• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On the last trading day of the year, Nintendo shares *finally* top their Wii-era highs from 2007 to reach a new record

I mean, I am anticipating it as well but I thought that the announcement is still way off. But I reckon that Metroid Prime 4 is gonna be a cross-platform title. Much like Breath of the Wild was.
Hardware sales are winding down in major markets like Europe and North America so I think they'll have to make the official announcement sooner rather than later if they want to keep the momentum going; this leads me to believe they'll be sharing the big news about the next Nintendo system in either Q1 or Q2 of 2024. Oh and Metroid Prime 4 is def a cross-gen title.

Hudo

Hardware sales are winding down in major markets like Europe and North America so I think they'll have to make the official announcement sooner rather than later if they want to keep the momentum going; this leads me to believe they'll be sharing the big news about the next Nintendo system in either Q1 or Q2 of 2024. Oh and Metroid Prime 4 is def a cross-gen title.
I sure hope you are right. I could do with some news about new hardware or at least the next big 3D Mario game in Q1.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well deserved!

Nintendo has been something else this entire generation and I have high hopes for what's next!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never examined Nintendo financials during the Wii/DS days, but you would had thought the sales and profits would be through the roof.

BUT in 2008 the stock already started cratered. Pretty sure Wii/DS were still selling like hotcakes, so something must had happened.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was the housing crash of 2008...
Oh ya, forgot about that.

Fuck, earlier in that year I bought VISA at the IPO at around $60. It's now $260 and that's already 3:1 split. So really it's like $780 if I held. Damn.

Was up a bit, crashed and I think took a loss of maybe 10%.

How? Did the Switch do that well this holiday or what happened?

Switch is actually down YoY, since peaking a few years ago. And Nintendo’s own forecast has it only selling 15 mil this year. But Nintendo won’t post financials for Q3 til next spring so we wouldn’t know this information yet.

But company share prices aren’t just a snapshot of how well sales are going minute-by-minute. Nintendo is very profitable. And software sales are incredibly profitable for them and they increased their software forecast for this FY. So that probably helps.

They need to ride this train while it lasts because console transitions are historically very rough for Nintendo, and no matter how great the new product is, it’s always a gamble. Especially now they don’t have a console or handheld line to fall back on to see them through a bad cycle, if the other one sags.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

SMB movie definitely helped. All that merchandise for school too pushed it up. Plus everyone jizzed their jean shorts over Mario wonder.

cireza

I have to admit that my Switch has been getting much more gaming time recently. Today I connected my Xbox to the network again only to be greeted by another system update and a 50 GB update for Wo Long. Probably the tenth time this game gets a 50 GB. I can't stand this shit anymore.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have to admit that my Switch has been getting much more gaming time recently. Today I connected my Xbox to the network again only to be greeted by another system update and a 50 GB update for Wo Long. Probably the tenth time this game gets a 50 GB. I can't stand this shit anymore.

Same. Nintendo have had an excellent year in terms of stuff worth playing. My year end stats were

Switch - 164h
PS5 - 82h
Xbox - 0h

Looking into 2024, PS will get some more time from me with Baldurs Gate 3, Plague Tale 2, Persona 3R and Alan Wake II on my backlog.

Nintendo next year is very much a question mark. I still need to 100% Super Mario Wonder and Zelda, but beyond that, not much is known. Sad P3R is not coming to Switch.

But the hybrid aspect of Switch really is unbeatable for game time. Just did two long flights full of Zelda, so nice.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
How? Did the Switch do that well this holiday or what happened?
I was thinking how the hell not years ago? 15 years and a lot of inflation. But the graph makes it clear that the Wii peak was overvalued and driven by a temporary craze.

Hudo

I was thinking how the hell not years ago? 15 years and a lot of inflation. But the graph makes it clear that the Wii peak was overvalued and driven by a temporary craze.
Maybe but you also got to keep in mind that the DS was also a thing during the Wii-era. And DS is still the second-best selling console ever, that might have contributed to the peak at as well.

Davevil

Man, look how hard they bombed with the Wii U. Hopefully they actually learn from poor decisions this time with the Switch 2. A lot of companies don't get second chances and Nintendo has already gotten at least... 4 of them?
no way switch's successor will be so successfully

Top Bottom