• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opera 10 Final(ly) Released: It Only Does Everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Download it Now!

New Features Features Features!
  • New User Interface! Find out why critics are raving about the ultra-intuitive UI created by none other than esteemed web designer Jon Hicks!
  • Visual Tabs! Simply drag down the lower tab bar for quick and easy glances at thumbnails of all your open tabs!
  • Need For Speed! The new Opera rendering engine Presto 2.2 is over 40% faster than the previous version, Opera 9.64!
  • Opera Turbo for Losers on 56k! Expanding on the previous bullet, Opera Turbo is now built-into the desktop Opera client! After debuting on Opera Mini and Mobile years ago, this specialized compression technology clears the clutter from the source of web pages to significantly reduce bandwidth!
  • Turbo-Charged Standards Support! Opera was the first non-nightly browser to ace Acid3 with 100/100! Key supported CSS3 features include Web Fonts (serif/sans-serif font dichotomy be gone!), RGBA colors (translucency, thy name is Opera!), and SVG improvements (**** just got real!!)
  • Spell Check! Find out why websites are saying Opera 10's spell check is "the best spell checker [ever] seen in a browser"!
  • Auto-Update and Crash Reporting in the House! HOLY **** IT'S AUTO-UPDATE! What's that? Those other browsers had these first? Nonsense! Even if they did, they're welcome and vast improvements to Opera.
  • Developer Tools Got a Kick in the Pants! Opera Dragonfly has evolved to become the absolute gold standard for DOM inspection and source editing!
  • Resizable Search Field! True web innovation, by Opera™.

Plus the Opera Greatness You Know and Love!
  • Speed Dial! Now you can customize the background and the number of pages shown, from 4 to 25! And if you're a tinkerer, you can even customize the thumbnails with different translucencies and icons like these guys! (Speed Dial in Opera is a quick way to view pages you designate for it when you open a new tab. You can also hit Ctrl+1 through 9 to immediately jump to that speed dial's page from anywhere! Unlike the copy-cats, these pages must be set by you and aren't necessarily you're most recently-viewed pages; this way, things won't be changing around when you don't want them to, and you can grow used to a specific layout for maximized efficiency!)
  • Opera Link! Opera still has the magic you need to synchronize your bookmarks, panels, history, and more across multiple installations of Opera, even the mobile versions!
  • Super Configurable User-Interface! Hundreds of quality skins exist in the themes directory, plus you can completely customize the interface from buttons, to toolbars, to keyboard shortcuts, and more!
  • Page Loaded Indicator! Now simply altered to a blue dot to the upper right of each tab, this small indication of fresh content will keep you begging for more!
  • It only does everything! It's an RSS reader! No, it's an HTML mail composer! No, it's a BitTorrent client! No, it's an IRC client! Actually, it's all of the above! Opera does everything you could want, out of the box and without the bloat!
  • Radically Simple Custom Search! Ever want to search NeoGAF or any other site through Google quickly and easily? You can! Just follow my instructions, and you'll be typing "n Tranny Surprise" in no time!
  • Feed Preview! Clicking through to a .rss or .xml RSS file, or clicking on the handy dandy
    favicon_rss.png
    on the right side of the address bar, takes you to a fully-featured, clean, and slick preview page of that web feed! No more will you have to look at garbled XML code as you scramble to hit "Subscribe"!
  • Mouse Gestures! Now Opera standard for years, Opera still boasts the most comprehensive mouse gestures of any browser ever!
  • User Styles and Scripts! Opera may not be bloated down with extensions, but it does offer a powerful alternative! An example includes a script for Chrome-like text box resizing!
  • Undo Close Tab + Paste and Go! With a simple edit of the default keyboard shortcuts, you'll be Ctrl+Z-ing and Ctrl+B-ing your way through the previously lame tasks of undoing the closing of a tab and pasting plus going!
  • View Source -> Apply Changes! Hit up the View Source option on any web page and edit to your heart's content (leave the page's tab open too!) Then hit Apply Changes and all your edits will be near-instantly available!
  • Tab Lock! Right click on an open tab and hit "Lock Tab", this will prevent you from accidentally closing it in a fit of Opera-induced ecstasy! Severely handy for important reports or long, long official posts that would put BruceLeeRoy to shame!
  • Web Panels! Turn any bookmark into a web panel, which lets you pop it out on either side of Opera and then hide it again with a single click for quick and speedy updates! Recommendations would be mobile versions of Facebook, Twitter, and email, or even an embedded shoutbox to one of your favorite sites!
  • Write Once, Validate Everywhere! Opera has a built-in shortcut for uploading the current page to the W3C validator! Find out which web developers suck and are lazy!
  • Reload Every...! Instead of F5-ing NeoGAF and liveblogs all day long, Opera provides an alternative to making those wonderful 503 errors pop up! Simply right click any non-interactive part of a page and hit up "Reload Every...", then set the time interval!
  • Built-in Translate! Featuring 19 items to cross-translate English, French, German, Italian, Portugese, Spanish, and Japanese! Just highlight any text on a page, then right click!
  • Go To Web Address! Doesn't it annoy you when some pages don't link text that is obviously a hyperlink? Well it also seemed to have annoyed Opera too, which is why you can highlight anything that looks like a link, right click it, and hit "Go To Web Address" to jump to it!
  • Rewind and Fast Forward! Rewind is the |← icon that when pressed takes you back to the first page ever opened in the tab! Usually, this means speed dial. Fast Forward on the other hand is the →| icon jumps one page forward by trying to predict which page should be next! It also works if you go to the bottom of a page and press the space bar! This comes in handy for pages with URLs like "&page=1, &page=2, etc."!
  • Built-in Local and FTP File Explorers! Be glad you're not one of the glassy-eyed peons who have to open separate programs to do these things! Download from game companies' official FTP servers to your heart's content!
  • Drag and Drop Tabs and Windows! Even though another browser had a whole comic strip dedicated to this feature, it has actually long been standard in Opera! Which shouldn't surprise you if you actually know anything about the history of browsers!
  • Sessions! Save all your currently open tabs as a "session", then reopen them anytime through File -> Sessions! You can even synchronize them between computers!
  • The Wand! While other browsers may boast password managers, Opera's is clearly the best. After a quick filling in of your basic info, you can add account after account to the Wand. Then when the cookies for those pages expire, you simply go to the login form (which will have a yellow outline on elements), and hit Ctrl + Enter. Then, everything is filled in for you and you're taken to the next page straight away!

Behold! I Have Sent a Savior!
Opera10Neogaf03-1.png

http://www.opera.com/

Mooreberg

The only browser this beats on my Windows computer for javascript is IE8. They should switch to Webkit if they want to retain the "speed" claim...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Mooreberg said:
The only browser this beats on my Windows computer for javascript is IE8. They should switch to Webkit if they want to retain the "speed" claim...

Have you given 10 a whirl?

And as I said in the Beta thread, JS isn't particularly Opera's strong suit and it does need to catch up a little. But in terms of UI and page rendering, Opera is blazing.

santouras

Rapping Granny said:
Opera 10 > Every other browser.
pretty much. I've been an opera fanboy for years now and no other browser matches it for a combination of speed/features/usability, especially the last one.

As someone who sometimes opens tons of tabs at once, I love the page loaded indicator.

I also love the view source -> apply changes. I don't know if that feature was in old Operas, but I love it a lot here.

Fireblend

Banned
I like how the Linux version weighs nothing. Anyway, is xmarks or some other, similar plugin/add-on available for Opera yet? Will check this out, as impossible as it is for me to imagine a better browser than Firefox (yes, mine doesn't crash and has no memory leaks, it's like Firefox jesus).

Alx

Will install at once...
I'm a fervent Opera user, but I'm still annoyed that some web applications don't work right with it ; I've had troubles with gmail (didn't take into acount line spaces) and google Agenda (couldn't edit an event time). I hope that it works better now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fireblend said:
I like how the Linux version weighs nothing. Anyway, is xmarks or some other, similar plugin/add-on available for Opera yet? Will check this out, as impossible as it is for me to imagine a better browser than Firefox (yes, mine doesn't crash and has no memory leaks, it's like Firefox jesus).

Opera Link? Mentioned in the OP?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question, why does no browser except Firefox (and sometimes IE) support HTML bars on forums like Xbox.com? I would like to try out Chrome, Opera, or Safari but none support the HTML bar.

malsumis

Mooreberg said:
Tell this to safari users whose "incredibly fast browser" is brought down by a few animated gifs.

Or better yet, try to display a really big table, and then inserting or removing rows from it. Opera does this and a lot more without a single hitch, yet all the(especially the one starting with "F") "fast" browsers with new js engines cant do in a reasonable time.

Fireblend said:
Try out Opera Link. File -> Synchronize Opera IIRC.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Question, why does no browser except Firefox (and sometimes IE) support HTML bars on forums like Xbox.com? I would like to try out Chrome, Opera, or Safari but none support the HTML bar.
Post a screenshot showing the difference. I tried IE8(don't have FF installed) on that site and it renders identical to Opera.

Andrex said:
Rewind and Fast Forward! Rewind is the |← icon that when pressed takes you back to the first page ever opened in the tab! Usually, this means speed dial. Fast Forward on the other hand is the →| icon jumps one page forward by trying to predict which page should be next! It also works if you go to the bottom of a page and press the space bar! This comes in handy for pages with URLs like "&page=1, &page=2, etc."
Rewind takes you, usually, to the TLD, or to the root of the site. Say you navigate to neogaf.com/forum then you browse some topics, and then hit Rewind. You will be taken to document root, where you started: neogaf.com/forum

Radically Simple Custom Search! Ever want to search NeoGAF or any other site through Google quickly and easily? You can! Just follow my instructions, and you'll be typing "n Tranny Surprise" in no time!
This is even simpler. Just go to any website, RightClick on a search field and select "Create Search". Enter a keyword, click "OK", you're set. No need to enter stupid uri's.

Alx said:
Will install at once...
I'm a fervent Opera user, but I'm still annoyed that some web applications don't work right with it ; I've had troubles with gmail (didn't take into acount line spaces) and google Agenda (couldn't edit an event time). I hope that it works better now.

The one and only thing I don't like about Opera. I wonder if it is fixed now. If it is a problem on Google's end, then Opera probably wouldn't fix it.

When writing emails in Opera, I use periods in double spaced lines.

My only wish is that Opera were more popular, because many don't support it, and they try to make you use Firefox.

santouras

Why would you do that? said:
My only wish is that Opera were more popular, because many don't support it, and they try to make you use Firefox.
My wish is that people stop judging opera on the one experience they had with it back in the opera 5 days.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Andrex said:
File -> Show Menu

Unless you want something else.
malsumis said:
File -> Show menu bar ?
No I meant the thing all the way at the top thats says the title of the page like "Off Topic Discussion - NeoGAF" someone had made some kind of workaround so it wouldn't show on Opera 9. Ah well.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
malsumis said:
Post a screenshot showing the difference. I tried IE8(don't have FF installed) on that site and it renders identical to Opera.

Crappy computer and Apple keyboard (with XP) = no Print screen button. I would download software but ,y computer is so old it may die.

The bar shows up in Firefox, it allows you to change font, size, color, etc. It doesn't show up in any other browser except earlier IE.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I like that it blocks flash ads :D

I'm still trying to figure out how to do the tab preview of all open tabs. I've been using the same settings since Opera 8 so idk. I can see the thumbnail previews if I hover over each tab but that's not new!

oh n/m I see the bar under the tabs. I have like 34 tabs open so that doesn't help any.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
malsumis said:
Rewind takes you, usually, to the TLD, or to the root of the site. Say you navigate to neogaf.com/forum then you browse some topics, and then hit Rewind. You will be taken to document root, where you started: neogaf.com/forum

Did not know that. I don't usually use RW/FF much to be honest...

malsumis said:
This is even simpler. Just go to any website, RightClick on a search field and select "Create Search". Enter a keyword, click "OK", you're set. No need to enter stupid uri's.

OSHI

Good job man. That's why I start these threads, you always learn something new.
ThumbsUp01.gif
And the massive ego stroking. <3

Krowley

God, it runs so much better than firefox. I still need to run Firefox for certain situations due to a few particular plugins, but this is leagues better and I think I'll use it most of the time.

malsumis

Deadly Cyclone said:
Crappy computer and Apple keyboard (with XP) = no Print screen button. I would download software but ,y computer is so old it may die.

The bar shows up in Firefox, it allows you to change font, size, color, etc. It doesn't show up in any other browser except earlier IE.
In what context? You mean like when you edit a forum post?

santouras

Andrex said:
Did not know that. I don't usually use RW/FF much to be honest...
RW/FF is fantastic for navigating through sequential photo's in galleries as it usually picks up the next most logical link

Andrex said:
OSHI

Good job man. That's why I start these threads, you always learn something new.
ThumbsUp01.gif
And the massive ego stroking. <3
I use this all the time :) My current search shortcut list...

g = Google
ga = Google Australia
n = Google News
i = Google Images
w = Wiki
y = youtube
e = ebay
p = photobucket
t = tinypic
b = Bing

It's so hard to use another browser when you can't use shortcuts for search

tokkun

I would like to try these newer browsers, but I'm just too invested in my firefox add-ons.

Greasemonkey + Greasefire
AdBlock Plus
XMarks
FoxyProxy
DownThemAll
QuickDrag
ReminderFox
PDF Download
Various Image Uploaders
...and the list goes on

Foob

just downloaded this for mac

renders painfully slow compared to safari 4

holla achoo later opera 10

santouras

tokkun said:
I would like to try these newer browsers, but I'm just too invested in my firefox add-ons.

Greasemonkey + Greasefire - opera has UserJS which I believe is similar. I think some GM scripts are possibly interchangable?
AdBlock Plus - Opera has had content blocking for a while
XMarks - Opera Link is builtin and syncs bookmarks and a host of other things
FoxyProxy
DownThemAll
QuickDrag - not sure about this, but possibly in there
ReminderFox - There are widgets that will do this
PDF Download
Various Image Uploaders
...and the list goes on
I'm sure if you did a bit of searching you'd find answers to most of your needs

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://www.opera.com/

It's up on Opera's site!

Opera 10
with Turbo

Opera 10 showcases a sleek new design coupled with our new Turbo technology, which keeps Web pages loading lightning fast, even if your connection slows down. Download Opera 10 and experience the difference.

http://www.opera.com/browser/

img-opera10-screenshot.png

• Exclusive Opera Turbo compression boosts slow connection speeds
  • Innovative visual tabs displays Web sites in thumbnails
  • Intuitive, sleek design
  • Easy-to-personalize Speed Dial visual bookmarks
  • Everything built-in, no need for extensions
  • It's free!

...between the new features and the UI redesign, Opera 10 for the Mac looks to be yet another strong contender for my browsing time.

Rob Griffiths, Macworld, June 3, 2009

This reminded me I left two features out of the OP: the Wand, and Sessions! How could I forget sessions?

Mooreberg

Andrex said:

And as I said in the Beta thread, JS isn't particularly Opera's strong suit and it does need to catch up a little. But in terms of UI and page rendering, Opera is blazing.

Yeah I have been using build 1733. It's good, it is just between having Firefox for extensions and Chrome for web apps, I don't have a ton of use for a third browser. I might give it a try on Linux if Ubuntu isn't as slow as usual to get it in the 8.04 repositories.

tenritsu

Banned
Andrex said:

OH DAMN I forgot it came out today... Thought it was the 7th or w.e :lol

Apparently the newest JS engine is quite kicking. Unfortunately, it's not in the current 10 release yet. But yea, Opera is my favorite browser (using it now in fact) so I'm definitely upgrading.

White Man

Just installed it on the Mac and opened it up. The first run page wouldn't load. I closed it and opened it again. It asked if I wanted it to be the default browser. I hit no. I loaded up the neogaf front page, and it loaded none of the css. Yep, this is Opera alright. I give em a shot on every major release, and I always end up going back, running and screaming, to the status quo.

Vard

Weird, I have Opera v9.64 and it hasn't prompted me for an update. I just did a 'Check for Updates' and it still didn't pick it up. Hmm. I'll download 10 later.

malsumis

Deadly Cylcone, if you go to xbox.com, tell the site that you are using Firefox, instead Opera. To do this, simply right click anywhere on the site, that is not an image or a link, and select "Site Preferences", then go to "Network tab" and select "Identify as Firefox" and refresh the site. You'll have the rich edit box.

What the site is doing is basically disallowing every browser to use the features the site it thinks they do not support, yet the site is wrong. This is a common case with Opera, most sites that do not work, or lack features can be fixed like this.

White Man said:
Just installed it on the Mac and opened it up. The first run page wouldn't load. I closed it and opened it again. It asked if I wanted it to be the default browser. I hit no. I loaded up the neogaf front page, and it loaded none of the css. Yep, this is Opera alright. I give em a shot on every major release, and I always end up going back, running and screaming, to the status quo.
Never,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever,ever Opera did that to me on any Mac/PC I've been using. That's some strange issue with you, or you just accidentally hit the shortcut for "User Mode" css, which allows you to style other people webpages. It's shift-G, FYI.

tokkun said:
Greasemonkey + Greasefire - UserJS, even compatible with GM scripts
AdBlock Plus = Let me google that for you
XMarks - Opera Link
FoxyProxy - just create a PAC file by hand, it's really easy.
DownThemAll - Opera "Links" panel. Does exactly this.
QuickDrag - instead of dragging, right-click.
ReminderFox - just use a widget interface for google calendar
PDF Download - I dunno, whenever I want to download a PDF I just hit "save" from the file menu. Didn't know that you need an extension for this. If you really want it there is a bookmarklet for every function of this tool on the extension website. Just google it.
Various Image Uploaders - go to the site or just make a web panel

Bleepey

Opera is the shit and it feels so light, the only problem is that some sites don't support it so i occaisionally have to use Firefox.

IcedTea

santouras said:
It's so hard to use another browser when you can't use shortcuts for search
You can do this in Firefox too. Right click the bookmark and go to properties. To use Wikipedia as an example,

Change the location to 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%s'
Change the keyword to whatever you want - lets say 'w'

once you do that, typing 'w NeoGAF' into the address bar will bring you to 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeoGAF'.

santouras

IcedTea said:
You can do this in Firefox too. Right click the bookmark and go to properties. To use Wikipedia as an example,

Change the location to 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%s'
Change the keyword to whatever you want - lets say 'w'

once you do that, typing 'w NeoGAF' into the address bar will bring you to 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeoGAF'.
nice, thanks for that :)

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
While I admire Opera for usually trying to innovate, and I do root for them to a degree, nothing here looks cutting edge at all, and they're sorely lacking in other areas...

I'll try it out for kicks but I'm not expecting much.

IcedTea

Since I'm here, there are 4 things that I really love Firefox for. I almost switched after using Firefox 3.5 but I had a hard time living without this stuff. 3.6 is so snappy that I don't think it is necessary anymore, but Opera is still a bit more lightweight.

1) Auto Pager. Anything like this for Opera?

2) Gmail notifier. I have several gmail accounts and it is handy to be able to track them all without having to log in and stuff. Any solutions to track multiple gmail accounts at once?

3) Stylish/Greasemonkey. I know that you can define custom stylesheets per site and there is a UserJS file you can change that is mostly compatible with greasemonkey, but I tweak stuff all the time. Is it possible to install/edit custom JS and CSS files inside of the browser with a few clicks, or do you have to manually edit and reload outside files or restart the browser every time? I remember having to browse the browser's install folder, find one random file to open, edit it inside a text editor, save, restart the browser, reload the page to check the tweak, repeat x1000 back in the firefox 1.0 days. Not fun.

4) Bugmenot and Trashmail. Any way to integrate these with the browser at all? Being able to create throwaway email accounts when registering for stuff, or just using a trash login and not having to register just to view one random article or forum post or whatever is so nice.

DogWelder

I will download it and test it out, I'm always open to new browsing experiences. But I will only switch away from Chrome if another browser steals its perfect auto-complete implementation as well as the most visited thumbnails on new tabs. Best browser features since tabbed browsing.

Alx

IcedTea said:
2) Gmail notifier. I have several gmail accounts and it is handy to be able to track them all without having to log in and stuff. Any solutions to track multiple gmail accounts at once?

I don't know if it's what you're looking for, but the built-in email client is perfect to gather your mail from several accounts. Actually it's the main reason I went from Netscape to Opera at the time (I was too used to have both functions in the same application).

To be honest I've been having troubles to synchronize everything since I also linked my blackberry to the gmail accounts, it keeps "stealing" the mails and Opera can't get all of them. But it must be a configuration problem on my gmail account...

Antagon

esc said:
I will download it and test it out, I'm always open to new browsing experiences. But I will only switch away from Chrome if another browser steals its perfect auto-complete implementation as well as the most visited thumbnails on new tabs. Best browser features since tabbed browsing.

You know that Chrome took the idea of thumbnails on tabs from Opera, right? Only difference is taht Chrome automatically fills it with the most visited sites while in Opera you have to fill them by hand.

santouras

Antagon said:
You know that Chrome took the idea of thumbnails on tabs from Opera, right? Only difference is taht Chrome automatically fills it with the most visited sites while in Opera you have to fill them by hand.
even then the hand filling will let you choose from your most visited sites

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Loving it so far, (though i may be biased, i've been Opera only for god knows how long).
I can't switch browsers because i'm too used to the mouse gestures anyway :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom