it has been heading for awhile, being more "anime" and all. It has also lost that cool cyberpunk atmosphere that has been a staple of the series. I hope that SMT VI returns more to its roots.

EDIT#2
Added Ys as well. However, for me the series was best when it was not party-based and was strictly Adol as the playable character. Origins was amazing too though, but also not party based.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 are my favorite jrpgs of all time.
Criminally underrated games, or at least I don't see them come up in discussions as often as I'd like.

Probably my favorite story in any SMT game, plus the setting is cool, the music is awesome and the difficulty imo is just right, not too easy nor too hard or grindy in any way.

And while I don't share your hate for SMT V I bet they will go back to the cyberpunk stuff for VI, since V was kinda like a throwback to Nocturne, I think.

Go_Ly_Dow

1. Final Fantasy
2. Xeno
3. Persona
4. NieR
5. Like A Dragon

Like A Dragon/Yakuza I've become accustomed to getting a new game every year or two, but with the other 4 whenever a new mainline/big budget entry is revealed I am hyped all the way until release. They are the main event!

Whenever these kinds of JRPGs phade out because of declining popularity and shifts in the industry then I'll go into gaming semi-retirement and spend the rest of my days replaying already released games, rather than hang on to a hobby that's well past its peak. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
btw, Dragon Quest V is the Dragon Quest made specifically for Final Fantasy fans.
How and why?

also... could Final Fantasy V be the Final Fantasy made for Dragon Quest fans? Cause I loved that one, and it shares some similarities to DQ like the lighthearted plot, the fast pace of the game, a job system and just not taking itself as seriously as for example IV or VI.

EDMIX

SMT.... Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 are my favorite jrpgs of all time. The series of games under the SMT family really peaked on the PS2 for me though (when we still had Kaneko more involved with the games). I do love Persona 5 and SMT IV, but I have a lot of criticisms of the direction, art, music and overall world design in the most recent SMT V.

I'm not a huge fan of the art in SMT IV either but they did amazing job with the world design and the OST is just god-tier, probably my favorite OST out of all the games (yes I'm including Persona when I talk about SMT). I am a bit concerned about the future of the original SMT series though, the direction it has been heading for awhile, being more "anime" and all. It has also lost that cool cyberpunk atmosphere that has been a staple of the series. I hope that SMT VI returns more to its roots.

EDIT#2
Added Ys as well. However, for me the series was best when it was not party-based and was strictly Adol as the playable character. Origins was amazing too though, but also not party based.

Truth.

No Lie Detected.

1. I want to see Digital Devil Saga 3
2. Where the fuck that SMT IV Switch, PS4, PS5 remaster? lol

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll always play FF games.

They make me feel like a kid everytime.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Its still Final Fantasy for me even with all the bad entries. VI through X are stone cold classics, yes even VIII. Most series don’t get five good games, much less five in a row. Insanity.

Inspector Q

Suikoden, Lunar, Shining Force, Final Fantasy

also

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Reactions: Isa
Truth.

No Lie Detected.

1. I want to see Digital Devil Saga 3
2. Where the fuck that SMT IV Switch, PS4, PS5 remaster? lol
Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are 2 parts of one story. It was never meant to be a trilogy. I mean the story is done, there is nothing left to really expand on that wouldn't just be fan service or something (which would never happen because well, the game basically has no fans). It isn't like SMT and Persona where each story is self contained.

The original release of DDS 1 for PS2 came in a box that was fitted to hold exactly 2 PS2 games, so you could fit the sequel in the same box when it would eventually come out. Which sort of emphasizes that the 2 games were made to be part of one story.

To your other point though, yeah I would really love to see SMT IV get a remaster treatment.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't get how Tales of... isn't in here. All time that's my pick, though recent entries have been weaker.

Behind that, I guess SMT if it includes the whole meta and Persona. P5 and SMT5 are probably my favorite JRPGs of the last 5 years.

Pokemon belongs on the list too even if it's not my pick.

Top Bottom