• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ofcom to be given powers to police social media in the UK

Regulator Ofcom is set to be given the power to make tech firms responsible for protecting people from harmful content such as violence, terrorism, cyber-bullying and child abuse, the government will confirm on Wednesday.

We will see how well they police child abuse, especially as there is racial tension around the topic at the moment.

The worrying part is; Who polices the police?

What is a definition of terrorism, or indeed, cyber-bullying? Is calling Matt an Australian [Redacted], cyber-bullying? Is calling Yaniv a [Redacted]-looking mother[Redacted], cyber-bullying? Will this be end of the UK Gaf, once and for all?

Find out next week, same bat place, same bat channel.

We will see how well they police child abuse, especially as there is racial tension around the topic at the moment.

The worrying part is; Who polices the police?

What is a definition of terrorism, or indeed, cyber-bullying? Is calling Matt an Australian [Redacted], cyber-bullying? Is calling Yaniv a [Redacted]-looking mother[Redacted], cyber-bullying? Will this be end of the UK Gaf, once and for all?

Find out next week, same bat place, same bat channel.
Time to bring up an old meme.
17f.jpg

With how unpopular Labor is in the UK, I'd kind of assumed other Lefty political groups would be too and that the government would move away from implementing SJW-friendly laws.
I hope things get better there. Its impossible to address problems if you cant discuss the truth about their causes.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
if they stop cyber bullying, racist abuse underage grooming etc then yeah go for it.

But if they just censoring discourse nah sod that that’s some Orwellian shit right there.

nush

Gold Member
When the article starts with an example of "Instagram helped kill my daughter" it's just another example of people not taking personal responsibility for what thier kids are doing online.
The whole wording is so vague that "cyber bullying" could mean anything they want to in the way people misuse "trolling" as a way to dismiss anyone that disagrees with them.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Good luck with that. For a sense of how deluded the UK is with respect to our standing on the world stage, look at the way we try to tell US based tech companies what to do. Zuck barely pays attention when his own Government calls him to heel - why would he listen to the daft cunts at Ofcom?

We can't make any of these companies do a fucking thing. Nothing is going to change.

Edit: I meant cunts - back off autocorrect.

Last edited:
Oh look, another bureaucratic institution soaking up public funds in order to provide an image of "doing our best" so that well-to-do voters far outside the areas suffering the consequences can keep voting the same way and tweeting about it and feeling good about themselves.

UK sure has a solid track record of identifying and punishing child molesters, especially in cases where it might be uncomfortable to prosecute due to ideological /racial tensions. I am certain this org will not waste its time cracking down on people who say naughty words on Facebook and will instead seek out the most dangerous participants on social media that groom children and spread propaganda.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Well, at least the police won’t come to your hous — oh.

Well, at least offline, you aren’t constantly watched by cameras in your major cit — oh.

Well, at least you were smart unlike us, and didn’t sign up to place literal wiretaps in your houses under the guise of voice assistants, with the big companies already confirmed to be pulling bits of conversa — oh.

Well, at least if the government is engaging in a tyrannical surveillance/controlled speech state, you still have guns to make a statement wit — oh.

Well, it’s a long shot, but maybe you have kniv — oh.

Honestly, although I’m sure there’s some good, normal people among you, as an plurality, your country deserves this. One of the most docile, stupid electorates in the world, given what’s going on and the lack of resistance to it, and that’s saying something right now.

Protip, get less offended by this post, and start changing things. Where you’re headed is terrifying, unless you’re into Orwellian states.

Last edited:
Top Bottom