• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Children of Mana (USA) Thread

Fady K

Ill probably pick this up alongside FFIII come mid November. 8.0 seems decent enough for now. Shame that they still couldnt make a Mana game as good as SoM in more than a decade.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Demigod Mac said:
Was SoM not a dungeon-crawler, too? I'm pretty sure 95% of that game consisted of killing things endlessly.

When people call Children of Mana a dungeon crawler or a dungeon hack RPG, they're trying to say that it's more Diablo than Mana, and this is the first game in the series to skew in this direction. Sword of Mana has much more in common with Secret of Mana than it does Children of Mana.

0 HP

I'm at
that windy forest (5th dungeon)
and it seems like the game is almost over. Aside from the shitty, shitty localization, i'd have to say Sword is the better game so far.

Fady K

Man...it looks like Square-Enix messed up again (as in disappointed). Now ill have to wait for Dawn of Mana to see if things change.

Not so sure about Heroes of Mana ATM.

Fady K

Man...it looks like Square-Enix messed up again (as in disappointed). Now ill have to wait for Dawn of Mana to see if things change.

Not so sure about Heroes of Mana ATM.

E-Nature

it's a very bad game IMO! I'm in the last level now and all I did in the whole game was slashing annoying monsters and walking through the same levels again and again.

the attacks are pretty clumsy and the story is more than thin. Totally can not recommend this game, it's very bad........ Even the magic I can "use" is just plain boring and doesn't help a thing in the game.

Llyranor

The only way I'm playing this game is via coop.

I just received my two copies from Amazon. Just had a 1-hour-ish session with my sister.

Best DS game ever.

I don't care how the game is supposed to be simplistic or shallow or repetitive or have a sucky story or whatever the crap you want to say, that was pure gaming bliss. With multiplayer having random dungeons as a bonus, I see great lasting value in this title. Coop is chaotic fun. We spent the whole time fighting the first boss yelling at each other 'heal me!' 'how many gumdrops do you have left?' 'ok, ok, block now!' 'that armor is mine!'. The ricochet mechanics really add a lot to the fun, too.

Even if the game turns out to be easy, it doesn't matter since my sister is really bad at games.

This is what gaming is all about.

+++ recommendation if you have friends willing to shell out for their own copy for coop awesomeness. Diablo + Mana makes a great combination in this case.

bluemax

Banned
Is there a single cart coop? Gamefly is sending this to me, and I know the only redeeming value is in multiplayer...

Jiggy

True classics are good both as single-player or multiplayer. :( Like SSBM, Goldeneye, Halo, or, you know, Secret of Mana.

Sorry to hear about all the disappointment. Not just for those who spent money, but for myself as a fan of the GB/SNES/SFC games.

0 HP

bluemax said:
Is there a single cart coop? Gamefly is sending this to me, and I know the only redeeming value is in multiplayer...
OF COURSE IT ISN"T SINGLE CART CO-OP WHY WOULD IT BE

Limedust

I picked this up a few days ago, and I'm enjoying it in the same way I enjoyed playing Zelda: Four Swords Adventure (NGC) all the way through in single player. It's just straight-forward and fun.

... and Secret of Mana IS over-rated.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Limedust said:
... and Secret of Mana IS over-rated.

Overrated maybe, but the pendulum certainly doesn't swing so far into the deep end either, if that is what you are inferring.

Limedust

Brandon F said:
Overrated maybe, but the pendulum certainly doesn't swing so far into the deep end either, if that is what you are inferring.

No, of course not.

And on the other hand, CoM is just a pretty dungeon hack... which I like.

Phthisis

I kind of equate this game to the feeling I had about PSO: it's not a particularly good game, but it's a lot of fun for some reason.

Single player is okay, and I'm enjoying it, but I couldn't recommend it on that basis alone. However, when I purchased it, I also bought a copy for my girlfriend, and we played for like 6 hours straight that first day, and I must say, co-op is so much better.

If you've got someone else to play it with, CoM is tons of fun.

bengraven

Okay, I'm opening this two week dead thread to ask a question.

I loved Secret of Mana and I actually really liked Legend of Mana a lot (it was all about creating robots and raising animals for me, so sue me). I didn't like Sword of Mana.

Will I like this game?

This game is notingh like SoM.

And really, people anticipating this game are part of Square-Enix´ problem. It´s like buying Dirge of Cerberus or FFX-2.
You mustnt buy these games, so that the company realizes "oh, our fans dont like trash like that".
I bought the Japanese version , when there was the special offer at playasia, and thanks god, i bought it at low price.

bengraven

MasterMFauli said:
This game is notingh like SoM.

And really, people anticipating this game are part of Square-Enix´ problem. It´s like buying Dirge of Cerberus or FFX-2.
You mustnt buy these games, so that the company realizes "oh, our fans dont like trash like that".
I bought the Japanese version , when there was the special offer at playasia, and thanks god, i bought it at low price.

Okay, if you're comparing it to those two games, I'm aiming towards "no".

Phthisis

bengraven said:
Okay, I'm opening this two week dead thread to ask a question.

I loved Secret of Mana and I actually really liked Legend of Mana a lot (it was all about creating robots and raising animals for me, so sue me). I didn't like Sword of Mana.

Will I like this game?

If you liked Legend of Mana, you might like this game. The emphasis in Children is on dunegone hacking and crawling. The game is built like Champions of Norrath or PSO in that is's town-dungeon-town-dungeon. The story is forgettable, but you might find the game fun if you like the dungeon-hack genre.

I don't particularly, but playing this game with someone else is a blast.

My girlfriend beat the game, and she's trying to get a better ending now. I haven't even started playing. How would the multiplayer work out in this scenario? Is it still fun? Would it benefit either of us in the single player mode? Is the difference in skill/levels going to be a problem?

EDIT: Is this a good Mana game to start with or do I need a prep Mana?

gola

This is sadly a very bad game. I bought two copies for me and my girlfriend and had my hopes up high. I could forgive the game a lot of its flaws as long as it gave us some co-op fun, but no... after the 4th dungeon we just gave up. In addition to the mentioned shallow and repetative gameplay there is a major problem with the save system. In two-player mode, only one player is allowed to save the progress storywise, which means that only that player also receives all special items etc. awarded after each dungeon. It would seem that the idea is that both players are supposed to play the single-player game by themselves and then occationally meet up for a dungeon with two-player co-op, not the whole game.

regrib

it's a beautiful game graphic wise and it could have been great but... it isn't, I found it to be boring, repetetive and the story sucks monkey balls

do not waste your money on it

Did ANYONE buy Children of Mana (US)? I've heard next to no talk about this game since it released in America... well how is it? How's the translation and such? Worth a 35$? I still kinda want it.

Llyranor

I love it. In terms of combat system, it IS toned down compared to the prev Mana titles (less weapons, less abilities per weapons, less spells per element), and the story is irrelevent. You basically go exploring dungeons and dungeons again and again. You may find it repetitive. They're randomly generated in multiplayer, though. I'd say it's essentially Mana meets Diablo.

The music is nice, the graphics are nice (sprites and town are very cool, dungeon environments less so). Combat-wise, it IS a bit simple. I do quite enjoy the collision detection (lots of ricocheting around).

I love the game. I would hate it as a singleplayer game, but it is exquisite in coop. The flaws are very present, but I'm willing to overlook them because coop is oh-so-enjoyable. The downside is that every player needs their own cart.

If the thought of a somewhat simplified Mana dungeon crawl doesn't make you throw up, you might consider this. If the thought of using your sister as your primary weapon as you send her flying into the hordes of enemy with the hammer (which has a very strong ricochet effect) is appealing, strongly consider this.

My sister's not that great a gamer, so a simplified game in this case is a very good thing. This could be my favorite DS game for the coop alone. Again, despite the flaws.

Though, yes, heed caution.

Dalauz

the colision system and multiple enemy on screen worth the try. Random dungeon generator and objetives sucks hard.

Top Bottom