• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opera's GX web browser for gamers, reaches 20 million monthly active users.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...peras-broader-gaming-expansion-301701615.html
Opera, the company behind the world's first gaming browser, announced today that Opera GX has surpassed 20 million monthly active users (MAU). This milestone highlights Opera GX's growing popularity among gamers and its successful and meaningful entry into gaming culture. With Opera GX, Gamemaker, and GX.games, Opera created a unique ecosystem that caters to the gaming community's needs and interests.

"Our focus on gaming - and specifically the Opera GX browser - is a key component in the continued strong growth and profitability of Opera," said Lin Song, Opera Co-CEO. "Our decision to pair our existing 320-plus million user base with products tailored to benefit specific segments has allowed us to successfully scale in high-ARPU markets and among attractive user groups."

Opera GX was first launched in 2019 with the goal of providing a unique browsing experience for gamers that solves their issues with resource-hungry browsers and provides them with a unique aesthetic that matches their tastes. But to become an embedded lifestyle choice for more than 20 million gamers, Opera GX had to offer more than just great utility - it had to really belong in the gaming ecosystem. That meant tapping into the spirit of gaming, which is channeled through the myriad of streamers and influencers that keep this culture alive. The browser has worked with more than 5,300 of them with more collaborations to come. In addition to its impressive user base growth, Opera GX has also seen strong engagement from its users who love it and engage with it in various ways: from its Discord server, which is one of the largest in the tech space, through its meme-centric Twitter account, to interacting with the browser at gaming conventions around the world. The average user spends approximately 8 hours each day with the browser open, indicating a high level of satisfaction and loyalty.

"We are thrilled to have passed the 20 million MAU milestone, and to have built an ecosystem loved by such a strong and dedicated community of gamers, with the vast majority being Gen Zers," said Krystian Kolondra, EVP of Browsers and Gaming at Opera. "Our current user base is as robust and engaged as when we started. The size of the opportunity is still massive: we are very excited about reaching more gamers in even more regions in the years to come - we're only getting started."

In the newest instance of successful collaborations at unprecedented scale for Opera, Opera GX partnered with TikTok in the #GamingforAll campaign centered around overcoming personal obstacles in gaming, which received more than 262 million views worldwide. Opera GX's activities also include "Hot Tab Hero", a TV-show format on the topic of gaming. Pilot episodes have been recorded in Poland, Germany, and Brazil, with new English-speaking formats to come.

I knew there was excitement for the interactivity and useful features with Operas gaming browser, as well as their adds attacking the lack of optimization of Edge and Chrome, but i didn't think that this Browser would end up getting so popular to gain 20 MAU.

They seem to be going after creators and streamers more who will likely show off the browser and get more people inboard. I'm actually surprised Google and and them haven't tried competing with a "gaming" web browser, especially given Googles continuing attempts to engage in the industry which has gotten mixed results so far. Considering Chrome is the most dominant browser you'd think they would have gaming version of Chrome or something, same with Microsoft with an "Xbox" browser perhaps.

marquimvfs

The renaming really needs to happen asap. They need to be clear which parts are owned by China now and which ones are not.
I guess the whole thing was sold to Baidu, am I wrong? Old (and good) opera team is now behind the Vivaldi browser. Just after the sale, Opera became shit. But, maybe they improved it now, or maybe "gamers" are suckers and use anything that is labeled "gamer".

PSYGN

Makes sense, I feel PC gamers tend to want to squeeze every bit of performance they can but a lot of PC gamers aren't really technically savvy and so for them this seems like something they need.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Firefox is the best.

red panda firefox GIF

nikos

Tried it a while back when I got tired of Chrome but ended up going with Firefox. Tempted to give it another shot to see if it has improved.

jaysius

Banned
Streamers are promoting the product, the hivemind runs pretty tightly with stream watchers.

Performance​

When it comes to web browser performance, it should display the results faster and consume fewer system resources. Browsing speed depends on many different factors. Some websites take more time to load, whereas, some load in less time. It also depends on the graphics quality of a website. If a website uses too many heavy images and heavy videos, it will take more time to load. Therefore, we tested the performance of both these browsers on the basis of system resource consumption.

We opened the same websites in 4 tabs in both of these browsers and noted that Google Chrome was consuming more CPU and DIsk but less RAM than Opera GX. Have a look:

• Google Chrome: 84% CPU, 83% Memory, and 41% Disk.
  • Opera GX: 12% CPU, 87% Memory, and 1% Disk.

Less CPU usage but MORE RAM usage than CHROME from Opera GX.

BrowserPriceLatestRelease dateOwned byCPU usageRAM usageBrowserAudit benchmarkSpeedometer benchmark
Opera GXFree86.0.4363.6418 May 2022Opera Software1 – 2.3 %740 MB368/400130 runs/minute
ChromeFree103.0.5060.6627 June 2022Google1.1 – 2.9 %1263 MB365/400126 runs/minute
FirefoxFree102.028 June 2022Mozilla Foundation1.4 – 2.3 %415 – 478 MB376/400117 runs/minute

Another site, different results, LESS RAM THAN CHROME, but still not as little as FIREFOX.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

I am installing this right now then.

I hate that while playing Destiny I have to have chrome open for using DIM which takes a lot of ram because Chrome.
also Google is making some changes in the browsers making adblockers impossible in 2023 so was high time switching back to Firefox or Opera anyway.

Drew1440

Lost interest in Opera after they dropped their Presto engine for Chromium.
Vivaldi is the spiritual successor, but even that's based on Chromium.

Fuz

Banned
I guess the whole thing was sold to Baidu, am I wrong? Old (and good) opera team is now behind the Vivaldi browser. Just after the sale, Opera became shit. But, maybe they improved it now, or maybe "gamers" are suckers and use anything that is labeled "gamer".
Ooooh that's why. I'm using a portable version of opera, a very old build, as a side browser. I went back to that old build because it became shit. Now I know the reason.

Shubh_C63

Its..alright. The dedicated gaming tab is pretty cool, shows release calendar platform wise.
The Youtube experience is worse with video pop out feature, the left side tab is pretty distracting and should be hideable.

... DIM which takes a lot of ram because Chrome.
also Google is making some changes in the browsers making adblockers impossible in 2023 so was high time switching back to Firefox or Opera anyway.
Opera is the "same" thing though.
Firefox is the last relevant true alternative after MS stopped Explorer and previous Edge
Safari is a relative to Chromium but another fork of webkit/khtml

But I guess performance between all the software using Blink might vary. So trying everything can't hurt.

Unknown?

By the way, chromium is shit and they're more and more forcing a closed architecture and fucking functionalities and addons.

Switch to Firefox.
The best version of Firefox no longer gets updated(Icecat) but Librewolf is still around and is basically Firefox with all of the settings optimized out of the box.

Chromium is junk, can't believe even Microsoft caved and started using it.

Fuz

Banned
The best version of Firefox no longer gets updated
If you knew my post history you would have know that... I don't give a shit :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I NEVER update anything without a good reason and without knowing what I'm about to do. In the case of Firefox, I also use an old version where my favourite addons still work. (I never used Icecat anyway)

In any case, it's STILL better than any chromium based browsers, which is increasingly becoming a social problem.

Last edited:

Demigod Mac

Is trying to squeeze ~384 MB RAM of savings from a web browser to allocate to a game still a thing for some people?
I upgraded to 48 GB back in 2015 and haven't looked back since. My browser could quadruple its memory usage and my system wouldn't even flinch.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i use edge. for some reason some weird shit actually happened with Firefox (IDK, it has something to do with Windows or my router probably) and now when i use it (or any non chromium browser) Google and Youtube slow to a FUCKING CRAWL. Comments don't load, videos require me to refresh the page before they even start playing, the site overall is neutered. In the case of Google, it just takes longer for the site to respond. seeing how i use those sites pretty much all of the time i pretty much had to jump there. It sucks too since firefox has better notifications but i hardly touch it these days, since Edge doesn't have these problems

sigmaZ

Once I went Opera GX I never went back. Love it. I can access Discord, Whatsapp and everything else right from the sidebar. It's also way faster than the other browsers.

Tams

Chinese owned Chromium clone, who pushed small loans with horrendous interest rates in poor countries. Then add on this 'gaming' bull.

Old Opera is gone. No independence anymore.

If you do want some of what it was, then the actual creators of Opera (well, now one half) have created Vivaldi. It's another Chromium clone, but at least it has some unique features and some originality. There are good built in privacy features, but they don't push them in a disingenious way like Brave and DuckDuckGo. Not Chinese owned either.

Other than being Chromium, they have jumped on Mastodon a bit too hard recently. Still a good browser for a Chromium one.

There is of course FireFox, and if you don't mind Chromium and want something really funky, Sleipnir exists.

Last edited:
Top Bottom