• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opera 10 Final(ly) Released: It Only Does Everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

malsumis

joshcryer said:
It will? I added the button with CustomButtons in 9.x: http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons

My whole menu bar is basically customized to my liking. I actually don't use the menu/navigation bar very often.
It should, unless you upgraded from v.9.x, then your toolbars will be in a different state. You need to reset it to defaults first. But not the tab bar. The bar just to the left of tab bar. Kinda hard to explain. (el fail grande, but...)

White Man said:
Just installed it on the Mac and opened it up. The first run page wouldn't load. I closed it and opened it again. It asked if I wanted it to be the default browser. I hit no. I loaded up the neogaf front page, and it loaded none of the css. Yep, this is Opera alright. I give em a shot on every major release, and I always end up going back, running and screaming, to the status quo.

I'm having similar issues to this on my Mac in 10.6 as well. WTF is up with this shit? Ran Opera 10 in Windows 7 via bootcamp with no problems but it barely loads a thing on the Mac side. It takes a couple of minutes to load youtube.com. NeoGAF took 3-4 minutes to load.

bard said:
Heh, I love the Firefox people who claim they "can't" use Opera because it doesn't do what their FF + 15 extensions do. Even though it does. By default. And it's still faster. :)

Opera loads pages slower than Firefox with the tweak network extension.
Opera won't let me download embedded FLV streams.
FF also has private browsing

There are lots of other things Opera doesn't do that Firefox does.

My FF extensions are
AnyColor
Personas
IE Tab
Download Helper
SkipScreen
Download Statusbar
DownloadThemAll
Gmail Manager
Update Notifier
Tweak Network
Flashblock
NoSquint

I think Opera has the most usable stuff out of the box than any browser and it is certainly faster than FF out of the box. However, if you do some searching and know what to download you can make FF faster and more usable than any browser on the market.

yoopoo

Banned
New build: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/09/04/10-10-with-unite

Changelog

User Interface
Substantially reduced the memory usage and startup time of Opera's history
Link: Work on checking if there is outstanding data to sync before doing the exit sync
Added middle click and double click to close tabs
Crash fixes, including in the Windows panel
Fixed Bug DSK-119010 (Opera doesn't allow access to longdesc="..." URLs)
Fixed Bug DSK-262131 (Panel bar open by default when starting Opera for the first time)
Fixed Bug DSK-262908 (Can't distinguish normal tabs from tabs that need attention in the page cycler)
Fixed Bug DSK-257203 (Strings don't fit in mail account properties dialog)
Fixed Bug DSK-261130 (Strings don't fit in Account Properties > Outgoing dialog [ru])
Fixed Bug DSK-261135 (Strings don't fit in Message Filters dialog [ru])
Fixed Bug DSK-263283 (Configure Speed Dial can crash Opera)
Fixed Bug DSK-263527 (No "Open With" in transfer manager)

Core
Fixed Bug DSK-251118 (URL crash)

Opera Mail/Chat
Added automatic re-joining of channels in chat (will try a maximum of 20 times to the server and then the channels)
4 weeks before a new consistency check
Don't schedule a database check when creating the account, but after the 4 weeks after that
Leak fixes, including leak on attachment adding failure
Fixed Bug DSK-261733 (From is missing on some e-mails in M2): Email address corruption when no space after quote or name
Fixed Bug DSK-239575 (Zoom box in e-mail compose page is broken)
Fixed Bug DSK-262732 (Mail header images appear under the mail toolbar buttons)

Opera Unite
Fixed Bug CORE-21620 (Unite crash)
Aditional fix for Bug DSK-255935 (Upgrade from non-Unite to Unite build does not add Unite status icon): Changing version numbers to check toolbar upgrade up until 10.10
Upload service list when (re-)connecting to the proxy. Adjust to send max every 30 seconds if problems when connecting to the proxy
Fixes for Bug DSK-261243 (UPnP requests even though Unite and service discovery is turned off)
Fixed Bug DSK-261689 (Opera doesn't connect to proxy if the router doesn't respond to UPnP M-SEARCH)
Fixed Bug DSK-261871 (Home service opened before installed service is configured)
Fixed Bug DSK-262772 ("Add new service" goes to unite.opera.com instead of unite.opera.com/services)

BitTorrent
Fix for non-cached BitTorrent meta file
Fix for modal/blocking dialogs for torrents
Fix for utf-8 encoded name and paths, also assume utf-8 encoding of all strings in accordance to latest BitTorrent specification

Windows
Fixed version information copyright string
Menu fixes: Use the system menu height setting for the menus. Use the system menu highlight color blended 20% with the background for the selected menu items. Add some more space for the icons on the left and right. Let the separator in menus start under the text instead of under the icons
Fixed Bug DSK-193359 (Buttons on the Block content toolbar get displaced in Windows Native skin)
Fixed Bug DSK-254648 (Crash with certain Chinese IMEs)
Fixed Bug DSK-260498 (The list of closed tabs needs clicks to be shown)
Fixed Bug DSK-262357 (Crash related to Unite icon in Windows tray)
Fixed Bug DSK-263425 (Upgrading single-user install of Opera with no reference in registry causes problems)

Unix
Fixed bugs related to JavaScript executed by plugins
Improved chat system tray indication looks (Qt3)
Make all script execution from plugins on unix synchronous, testing ns4plugins tweak
Fixed Bug DSK-262813 (Buttons offset in "Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Content")
Fixed Bug DSK-262938 (Missing app icon for Opera in Gnome panel and Applications/Internet/Opera): Fixed the SVG icon to be more compatible
Partially fixed Bug DSK-212990 (Swfdec doesn't work)
Fixed Bug DSK-262820 (Downloaded files with spaces are not opened): Added support for quoted arguments
Fixed Bug DSK-262906 (Not possible to close widget from the task bar)
Fixed Bug DSK-263684 (KDE not detected in KDE4): + Cleanup
Fixed Bug DSK-263680 (Opera doesn't start on Mandriva)

Mac
Fixed version information copyright string
Enabled plugin JavaScript tweak for direct execution

malsumis

MidgarBlowedUp said:
My FF extensions are
AnyColor - It's been in Opera since stone age
Personas - an extension for installing skins? seriosly?
IE Tab RMB -> open with
Download Helper - http://widgets.opera.com/widget/9402/
SkipScreen - doable with UserJS, apparently nobody did it yet.
Download Statusbar - downloads panel
DownloadThemAll -Links panel
Gmail Manager - Opera mail or the widget I pasted a few posts ago
Update Notifier - lol, k
Tweak Network - although you can tweak this in Opera, it is stupid and harmful and sometimes servers can ban you for too much connections at once. Advanced preferences -> network
Flashblock - Content blocker, http://my.opera.com/Lex1/blog/flashblock-for-opera-9, Turbo function
NoSquint - You can only set global zoom level in Opera

also, check this out:

http://my.opera.com/Nplus/blog/2009/09/01/opera-for-wii-is-free-again

Apparently Opera-Wii is going free again. Maybe this should go into the gaming section?

glistenm

Banned
Is anyone else having issues with sites randomly not rendering properly?

Like facebook, or demonoid. It'll load up like the code is broken to shit. Then ten minutes later they'll load fine.

This didn't happen with 10 beta, or 10 rc, just the final.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
glistenm said:
Is anyone else having issues with sites randomly not rendering properly?

Like facebook, or demonoid. It'll load up like the code is broken to shit. Then ten minutes later they'll load fine.

This didn't happen with 10 beta, or 10 rc, just the final.

The latest version of Facebook hasn't agreed with Opera in general, the beta and RC.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
malsumis said:
Opera 10 launch went quite good apparently. Within a week from release it got a whopping 10 million downloads.

http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2009/09/08_2/

I contributed at least three of those myself (counting Opera@USB). :D Any possibly more if you add in people who clicked through this thread.

I think Opera 10.10 with Unite is when we're gonna see an even more serious uptake.

EGM92

Anyone else having problems with flash and Opera? When watching stuff in HD or higher resolutions than standard youtube stuff it becomes choppy like a mofo! In the beta I didn't have this problem. Anyone know what's wrong? any improvements I could make to the config to change/optimize it?

Thanks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EGM92 said:
Anyone else having problems with flash and Opera? When watching stuff in HD or higher resolutions than standard youtube stuff it becomes choppy like a mofo! In the beta I didn't have this problem. Anyone know what's wrong? any improvements I could make to the config to change/optimize it?

Thanks.

What OS?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
EGM92 said:
Win 7 x64 RTM

That is odd. Can't say I've noticed any problems on Vista. I'll have to trudge up some HD videos now... or maybe tomorrow...

For now I'd say, perhaps update Flash if you can?

EGM92

Andrex said:
That is odd. Can't say I've noticed any problems on Vista. I'll have to trudge up some HD videos now... or maybe tomorrow...

For now I'd say, perhaps update Flash if you can?

I grabbed the Non-IE Flash and installed it, Flash videos on Gametrailers are a little better but still lagging badly, audio is perfectly fine.

EGM92 said:

Thanks.

Win 7 x64 here too but no problem with flash.

MrHicks

Banned
how the hell do i export my passwords in opera?
lets say i wanna make a backup of them for a reformat?

why do basic features like this have to be so hard
theres 2 things that are super important

1)having a bookmarks file
2)having a username/password file

firefox has a simple "password exporter/importer" feature and i cant find the opera equivalent

malsumis

MrHicks said:
how the hell do i export my passwords in opera?
lets say i wanna make a backup of them for a reformat?

why do basic features like this have to be so hard
theres 2 things that are super important

1)having a bookmarks file
2)having a username/password file

firefox has a simple "password exporter/importer" feature and i cant find the opera equivalent
For passwords backup your wand.dat (location specified in opera:about)

For bookmarks and shit go to file -> synchronize Opera.

jett

D-Member
I really liked Opera before 10...but now I think I'm starting to hate it! :/ It has introduced much more compatibility issues and bugs.

Also, when I look at the downloads window for some reason my downloading speed plummets, that and my PC/Opera slows down noticeably. What is that all about? :p

I'm also having issues when watching HD flash videos in full-screen or when manually zooming in, an issue I never had before. I wish I hadn't updated to this shit. Maybe I'll just try Chrome again.

jett said:
I really liked Opera before 10...but now I think I'm starting to hate it! :/ It has introduced much more compatibility issues and bugs.

Also, when I look at the downloads window for some reason my downloading speed plummets, that and my PC/Opera slows down noticeably. What is that all about? :p

I'm also having issues when watching HD flash videos in full-screen or when manually zooming in, an issue I never had before. I wish I hadn't updated to this shit. Maybe I'll just try Chrome again.
I don't know what to tell you. Works better for me.

jett said:

So downgrade and quit complaining.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The only problem with Opera 10 that I have, and have been having since the alpha period, is that after leaving it going for a day or more, sometimes it fails to load certain image types, or the file upload dialog box never appears, stuff like that. When I right click, and go to "Open with..." the one or more of the normal icons for other browsers is either replaced or disappeared. As each icon disappears, things gradually degrade until I end up closing and reopening Opera, which always fixes it. Since last December and the alpha period, this has to have happened to me more than 25 times.

Other than that semi-rare annoyance, Opera 10 has been fantastic for me, especially with Opera Link keeping everything sync'd between my home desktop and college (Opera@USB) installations. Definitely the best Opera yet, but using iGoogle, I do wish the Javascript engine was faster. Can't wait for 10.10 with Carakan and Unite. :D

malsumis

Andrex said:
The only problem with Opera 10 that I have, and have been having since the alpha period, is that after leaving it going for a day or more, sometimes it fails to load certain image types, or the file upload dialog box never appears, stuff like that. When I right click, and go to "Open with..." the one or more of the normal icons for other browsers is either replaced or disappeared. As each icon disappears, things gradually degrade until I end up closing and reopening Opera, which always fixes it. Since last December and the alpha period, this has to have happened to me more than 25 times.

Other than that semi-rare annoyance, Opera 10 has been fantastic for me, especially with Opera Link keeping everything sync'd between my home desktop and college (Opera@USB) installations. Definitely the best Opera yet, but using iGoogle, I do wish the Javascript engine was faster. Can't wait for 10.10 with Carakan and Unite. :D
Hm? Though Carakan would be due a later release.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
malsumis said:
Hm? Though Carakan would be due a later release.

Hrm, I heard from some non-Opera sources it would be in 10.10, but that was probably speculation. Even though they announced it way back in February (with work going on for a while before that, even), they're still not talking about it much... so I guess that's up in the air too. But I still can't wait for 10.10, and I still can't wait for Carakan. :lol

chrislowe

Im not sure.. but i think IE8 is much faster on my computer. There is some strange delay when open pages.
and i dont like when choosing "open in new tab", makes it change to the new tab automaticly.

malsumis

chrislowe said:
Im not sure.. but i think IE8 is much faster on my computer. There is some strange delay when open pages.
and i dont like when choosing "open in new tab", makes it change to the new tab automaticly.
Hold shift or middle click(use the button under scroll wheel), or just plainly select "Open in background tab".

hiro4

Anyone else has problems with Opera 10, OSX and google?
Google won't load anymore for me on Opera 10 on my Mac (no problems on my windows pc)
haven't found a solution, so i'm kinda using bing now.
Pretty good search btw :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
hiro4 said:
Anyone else has problems with Opera 10, OSX and google?
Google won't load anymore for me on Opera 10 on my Mac (no problems on my windows pc)
haven't found a solution, so i'm kinda using bing now.
Pretty good search btw :lol

NOOOOOO

clav

Just started playing around with this today.

Finally got it the way I liked it. Disabled the menu bar. Reordered tabs in order as they appear. Learned about the shortcut search engine letters. Switched to Windows Classic theme.

Built-in mouse gestures feature is nice.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
claviertekky said:
Just started playing around with this today.

Finally got it the way I liked it. Disabled the menu bar. Reordered tabs in order as they appear. Learned about the shortcut search engine letters. Switched to Windows Classic theme.

Built-in mouse gestures feature is nice.

Indeed, it does take a little individual tweaking for everybody in order to get it 100% agreeable to them. I wouldn't say my Opera UI is completely different from the standard one, it does use the same skin, but customizing the UI is the first thing I do with a new Opera install. Too much space is wasted with the default.

It helps the process is pretty seamless, though it could be smoother.

clav

Andrex said:
Indeed, it does take a little individual tweaking for everybody in order to get it 100% agreeable to them. I wouldn't say my Opera UI is completely different from the standard one, it does use the same skin, but customizing the UI is the first thing I do with a new Opera install. Too much space is wasted with the default.

It helps the process is pretty seamless, though it could be smoother.
Hm. Although snappy, the Opera search bar doesn't seem to find pages by titles.

I was trying to find this thread again through the address bar, but it doesn't seem to find it for some reason.

Is there a way to search like it does in Firefox?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
claviertekky said:
Hm. Although snappy, the Opera search bar doesn't seem to find pages by titles.

I was trying to find this thread again through the address bar, but it doesn't seem to find it for some reason.

Is there a way to search like it does in Firefox?

Enable searching through the content of the pages, I think.

Ctrl + F12 -> Advanced -> History -> Remember the content on visited pages

sca2511

is there a way to make Opera appear more minimalistic or have more viewable space? It's the only reason that always brings me back to FF/Chrome.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
sca2511 said:
is there a way to make Opera appear more minimalistic or have more viewable space? It's the only reason that always brings me back to FF/Chrome.

Right click on the buttons -> Customize. Go back a page or two to see my highly minimalistic version (no tabs, even!).

pj

Banned
Can you make the address bar work as it does in safari? Like, as you're typing, it will guess where you want to go and fill in the address so you just hit enter and go, instead of using the arrow keys to pick the right site?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
sca2511 said:

File -> Show Menu Bar

I absolutely love Chrome's UI mimimalization, but I don't really like the rest of the UI just yet.

Personally, since I use "continue from last time," I replaced the home button with the Bookmarks button. I also removed that weird button they put in the tab bar when you hide the menu bar, and the "tab trash can." Now I'm pretty much all set.

OperaMinimal01.png

OperaMinimal02.png

For some reason I really prefer panels on the right side. Heh. Having one-click access to my site's chat box is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom