• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Worldwide Launch Thread

swordsman

Banned
Great opening Amir0x.

Dec. 2nd for me:
Premium pack + PDZ se
, but after watching the movie of Kameo from Tokio gameshow, I have to add this game to my purchase list.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Awesome thread indeed! I've got mine all paid off. :)

The ONLY disappointing thing is...

60nai.jpg

:(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kabuki Waq said:
Yeah, I know there are a couple...

I'm still waiting on a real confirmation for CoD2, though. Blim stated that the X05 version was most certainly NOT 60 fps. I'm hoping they pull it out!

dark10x said:
Yeah, I know there are a couple...

I'm still waiting on a real confirmation for CoD2, though. Blim stated that the X05 version was most certainly NOT 60 fps. I'm hoping they pull it out!

huh? blim said it WAS 60fps at X05.

Wunderchu

also, Itagaki made a point of stating that DOA4 will be 60 FPS:

GI: You’ve always pushed the hardware you’re working on quite a bit. What have you been able to do on the Xbox 360 that you haven’t been able to do on the first Xbox?

Itagaki: At E3 we were one of the few developers to show their game demo on Xbox 360. Although it wasn’t playable. Most of the games were 15 fps. Our E3 trailer we tried getting it to 60 fps, but it ended up turning out to be around 45. That was E3. Now we’ve brought it up to 60. To be more specific, maybe it’s about 55 fps. From now until launch we’ll bring it up to 60.
[source: http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200509/N05.0923.1500.24632.htm ]

Blimblim

The Inside Track
dark10x said:
Awesome thread indeed! I've got mine all paid off. :)

The ONLY disappointing thing is...

60nai.jpg

:(
COD 2, Amped 3, Top Spin 2, DOA 4, 99 nights, RR6, Full Auto, Fifa all say hello :D

123rl

Awesome thread. Thanks for putting it together...this is easily the most comprehensive one I've ever seen for a new launch

BlueTsunami said:
Thats very true...but the immersion level jumps very high when you have alot of channels to work with. With 7.1, the two surrounding speakers in the back would be cool to have a total and complete speakers surround system. Although, I would be fine with 5.1, I just saw 5.1 only up there and was wondering if 7.1 would be possible.

Onkyo Sound system FTW!

Does your amplifier have a 'phantom' 7.1 mode? ie where it takes in a 5.1 signal and converts the rears to form a 6.1/7.1 signal out of the surround sound data?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
What I promised you Amir0x! Also formatted to fit the great style you and Matlock have setup for the game previews.

EDIT: IT HAS BEEN ABSORBED INTO THE LIST

W00t, nice thread. As it gets closer to launch, the more and more I feel the need to get one. I'll probably just be tempted to buy one on Launch day after seeing any game wih my own eyes.

Amir0x

Banned
Wow, thanks bay-bee. You and Matlock made this a lot easier, I was fixing to crunch this weekend to finish writing everything (I was already half finished), but you guys shot it off for me.

People should be thanking you two :p

Xenon

great thread with lots of info, very impressive

you should also include a list of confirmed BC list of xbox games. So far its a short list of halo and halo 2. I'm hoping that list will grow before launch

Amir0x

Banned
Xenon said:
great thread with lots of info, very impressive

you should also include a list of confirmed BC list of xbox games. So far its a short list of halo and halo 2. I'm hoping that list will grow before launch

Official Xbox Magazine had a rumour that 100+ games will be BC at launch, which is definitely a nice improvement from that. As I think we'll be getting more solid info in the coming weeks, I'll leave the BC list blank as it's not worth it for just two games atm :p

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Your thread is awesome. Great example as to why they made the right choice in making you a mod, it's a pleasure to be of help.

EDIT: IT HAS BEEN ABSORBED INTO THE LIST

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I know you guys hate me (and will probably hate me more for this post) but here are my impressions from the demo units that are hitting wal marts right now

Kameo- The textures are mostly washed out and really just ugly. Framerate is good i guess, the gameplay is uninspiring, but in a way kind of reminds me of battletoads. It most likely wont be praised for its depth or anything. Didn't like the demo at all. (big surprise right guys?) Looks worse than in the screenshots.

COD2- More ugly textures, nice framerate though. Pretty intense, i guess thats a genre staple though. Didn't seem like it was anything new. Again the graphics didnt really give off a next gen vibe(i know you guys are tired of hearing this) but i enjoyed the game a bit more than kameo.

I didnt bother with king kong cause i just assumed it was a slightly better looking version of the pc demo.

In the end i walked away disappointed. I came in hoping i had been wrong this whole time, but it really just reinforced my previous assumptions. I know its just the first gen, but until i see some better games i'm not sure im willing to spend 400 bucks.

Amir0x

Banned
sp0rsk said:
I know you guys hate me (and will probably hate me more for this post) but here are my impressions from the demo units that are hitting wal marts right now

Kameo- The textures are mostly washed out and really just ugly. Framerate is good i guess, the gameplay is uninspiring, but in a way kind of reminds me of battletoads. It most likely wont be praised for its depth or anything. Didn't like the demo at all. (big surprise right guys?) Looks worse than in the screenshots.

COD2- More ugly textures, nice framerate though. Pretty intense, i guess thats a genre staple though. Didn't seem like it was anything new. Again the graphics didnt really give off a next gen vibe(i know you guys are tired of hearing this) but i enjoyed the game a bit more than kameo.

I didnt bother with king kong cause i just assumed it was a slightly better looking version of the pc demo.

In the end i walked away disappointed. I came in hoping i had been wrong this whole time, but it really just reinforced my previous assumptions. I know its just the first gen, but until i see some better games i'm not sure im willing to spend 400 bucks.

Banned from the thread.

Wait, shit, I can't ban mods from this thread.

You win this day, sp0rsk!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Hey you're being honest, that's all anyone can ask for. Surprised to hear about the texture issues but I'll have to check it out myself. Sadly all the Walmarts down here don't have the kiosk nor do they know what an Xbox is.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
Banned from the thread.

Wait, shit, I can't ban mods from this thread.

You win this day, sp0rsk!

nyahahahaha!

I promise you guys i gave it a fair chance! I don't mind being proven wrong, and i was really hoping actually playing kameo would do it, but it actually made me not like the game even more :/

Amir0x

Banned
Kameo hasn't really wow'ed me visually from what I've seen, but it sounds great from a gameplay perspective. I have to give it a try, mainly because it seems to be one of the most fully featured games at the 360 launch. Plus, the soundtrack is pretty neat huh!

Xrenity

Amir0x said:
Kameo hasn't really wow'ed me visually from what I've seen, but it sounds great from a gameplay perspective. I have to give it a try, mainly because it seems to be one of the most fully featured games at the 360 launch. Plus, the soundtrack is pretty neat huh!
PGR3 sounds better :D I read every corner sounds just as in real life.

I even read the floor of the car is identical to its real-life counterpart, even though you don't see it o_0

THAT is one truly amazing game.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
123rl said:
Awesome thread. Thanks for putting it together...this is easily the most comprehensive one I've ever seen for a new launch

Does your amplifier have a 'phantom' 7.1 mode? ie where it takes in a 5.1 signal and converts the rears to form a 6.1/7.1 signal out of the surround sound data?

I believe it can simulate having all the speakers being used (even if the audio is coming through as 5.1 Dolby Surround). If that works, then i'll be satisfied. :D

IJoel

Great job on this very informative thread Amir0x and the others.

Kameo ugly? haha... wtf are you smoking? I wonder if the Wal-Mart you tried the game at didn't have Hi-Def enabled on the dashboard.

My impressions from another thread:
Kameo: Beautiful looking. There are certain scenes that make you go 'oooohhhh' as they look fantastic.

CoD 2: Really nice looking game and very smooth (60 fps.) The thing that comes to mind for this demo is "really clean and sharp graphics" and "awesome environmental effects."

King Kong: DAMMIT, I WANT THIS GAME NOW! The game has to be seen in motion to really notice how good it looks. The screens don't do it justice at all. Simply put, while it definitely still looks not quite next gen as, say Kameo, it does look really nice. The thing that really stands out is the environment and how beautiful and lush it looks. The T-Rex looks good too, but the character models are definitely lacking.

I didn't spend too much time with it because Wal-Mart puts the screens at quite the high angle and my neck was killing me when I stopped playing.

The controller is fantastic. Feels like the perfect size and it just fits perfectly.

bitwise

Banned
sp0rsk said:

you only tried 2 games, and it would have taken an act of god to change your mind about Kameo, which you have never treated with anything less than outright derision on this forum.

so in other words, thanks for your opinion but it really means nothing. There isn't going to be a game out at any time thats gonna change YOUR mind about the 360, I think we all know that.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Hoping to get a Premium Pack along with PGR3, Kameo, DoA4, and VGA Adaptor at launch. I don't have them preordered though, and actually getting to a store to wait for one might be a problem logistically. We'll see...

hgplayer1

Im hoping to get the premium pack and an extra controller as far as hardware goes.

I know Ill get at least 2 games on day 1. Right now its looking like PGR3 and Condemned are locks.

I might pick up DOA for some beat em up action.

I might get PD for some shoot em up.

Ill most likely get COD but mainly for the single player since Im not sure what the multi play will be like.

Kameo is most likely a game Ill get but not on day 1.

if both NBA games are available Ill probably get NBA2k.

Madden can kiss my ass if its not up to snuff gameplay wise. I think it looks ok but from the vids seen thus far it looks stiff and a little slow. Also EA is denying us online leagues and thats enough for me not to want to buy Madden.

neptunes

Anyone know when we'll be getting the supposed day-one 100 backwards compatible game list?

Someone sead it would be very soon, element? Anyone?

Yusaku

^^ No, because the communicator is built into the controller (partly why it's so expensive). All you have to do is plug in a cellphone headset into the controller (preferably one with in-line volume control)

Just got the PC version of the 360 controller. The first thing I thought was "Driving games are gonna be AWESOME with this thing." My hand gets really uncomfortable playing PGR2 with the Controller S, but the triggers on the 360 controller are absolutely perfect.

If anyone cares, currently I'm slated to get:

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (free with the Pepsi thing)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Project Gotham Racing 3
Condemned: Criminal Origins

Anything else I get will depend on reviews/impressions.

EDIT: An interesting thing with the 360 controller is that Windows only sees the communicator if a headset is plugged in. That must be designed to save power on the wireless controller.

Amir0x

Banned
THREAD 1.0 COMPLET'D

Thanks Matlock, Jesiatha and Tekuno especially, but of course everyone else involved.

Will be updating with minor shit to the FAQ/LIVE explanation later on. Possibly some movie media too.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yusaku said:
^^ No, because the communicator is built into the controller (partly why it's so expensive). All you have to do is plug in a cellphone headset into the controller (preferably one with in-line volume control)

Just got the PC version of the 360 controller. The first thing I thought was "Driving games are gonna be AWESOME with this thing." My hand gets really uncomfortable playing PGR2 with the Controller S, but the triggers on the 360 controller are absolutely perfect.

If anyone cares, currently I'm slated to get:

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (free with the Pepsi thing)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Project Gotham Racing 3
Condemned: Criminal Origins

Anything else I get will depend on reviews/impressions.

EDIT: An interesting thing with the 360 controller is that Windows only sees the communicator if a headset is plugged in. That must be designed to save power on the wireless controller.

I'm almost sure I saw a pic with a 360 controller with a communicator facing down, plugged into the bottom. I remember thinking "why the hell do they still need that thing??"

Amir0x

Banned
I like how the 360 controller is basically so great that they copy it exactly, except put tiger striped grips on it.

SuperPac

AZYUMA86 said:
I might have missed it in here but will the current Xbox Live Communicators work with the 360?

The way I understand it is that the headset itself will work, but you'll have to change the volume or mute the mic in menus instead because the pack that used to go in between the headset and the controller that had those functions is no longer necessary. I believe I heard this on Major Nelson's podcast.

Matlock

Banned
Amir0x said:
I like how the 360 controller is basically so great that they copy it exactly, except put tiger striped grips on it.

xbox-360-faq-20050512085639199-000.jpg

Official--rounded bottom, start and select on either side of the guide button, genesis-esque D-Pad.

xbox360neosecontroller25ih.jpg

Joytech: boxier front (quasi-wavebird look), weird concave d-pad, Xbox 1 start/select placement.

802153b.jpg

MadCatz: Fat handles, tiger stripe grips, start/select above the guide button, nintend-style d-pad. Looks like an obese Joytech.

Matlock

Banned
iawtp

The Joytech wheel looks sexy, tho, with that stickshift stickin' out there. Mmmm mmm.

Between the XB360 Media Remote and that, I could play PGR3 without ever havin' to touch a standard controller.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'd like a wheel, but I have two issues. Is this wheel wireless? Also, I don't have anything to mount it on.

Matlock

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
I'd like a wheel, but I have two issues. Is this wheel wireless? Also, I don't have anything to mount it on.

No.

And man, it's not that hard to get a small stand. :)

Yusaku

Chittagong said:
I'm almost sure I saw a pic with a 360 controller with a communicator facing down, plugged into the bottom. I remember thinking "why the hell do they still need that thing??"

Maybe at one time, but the controllers you'll be using just have a headset plug in the bottom.

Top Bottom