• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official All-Pro Football 2k8 Neo-GAF Online League Thread: Rats off to ya!

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
And Fmt splooges all over the thread.

KarishBHR

what is one to do with all these long ass codes people are pasting into these threads that have something to do with the custom uniforms and stuff

Willco

Hollywood Square
Well, after an embarrassing 0-5 to my online ranked career, I went 4-0 today. One of the games was a spectacular finish, where I won in double OT, with five seconds left on 4th and 18. I setup a play action pass and my hot route - the safeties bit on the play action and the lone DB couldn't keep up. Touchdown! It was a 7-7 game 'till that point; a defensive slugfest of epic proportions.

I have some issues with the rating system, though.

I played this one guy who was just awful. It was still 0-0, but you could tell that I could crush this guy. He went for it on 4th down and turned it over. Then he quit. Then, he had the audacity to give me negative feedback even though he forfeit the game! What the f*ck! Anyone who quits should automatically not allowed to leave feedback.

Then, in my last game, where I thoroughly beat my opponent 31-14 and then ran the ball instead of running up the score, he left me a neutral rating with a feedback of HAS POTENTIAL. F*ck you, dude, I just beat you 31-14!

This rating system is shit.

Bog

Junior Ace
So maybe I'm seeing things, but I'm pretty sure the computer controlled team I just faced in Season mode had about 8 Gold star players. What the hell is that about?

maynerd

Banned
Bog said:
So maybe I'm seeing things, but I'm pretty sure the computer controlled team I just faced in Season mode had about 8 Gold star players. What the hell is that about?

I think it's just their way of making some teams more powerful than others I think I played one team that had only bronze players.

MCMgZa8dgPvMgBrGr35pbkzA3bY6Sa3DXnrESzNcwnMq-
C28XS4VYYtNCo6B7Qdu6yc

5yanfkg.jpg

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Big Zep said:
nice pics..

anyway, has anyone messed with maximum passing(clicking left stick on team select screen)

I tried it but if I was being flushed out the pocket and tried throwing on the run, my WR was no where near the ball.

(Yes I know it's pinpoint your pass, but it's kinda hard to do that when you're running!)

Maverick

I had an excellent game online last night. O.J. Simpson is a murderer in this game. I just couldn't stop him. He had something like 210 yards.

Overall, I can't think of much to say other than this game is a blast. Highly recommended.

Crowza

speculawyer said:
Yeah, there are some subtle jokes & references . . . the stadium for the Sharks is Amity stadium . . . the name of the fictional town in Jaws.

So far I've been a little disappointed by the stadiums . . . I thought they would be a little more over-the-top. The animatronics are a bit subdued. I like the celebration dances more. The trash-talking is mostly annoying but every now & then they say something funny.

Last night when I was creating a team, I was going through the list of the stadiums and one name stood out in particular. "Extensive Enterprise" Stadium. Any 80s G.I. Joe fan worth their salt knows that "Extensive Enterprises" is the corporate company that Tomax and Xamot own to laundry money through to the "terrorist" organization, Cobra.

In the description of the stadium it says that the "twin snakes" monument on the field is to commemorate the strange "twin" owners of the stadium and team.

Of course, what team plays at the Stadium? You guessed it. The Cobras! I never noticed it before because the default color scheme is green. So, at 2am last night I started creating a "Cobra" color scheme for the uniforms of the team. I can't believe it took me 2 days before I noticed it.

Major props to Visual Concepts for the awesome reference!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
did OJ cut and slash all over the field?! LOL OLOLOLOL OMFG LOOOOOOOOOOOL

no, but there were some unflattering photos of him and John Elway found. Newspaper headline read: "OJ Simpson caught inside a white bronco"

Enron

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
did OJ cut and slash all over the field?! LOL OLOLOLOL OMFG LOOOOOOOOOOOL

Remember that old Saturday Night Live skit where Tim Meadows (playing OJ Simpson on a parody of an NFL on NBC broadcast) was diagramming a play on the Telestrator and it spelled out "I did It"? Good times.

KarishBHR said:
what is one to do with all these long ass codes people are pasting into these threads that have something to do with the custom uniforms and stuff

You enter them into your copy of the game and then you have that uniform.

Kintaro said:
Not sure why I find it funny that people are making NFL uniforms for this game, but I do.

Take a guess what would happen if they allowed you to use create a player to create an entire team.

To some degree, I'm not sure why they didn't do that. It wouldn't have been illegal for them. But the problem would occur when these teams would be supported by 2K servers.

I suspect they didn't allow it because they want to stay in good graces with the NFL so they can get a shot at the real licenses. But if the license comes up for renewal and EA gets another exclusive, 2K should just allow people to create their entire own teams.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Okay, just two questions:

Is Broadway Joe Namath in this game?

Has anyone made an old-school Jets uni yet?

In any case, APF 2K8 is mine tonight.

BojTrek

Banned
I forgot how bad I am at the game... I need to learn moves, hot routes, shifts... all that crap...

I am a basic pick play and hope it works guy... I have to learn to adjust to what I see on the field...

NOTE: I love seeing myself in online games... Jim Bojan #22 WR for the Chicago Maulers or Bear looking things...

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
speculawyer said:
I suspect they didn't allow it because they want to stay in good graces with the NFL so they can get a shot at the real licenses. But if the license comes up for renewal and EA gets another exclusive, 2K should just allow people to create their entire own teams.

They've gone on record saying this is the exact reason why. This is why I found it funny that they slight the NFL in it's advertising and sly comments in the game, yet want the license back badly. Personally, I highly doubt that license leaves EA's hands.

Hence, why I wanted 2k to try harder on this game. Lack of features, etc, isn't something I expect from these guys, and I don't buy the "one year" excuse. Cest la vie.

Kintaro said:
They've gone on record saying this is the exact reason why. This is why I found it funny that they slight the NFL in it's advertising and sly comments in the game, yet want the license back badly. Personally, I highly doubt that license leaves EA's hands.

Hence, why I wanted 2k to try harder on this game. Lack of features, etc, isn't something I expect from these guys, and I don't buy the "one year" excuse. Cest la vie.

So when does this crap expire again? Please tell me before the decade mark

bob_arctor said:
Okay, just two questions:
Is Broadway Joe Namath in this game?
Has anyone made an old-school Jets uni yet?
In any case, APF 2K8 is mine tonight.

Sorry, no panty-hose wearing QBs in the game.

I'm sure someone will eventually make the old Jet uni but I haven't seen it yet.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
speculawyer said:
Sorry, no panty-hose wearing QBs in the game.

I'm sure someone will eventually make the old Jet uni but I haven't seen it yet.

Wow. Really?? Damn. I figured maybe VC put at least one classic/HOF QB per team or something. *sigh* Why would they leave Mr. Guarantee out? *double sigh*

maynerd

Banned
bob_arctor said:
Wow. Really?? Damn. I figured maybe VC put at least one classic/HOF QB per team or something. *sigh* Why would they leave Mr. Guarantee out? *double sigh*

They are either saving some players for downloadable content so they can rape us later or perhaps some for next years release.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
maynerd said:
They are either saving some players for downloadable content so they can rape us later or perhaps some for next years release.

Are there any former Jets in the game at all? Hell, there aren't many former Jets that are in the HOF, right? So options are already limited. DID VC THROW MY JETS WORSHIPPIN' ASS A FRIGGIN' BONE?? :D

BojTrek said:
I forgot how bad I am at the game... I need to learn moves, hot routes, shifts... all that crap...

I am a basic pick play and hope it works guy... I have to learn to adjust to what I see on the field....

The game is deep and complex. Lots of options for play calling & audibles. And tons of controls for when you are on the field. So many that I don't even know what they are . . . I've been playing a D-lineman and there are buttons to Club, spin, Bull rush, swim, rip . . . . WTF? I haven't seen a pool for me to jump in and swim?

Has anyone figured out the 'charge' thing? Apparently you hold the 'A' button to charge up your player . . . but then I don't quite understand what happens after that?

Damn 2K manuals suck . . . they should really do a better job. This is all they say about this 'charge' feature:

"Holding down the A button will charge your player, and you can achieve up to two levels of charge. Certain player abilities require the full two levels of charge in order to be used."

So WTF does charge do?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
speculawyer said:
"Holding down the A button will charge your player, and you can achieve up to two levels of charge. Certain player abilities require the full two levels of charge in order to be used."

So WTF does charge do?

If it's anything like 2K5, it would power up your moves. So you charge it then hit spin or juke or whatever and it would be a better version of said move. I think.

bluemax

Banned
bob_arctor said:
If it's anything like 2K5, it would power up your moves. So you charge it then hit spin or juke or whatever and it would be a better version of said move. I think.

Pretty much. It makes you run a bit faster as a RB and then if you hit juke when its all blue and glowing it makes you juke a bit wider or better. Kind of gimmicky.

Is anyone else who played a lot of Madden 360 actually missing the right trigger sprint? It took me a number of runs to stop pressing it when I wanted to sprint.

Also, how do I pull the ball down and run as a QB? I don't scramble much, but it would be nice to be able to do, and I miss the more modern way of simply pressing the sprint button to pull the ball down and run.

bluemax said:
Is anyone else who played a lot of Madden 360 actually missing the right trigger sprint? It took me a number of runs to stop pressing it when I wanted to sprint.

Also, how do I pull the ball down and run as a QB? I don't scramble much, but it would be nice to be able to do, and I miss the more modern way of simply pressing the sprint button to pull the ball down and run.

Ironically, you pull the right trigger to enter 'scrable' mode wherein your QB becomes like any other player with the ball.

Also, you can change the controller layout, so maybe you can move sprint from 'a' to right trigger.

maynerd

Banned
Hunter D said:
How do you get a second level powerup? Do you just keep holding the button or do you have to charge twice?

Holding the button charges it, it will then flash, then it will glow solid that solid glowing I believe is the second level powerup.

maynerd

Banned
speculawyer said:
Also, you can change the controller layout, so maybe you can move sprint from 'a' to right trigger.

You can tap A to speed up so if you put it to right trigger it will mean tapping the right trigger...to me that's not as easy or as good as tapping A. IMHO

SickBoy

bob_arctor said:
Are there any former Jets in the game at all? Hell, there aren't many former Jets that are in the HOF, right? So options are already limited. DID VC THROW MY JETS WORSHIPPIN' ASS A FRIGGIN' BONE?? :D

Freeman McNeil :)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
SickBoy said:
Freeman McNeil :)

Bah! It's a shame Curtis Martin didn't officially retire last year since he would have been in this game. Still, no Namath makes zero sense to me. His whole mystique is perfect for the over-the-top vibe of APF.

LiveWire

I bought the 2K Reelmaker and I must say it's fun as hell to make highlights. You can make really long player highlights or just single play highlights pretty easily. I made one based off a sweet Flea Flicker touchdown I had with Theismann and Clark. Check it out, it's ranked #3 currently on the Top 100 2K Sports Reels. It's called "Theismann/Clark Trick TD."

Vote it up if you like it. :D

bluemax

Banned
speculawyer said:
Ironically, you pull the right trigger to enter 'scrable' mode wherein your QB becomes like any other player with the ball.

Ah well, that's decent for scrambling. The in game controls description screens are awful. There's like one generic screen for offense and one for defense and they barely crack the surface of controls.

LiveWire

bluemax said:

It's the right trigger. :lol

maynerd

Banned
LiveWire said:
I bought the 2K Reelmaker and I must say it's fun as hell to make highlights. You can make really long player highlights or just single play highlights pretty easily. I made one based off a sweet Flea Flicker touchdown I had with Theismann and Clark. Check it out, it's ranked #3 currently on the Top 100 2K Sports Reels. It's called "Theismann/Clark Trick TD."

Vote it up if you like it. :D

Where do you view these?

LiveWire

maynerd said:
Where do you view these?

Under the features menu.

Oh wait it looks like you might have to buy the add-on to view highlight reels. I can't force anyone to spend the 400 MS points but I can tell you it's really fun to play with and there are some good highlights on there.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Ramirez said:
Anyone had a fumble happen? 3 games and no fumbles :p

:lol all 5 of my season games have been in downpours. I've seen atleast 3 fumbles in those 5 games and 6 ints. Rocket is awesome at WR and KR. He can catch clutch passes then speed down the field and I've returned 3 kickoffs for TDs. Just have it set for return right, start up the middle, then cut to the right. Easy money.

oh yeah, the animations in the rain is great. When the QB slips, he'll stumble for a few feet, then stand up like nothing happened.

maynerd

Banned
100_1212.jpg

Dh8JmTKYrT3yWyvycxR7zuiksec4Jdmapv3VKSp3Dkgpj-cWFxdrhQQDsUxgjLWtkrc

Still waiting for someone to be awesome and make Seahawks unis! :)

Top Bottom