• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the major JRPG franchises, which one do you like the most?

Which JRPG franchise do you prefer?

• Total voters

Jinzo Prime

I'm one of those people who grew up with Mario RPG games and loved most of them. Favorites being Paper Mario TTYD and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. I really like action commands and the distinct limitations put on each kind of move, i.e., not being able to jump on spiked or flaming enemies, or not being able to dodge effectively if your bro gets knocked out. These games are more complex than people give them credit for.

Last edited:
While I love 3 installments of Shin Megami Tensei (Persona 2, Persona 4, and Nocturne), my favorite is the epic that is Dragon Quest V (PS2/NDS). Honorable mention to Dungeon Explorers II, which seemlessly blends JRPG tropes with Gauntlet-style gameplay design.

P.S. Kingdom Hearts is a JRPG?

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Forgot to mention my picks lol.

My two most favorite ones are actually quite the opposite.

One would be Dragon Quest, probably one of the comfiest JRPGs out there. I really love those games because of their art and music, but mostly because of the way the are structured: when you reach a new location like a town or city you are always greeted by new characters and a short story plays out, putting the main story on the back and focusing on those smaller stories gives the game a sense of adventure while also making it more varied and less monotonous.

The other would be the Shin Megami Tensei games, specially III, IV, V and SJ. Love their difficulty and challenge, their OSTs are full of bangers, atmosphere in those games is unmatched and to top it all you have what imho is the best JRPG combat system (press turn) and the always fun demon fusion system.

An honorary pick would be Lufia II, the dungeons in that game are full of puzzles and I wish more games looked at this one and learn from it when it comes to dungeon design.

Griffon

I like Square games (Mana, KH, FF), but most of those other series are more often miss than hits on me.
JRPGs are extremely hard to create, near-impossible to make really great, and no studio has yet to touch Squaresoft's past greatness.

I also did really appreciate Persona 5, but that's about the only SMT game I could enjoy, the rest not so much.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm not sure how to put this eloquently but I think Dragon Quest has done the best of staying true to itself though the various iterations of the series. I've long said that as technology evolved and Square was more closely able to bring the artistic vision to fruition, the less I've enjoyed their games,

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
To elaborate on my choices; Ys is because I love the fast paced nature of the gameplay. Each entry also has a solid cast of characters and the story is usually fun and compelling. My favorite entry is Ys 7: Lacrimosa of Dana followed by Ark of Napishtim.

Dragon Quest is a rather new favorite. I've actually only played DQ 11 but it was so amazing I just instantly fell in love. The story was fantastic, so many twists and turns and you cared about all characters to the very end. Art direction was top notch, great graphics and music and sound also being very good. Loved the turn based combat system. It's one of the best JRPGs I've ever played.

FF is a given. First one was VII back in 97 and I pretty much didn't play anything else for the remainder of the year. Have been a big fan of the franchise ever since, and I've even appreciated the lesser regarded FFs such as 12 and 13. There is something special with a new entry, it's just such a high caliber series to which I have so many fond memories to look back at. FF will always have a special place in my heart.

IAmRei

I welcome Xenoblades as my lovely series, i was more SMT 1-3, ST, before. And before SMT i was more FF5,6,9,12. but again Xeno looks like modern JRPG which connected to me since few years ago.

I also love CT, CC as well. Especially the music, often listen to them to relax my mind.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm not sure how to put this eloquently but I think Dragon Quest has done the best of staying true to itself though the various iterations of the series. I've long said that as technology evolved and Square was more closely able to bring the artistic vision to fruition, the less I've enjoyed their games,
How so? Were you missing other kinds of upgrades to it's game systems aside from just the quality of graphics?

For me, I think one of the reasons I like DQ so much is the fact that they still play like they've always done. DQXI felt like a SNES JRPG but with modern graphics, which for me is a positive.

bender

What time is it?
How so? Were you missing other kinds of upgrades to it's game systems aside from just the quality of graphics?

I think it's just more to how those pixel graphics translated to 3D in reality versus what was in my imagination. Not much to do with the newer games mechanically, though they do tend to feel bloated and heavy handed from a narrative standpoint.

TintoConCasera

though they do tend to feel bloated and heavy handed from a narrative standpoint.
Think I can agree with this, specially having played VII and XI. Those are imo way too long for their own good, but still, amazing games.

Mr Hyde Mr Hyde I really recommend yountry the remakes for the NDS, specially V, which story might be one of my favorites in any game.

Shifty1897

The poll would have been better if people could have only chosen one. I probably would have picked Xenoblade, but I do love some Persona too.

MAX PAYMENT

Pretty new to JRPGs. Definitely going to use this as a recommendation thread. Cool to see dragon quest taking a pretty strong start. I've played 11 and loved it. But how the hell do you even play any of the others on a modern machine?

Reactions: Isa

PanzerCute

Megami Tensei, Final Fantasy and Yakuza, but I love many of them.

I am replaying Eternal Arcadia and I am sad that this did not become a big IP, that game is absolutely stellar and has the same panache and magic as 16 bits FF.

cireza

My personal favorites are Phantasy Star (I to IV) and Shining Force (I II III CD Final Conflict).

Also some Final Fantasy games in the series, not all of them. I commend the variety in these games.
FF XIII trilogy I never get tired of, especially Lightning Returns. XV, VIII and V are my other picks.

Shifty1897

Pretty new to JRPGs. Definitely going to use this as a recommendation thread. Cool to see dragon quest taking a pretty strong start. I've played 11 and loved it. But how the hell do you even play any of the others on a modern machine?
MpQgM1W.jpeg

If you can find a used 3DS you can get 7 and 8, before 11 people used to say 8 was the best one.

Zannegan

Chrono Trigger is the greatest of all time, but I have no love for Cross.
Loved Pokemon growing up, but haven't played a mainline game through since... Platinum?
I guess my current favorite would have to be Xenoblade, or maybe Fire Emblem. Again though, I haven't played the latest in either series.

I just don't have time for JRPGs anymore. =(

ReyBrujo

Love the classic Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger (got Cross in my backlog) Mana (got Trials in my backlog). And now the Labyrinth of... dungeon crawlers series, put 300 hours in the second game and trying to finish the post-game with 100 hours in for the first game, haven't been so enthralled in quite a while.

Last edited:

Oof85

A new Chrono entry would make me buy whatever platform it's headed to without question. A new Tri-Ace title always gets a look too.

I loved DQM3J a ton over the winter. And I enjoyed 11 a bunch too. So DQ is in.

Pokemon will always be a buy, due to the new creature designs.

I'd have said Mana as well since I've enjoyed most but against the above three, it had to fold.

It's funny but I'd probably be more into FF if the look wasn't so glossy. I want more stylized characters, not life-like ones.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Souls dont count?

If not then Final Fantasy, i do like Suikoden, Fire Emblem and Persona/SMT but on average its Final Fantasy.
Not a fan of Xenoblade Chronicles, Dragon Quest, Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts, but they are not bad either.
I never touched Trails yet, so i dont know about it.
Chrono Trigger is great but Cross wasn't good.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Persona is not SMT

Except....IT IS

71Gx3aRMDdL.jpg

5295776-shin-megami-tensei-persona-4-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

71sDJoN9w0L.jpg

The deep lolz, fuck you going to tell me? You going to contact Atlus to let them know to fix this based on your high authority or?

lol trying to say its not based on 1 to many of is completely irrelevant. That is like saying if they ever come out with a Digital Devil Saga Part 3 and it doesn't show SMT, we are to see it as not part of that universe or something, its like....too fucking late bruv

Assassins Creed making some game and then DROPPING the Assassins' Creed title 18 games in is not going to have is give a shit, we will see it as AC based on what they've originally established as its sorta too late bud.

So grouping Persona into SMT, shiiiiiiiiiiiit might as well, they already did this for too long to now act as if that isn't a thing.

So OP did a good job, idgaf really lol

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Except....IT IS

71Gx3aRMDdL.jpg

5295776-shin-megami-tensei-persona-4-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

71sDJoN9w0L.jpg

The deep lolz, fuck you going to tell me? You going to contact Atlus to let them know to fix this based on your high authority or?

lol trying to say its not based on 1 to many of is completely irrelevant. That is like saying if they ever come out with a Digital Devil Saga Part 3 and it doesn't show SMT, we are to see it as not part of that universe or something, its like....too fucking late bruv

Assassins Creed making some game and then DROPPING the Assassins' Creed title 18 games in is not going to have is give a shit, we will see it as AC based on what they've originally established as its sorta too late bud.

So grouping Persona into SMT, shiiiiiiiiiiiit might as well, they already did this for too long to now act as if that isn't a thing.

So OP did a good job, idgaf really lol
It seems like you REALLY do give a f.

I like Square games (Mana, KH, FF), but most of those other series are more often miss than hits on me.
JRPGs are extremely hard to create, near-impossible to make really great, and no studio has yet to touch Squaresoft's past greatness.

I also did really appreciate Persona 5, but that's about the only SMT game I could enjoy, the rest not so much.

I disagree a bit. I've felt that Dragon Quest for one (from III onward) is leagues more consistent than practically any Squaresoft series.

Chrono Trigger is the greatest of all time, but I have no love for Cross.
Loved Pokemon growing up, but haven't played a mainline game through since... Platinum?
I guess my current favorite would have to be Xenoblade, or maybe Fire Emblem. Again though, I haven't played the latest in either series.

I just don't have time for JRPGs anymore. =(
Cross is hot garbage to me. It’s like 8 in Final Fantasy speak lol

Top Bottom