• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ontario Plans Trial Basic Income Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakura

The idea that Ontario is somehow a decade away from Greece is laughable. Ontario has by far the largest economy in Canada. All the Western provinces combined barely surpass Ontario's GDP according to 2014 data: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provinces_and_territories_by_gross_domestic_product

...?
So BC, Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan, with a combined population of 10.2 million, have a larger GDP than Ontario, a population of 13.5 million. Am I supposed to be impressed by Ontario's performance here? I don't get it.

Cake Boss

Banned
I am a little late to the party in this until today when a colleague mentioned it to me.

Do we know which income levels will be eligible for this? And what is the payout? And is it all Ontario.

For a programming that's set to launch this year, doesn't seem to be any in for on it.

Cranster

Banned
I am a little late to the party in this until today when a colleague mentioned it to me.

Do we know which income levels will be eligible for this? And what is the payout? And is it all Ontario.

For a programming that's set to launch this year, doesn't seem to be any in for on it.
No concrete info yet. We provably won't know for another few months as the test doesn't start until the fall.

Walpurgis

Banned
Ahh Quebec, forever left behind Ontario.
I actually expected Quebec or B.C. to be the first provinces to do this. Ontario is a real surprise.
The idea that Ontario is somehow a decade away from Greece is laughable. Ontario has by far the largest economy in Canada. All the Western provinces combined barely surpass Ontario's GDP according to 2014 data: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provinces_and_territories_by_gross_domestic_product
This is true. If Ontario went Greece, all of Canada gets Greecey with it.
...?
So BC, Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan, with a combined population of 10.2 million, have a larger GDP than Ontario, a population of 13.5 million. Am I supposed to be impressed by Ontario's performance here? I don't get it.
Ontario and Quebec are the provinces where most the country lives but per capita, they do not contribute as much to the economy as most other provinces. That doesn't matter though because we still need them. Per capita, China is below Iraq but through sheer numbers with its enormous population, it is one of the world's most important economies.
Not sure if this is the type of thing that you can roll out and then retract.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom