• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of nowhere, the full source code of Far Cry 1 just dropped on the Internet Archive

YuLY

Wish we would get more of these SP exotic sandbox games like Far Cry 1 and Crysis 1. Its annoying indies dont want to fill these voids in the market which AAA dont bother with anymore. For example we finally got an indie FEAR in Trepang, and its pretty good. Its annoying how indie devs insist with those boomer shooter super pixelated.

Like Jarek ze dragon said, I cant wait till we are passed that period and we get to HL2 and FEAR clones.

Imagine playing this right after half-life. The idea you can experience a very wide open level is quite unlike anything before. They just need to fix that omniscient AI at the highest difficulty to make this great.

hyperbertha

Wish we would get more of these SP exotic sandbox games like Far Cry 1 and Crysis 1. Its annoying indies dont want to fill these voids in the market which AAA dont bother with anymore. For example we finally got an indie FEAR in Trepang, and its pretty good. Its annoying how indie devs insist with those boomer shooter super pixelated.

Like Jarek ze dragon said, I cant wait till we are passed that period and we get to HL2 and FEAR clones.
Indies choose boomer shooters because they are much easier to develop. All there is to it.

I hope modders can use this to make the game work better on modern systems. It would also be amazing if they could integrate RTX Remix to the game. It would make it look gorgeous with all the foliage casting proper shadows.

Scotty W

Imagine playing this right after half-life. The idea you can experience a very wide open level is quite unlike anything before. They just need to fix that omniscient AI at the highest difficulty to make this great.
Why imagine when I can remember? I didn’t get to play HL until 2001, and then FC shortly thereafter. FC was incredible, but then, all horizons were expanding so fast back in that short period. Your comment about the ai is spot on, though. I could never get very far in this game due to time constraints and the ai. But then Half Life 2 and Doom 3 came out and I forgot all about FC.

HL3.exe

Loved FC1 as a teen. What a leap forward at the time.

Played it recently for nostalgia sake. It aged BADLY. player movement is cumbersome, AI is glitchy, the writing is absolutely hilarious. But I did have a Great trip down memory lane.

Curious what this source code leak will bring for the mod and preservation.

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I remember playing the demo and then buying the game, rarely did a game do that back in the day. For me a defining moment in gaming felt so open and free.

lockdown2222

Neo Member
I’m somewhat excited for this. Loved this game and have played it over and over since release. Would love true coop for this to play with friends.

spons

Gold Member
The moment you leave the island setting and go in Doom 3-like tunnels with those mutants is galling. I don't think I've ever finished the game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Dunno why is everyone always complaining about the difficulty in this game. The AI is absolutely brain-dead and I literally never had any trouble fighting mutants. I even played through that game again just a couple of months ago.

winjer

Gold Member
I loved playing this game back in the day. Although the part with the mutants was worse than the first half with the humans.
I re-played it last year, just for the nostalgia factor. Some f it's game mechanics are a bit dated, but it's still fun to play.
Maybe with the source code, some modders can make some sort of remake.

ZoukGalaxy

Maybe UBISOFT can download it and take a look how they used to make good games we liked ?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
This is the one where you fight the mutants right?

Not anymore.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom