• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Traveler [OT] Eight for one, one for eight

Pejo

Bewildering Grace is nuts. It can give a XP x100 boost but it also gives a JP x 100 boost as well.

Look at this, 15800 JP, lol

I was wondering what people were doing to see these ridiculous high XP/JP screenshots. Thanks for the info.

Man, I really regret not getting the CE of this game. Anyone know if it's in stock somewhere? I checked the usual placed and no dice.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was wondering what people were doing to see these ridiculous high XP/JP screenshots. Thanks for the info.

Man, I really regret not getting the CE of this game. Anyone know if it's in stock somewhere? I checked the usual placed and no dice.

The standard edition of the game is already getting ridiculously difficult to find, good luck finding the CE.

sotojuan

Game really picks up once you get everyone a second job - a lot of areas and enemies are more manageable since at least one person can hit an enemy's weakness. Definitely enjoying it more now.

Smasher89

Havent checked any speedruns of this game yet since ive yet a lot of content left to play in it, but imagine starting prim, play through her story chapter 1, and get enough jp for bewildering grace, then find a cat and kill it with a bewildering grace that does x100 exp right before!

Pejo

Man, some of these bosses are a challenge.

Been fighting
Runelord unlock boss. I can do fine until he uses the AoE moves that also give status effects, but then I feel like I get a constant cycle of getting everyone killed/raise them/status effect like sleep or unconscious/repeat until I die. Are there any status resist equipments or accessories in the game? I saw a few people did it with dual Apothecary classes for the 2 turn immunity, but I don't really want to level Alph just for this one fight.

How did you guys do this part?

Ragnaroz

Havent checked any speedruns of this game yet since ive yet a lot of content left to play in it, but imagine starting prim, play through her story chapter 1, and get enough jp for bewildering grace, then find a cat and kill it with a bewildering grace that does x100 exp right before!
Won't matter that much. Levels don't give a lot of stats outside of HP/SP. You need good gear for endgame. Also x100 exp is so rare that it could take you hours before you get it and you could easily die in the meantime if you hit a wrong dance combination.

Pejo

Ended up clearing that fight I posted about above. Don't underestimate Leghold Trap and Shackle Foe. That said, I beat each of "those" bosses now, and they were the most fun fights I've had in the game. I feel like now everything is going to be a breeze in comparison now though, haha.

I think I have a bugged quest. Anyone else have problems with Rite of Passage? It's not checked off on my quest list but the NPC isn't where he was when I accepted the quest, so there appears to be no way to complete it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I like the slower pace and the more humble perspective of the game. Reminds me of Ultima. I'm 10 hours in and I've acquired 2 extra characters (working through the initial chapter for a third). I can't imagine I'll be able to put anything less than 100 hours into the game before I'm finished with a playthrough.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
After 36 hours, I finished my first tale - Olbric's. The final boss fight

with the shifting vulnerabilities

was absolutely madness and I won by the skin of my teeth. I have three others that are ready for their Chapter 4 now. I have Primrose who finished Chapter 2, and the other three I've only ever done Chapter 1. This game is great and I can't wait to pump up the rest of my characters and finish their stories. I'm 1/8th the way there!

Pejo

After 36 hours, I finished my first tale - Olbric's. The final boss fight

with the shifting vulnerabilities

was absolutely madness and I won by the skin of my teeth. I have three others that are ready for their Chapter 4 now. I have Primrose who finished Chapter 2, and the other three I've only ever done Chapter 1. This game is great and I can't wait to pump up the rest of my characters and finish their stories. I'm 1/8th the way there!
Have you done the

Warbringer or Runemaster fights yet?

I'm curious how the final story bosses compare to these guys, which were by far the biggest challenge for me so far
Also, around what level was your team when you finished a story?

jshackles

Have you done the

Warbringer or Runemaster fights yet?

I'm curious how the final story bosses compare to these guys, which were by far the biggest challenge for me so far
Also, around what level was your team when you finished a story?

I've attempted the

Runelord and Starseer

boss battles, and wasn't able to beat either of them just yet. The final boss of the story mission had around 100,000 HP but Olbric's divine skill was doing about 8,000-10,000 damage while Tressa's was doing about 4,000. My biggest problem was he had a sweep attack that dealt about 2,000 damage to each party member and could attack 2-3 times per round which at times made the RNG devastating. When he was down around 10,000 HP he one-shotted my Cleric for about 5k damage and I had run out of Life Olives or whatever so I knew I wouldn't be able to heal any more and was sunk. As a last ditch effort I started throwing all of my (L) soulstones at him for 2,700 damage each - and was able to win with just one character left and badly damaged.

I think most of the "other" super-bosses have around 130k-150k HP to mow through.

My team is level 48-50. Since I've mained the merchant, I've never been exactly strapped for cash and have always got the best weapons / armor available.

Vawn

Banned
Man, I give up on the final boss. Its ridiculous. Having to fight the 8 bosses with no save points only to die to the final boss is annoying as hell.

I've spent too many hours on this. I loved the game, but that final boss killed it for me.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm 10 hours in with 4 more characters to go recruit. I figure I'll do all the Chapter 1s, all the Chapter 2s, etc.

I'm impressed with the amount of content in the game. This is not just a cheap "lol JRPG with sprites, amirite?" nostalgic cash-in. It is a AAA-sized RPG in every way. The number of skills, the map, the music, the depth of characters, the variety of ways to interact with the NPCs... it's very impressive. Having played games like FF6, Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quest V in recent years (so no "nostalgia goggles" in this case), Octopath easily rivals the likes of those games.

Another observation: the map design strikes the perfect balance between a good number of areas to explore while not overwhelming you with too much sprawl. I've never once gotten "lost" or confused by the map layout. Often, you'll see a chest up on a hill and you can easily determine after a few minutes of exploring whether it is reachable from your current position or not. Most JRPGs -- old and new and "indie" -- do a poor job with the map, making it either too big or two small.

Money and equipment actually matter. I like that, too. Lots of JRPGs miss the mark on that, usually by making stuff too cheap and equipment too incremental.

Arkage

Banned
I'm 10 hours in with 4 more characters to go recruit. I figure I'll do all the Chapter 1s, all the Chapter 2s, etc.

I'm impressed with the amount of content in the game. This is not just a cheap "lol JRPG with sprites, amirite?" nostalgic cash-in. It is a AAA-sized RPG in every way. The number of skills, the map, the music, the depth of characters, the variety of ways to interact with the NPCs... it's very impressive. Having played games like FF6, Chrono Trigger, and Dragon Quest V in recent years (so no "nostalgia goggles" in this case), Octopath easily rivals the likes of those games.

Another observation: the map design strikes the perfect balance between a good number of areas to explore while not overwhelming you with too much sprawl. I've never once gotten "lost" or confused by the map layout. Often, you'll see a chest up on a hill and you can easily determine after a few minutes of exploring whether it is reachable from your current position or not. Most JRPGs -- old and new and "indie" -- do a poor job with the map, making it either too big or two small.

Money and equipment actually matter. I like that, too. Lots of JRPGs miss the mark on that, usually by making stuff too cheap and equipment too incremental.

You just convinced me to buy the game, damn it.

B_Signal

The difficulty spikes have taken me by surprise. I had to abandon the scholars chapter 2 and go and do the merchants. I've improved everyone's armour and weapons, everyone has levelled up a bit hopefully now I'm not getting slaughtered when I'm up against multiple foes doing party attacks

Shouta

Does the game ever get a fast travel? Getting from one end of the continent to the other is pretty annoying.

Vawn

Banned
I couldn't let it go. I went back and beat the final boss.

That's clearly meant to be post-game optional stuff, but storywise ot feels like it's meant to be the proper end boss, which is why I couldn't let myself give up.

This has been my favorite game in years. I miss these high quality turn-based Square jrpgs. I hope we see much more like this in the coming years.

jshackles

Yeah, it took me a while to realize I could fast travel as well - I'd definitely walked across the continent a few times before I saw someone do it during a Twitch stream.

Just open the world map from the menu, place your cursor over a town (doesn't work for dungeons) and press A to fast travel.

Also - I just watched the credits roll after finishing Tressa's Chapter 4. The end-game music was really nice and a good variation on the main theme. It's cool that I can remove her from my party now, but since I've been pumping all of my nut items into that character I doubt I'll switch her out. Merchant / Scholar is the best.

Tressa's end-game boss was significantly easier than Olberic's.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Yeah, it took me a while to realize I could fast travel as well - I'd definitely walked across the continent a few times before I saw someone do it during a Twitch stream.

Just open the world map from the menu, place your cursor over a town (doesn't work for dungeons) and press A to fast travel.

Also - I just watched the credits roll after finishing Tressa's Chapter 4. The end-game music was really nice and a good variation on the main theme. It's cool that I can remove her from my party now, but since I've been pumping all of my nut items into that character I doubt I'll switch her out. Merchant / Scholar is the best.

Tressa's end-game boss was significantly easier than Olberic's.

Wait for Merchant/Runemaster. She becomes OP.

Shifty1897

Alfyn's final boss pulled a good trick on me last night.
He reduces your entire party's max HP by something like 10% each turn.
By the time I realized what was happening, it was too late and my party wiped.

jshackles

Alfyn's final boss pulled a good trick on me last night.
He reduces your entire party's max HP by something like 10% each turn.
By the time I realized what was happening, it was too late and my party wiped.

Had a run in with Ophelia's final boss this afternoon

he removes your ability to cast spells or use abilities that target multiple enemies, so I was unable to heal my party effectively

I died. Definitely a bummer considering that these fights can take upwards of 30-45 minutes.

I was walking around Clearbrook and ran into a strange enemy. Looked like some kind of clown with a bag, he was hard to hit and all hits were for 1 but I got him (I have a +71 spear). I got something like 3000 dorrars and 1000 xp! Has anyone else encountered these guys?

Vawn

Banned
I was walking around Clearbrook and ran into a strange enemy. Looked like some kind of clown with a bag, he was hard to hit and all hits were for 1 but I got him (I have a +71 spear). I got something like 3000 dorrars and 1000 xp! Has anyone else encountered these guys?

The cats? Yeah, they're not that rare. They'll usually flee. Moves that hit them multiple times is your best bet.

jshackles

I got a kick out of the latest honest trailer

jshackles

I’ve almost finished chapter 2 of every character. Got 1 to go. Very fun game. Hope others are enjoying it. Great docked and on a big screen, though I prefer a big screen. How many chapters are there per character?

Each character has 4 chapters in total, so there are a total of 32 chapters.

Vawn

Banned
What do you guys consider "beating" this game?

Beating chapter 4 with your starter character, beating all 8 chapter 4s or beating the hidden post-game boss that ties the stories loosely together?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Beating chapter 4 with your starter character, beating all 8 chapter 4s or beating the hidden post-game boss that ties the stories loosely together?
To me finishing all chapters for each character and beating the final boss.

jshackles

I probably won't put this down until I've beat all of the chapter 4s, all of the hidden bosses, and the boss-rush-mode-final-boss thing.

But to be fair, the credits actually roll after you beat your "main" character's chapter 4 so I wouldn't begrudge anyone for saying they "beat the game" any time after that.

royox

This game is spoiling FFVI for me so fucking bad. Would pay for a remake/remaster using this style AND gameplay (and voice acting and orchestrated ost)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I thought the disconnected story would bother me more I'm actually really like the individual story so far and I really like the small conversation each party have with each other like the heart to heart in Xenoblade games but I do wish it fully voiced like all the heart to heat in XC2.

Also really liking combat so far and it has lot of elements that made like SMT/Persona turn based combat.

Edit: I hope games like Persona 5, Dragon Quest XI and Octopath would show SE that people still enjoy turn base combat and it wouldn't crazy idea to have fully turn base combat for FF 16.

Last edited:

jshackles

I'm getting pretty frustrated trying to fight the bosses protecting the hidden jobs. My characters are level 61-63 and from what I've read online this should be doable. I heard the warmaster was the easiest, got my guys geared up for physical defense. Have two Warrior / Merchants using sidestep / incite drawing most of the guy's attacks. Olbrec can do about 28,000 damage with his divine skill if the boss has his guard down. I have Ophelia so that after she dies the first time I give her a (L) olive and she goes up to 9,999 life and can absorb a few attacks. Cyrus is subclassed as a apothecary and he keeps up the poison that does about 3,000 damage every turn and spells to help break the defense.

But I can't seem to win, I keep getting the boss down to about 35,000 HP and he starts attacking like 8 times per turn - far faster than I can keep up with sidestep. Eventually I just lose to attrition.

Any tips? Am I just too low level? I've spent about 4 hours now fighting this boss to no avail.

Vawn

Banned
I'm getting pretty frustrated trying to fight the bosses protecting the hidden jobs. My characters are level 61-63 and from what I've read online this should be doable. I heard the warmaster was the easiest, got my guys geared up for physical defense. Have two Warrior / Merchants using sidestep / incite drawing most of the guy's attacks. Olbrec can do about 28,000 damage with his divine skill if the boss has his guard down. I have Ophelia so that after she dies the first time I give her a (L) olive and she goes up to 9,999 life and can absorb a few attacks. Cyrus is subclassed as a apothecary and he keeps up the poison that does about 3,000 damage every turn and spells to help break the defense.

But I can't seem to win, I keep getting the boss down to about 35,000 HP and he starts attacking like 8 times per turn - far faster than I can keep up with sidestep. Eventually I just lose to attrition.

Any tips? Am I just too low level? I've spent about 4 hours now fighting this boss to no avail.

If you unlock Runelord before, you can have Tressa cast Transfer on herself and then Sidestep to give the party 100% dodge from physical attacks making the fight trivial.

jshackles

If you unlock Runelord before, you can have Tressa cast Transfer on herself and then Sidestep to give the party 100% dodge from physical attacks making the fight trivial.

Thanks for the tip! After two attempts I was finally able to beat the Runelord!

I gave Tressa the subclass right away, I had more than enough JP to max it out immediately lol. Today I'm going to try and take down that Warmaster. I assume that supermage guy will probably be the same tactic except with Ophelia's reflect ability, yeah? Either way, frustrations alleviated and I'm back in this.

sotojuan

For Warmaster, it's all about buffs and debuffs. I had:

Olberic - Apothecary
Cyrus - Merchant
Ophelia - Dancer
H'annit - Thief

You cannot take too long or else you'll die. You need to make the most out of every break. Don't break unless:

a) each/most characters will get two turns before the boss gets a turn again, have 3 BP if they're attacking, enough SP
b) boss' defense is down (Thief - Armor Corrosive)
c) Olberic's/physical fighter's attack is buffed
d) If you use Cyrus and Ophelia or someone with their jobs, have Ophelia use her Divine skill on Cyrus so he gets 4 magic attacks, maybe buff Cyrus if you have time with Dancer's buff for elemental damage

I beat this boss at level 50 and did 40-50k damage per break with this strategy.

While the boss' defense is up, use Merchant - Hired Help -> First option to buff defense, use Hunter - Leghold Trap, and a Thief to keep the boss's attacks debuffed (Thief - Shacke Foe). Ophelia heals almost every round. On that note, you should get Saving Grace passive skill (from Cleric) so you can heal people above their HP, this can mean 6-9k HP in some cases. Then just get her break level to 1 or 2, make sure everyone is buffed as above, and break her.

In fact, I use this strategy on almost every boss though I may switch jobs around if the boss has a gimmick or very different attack type. I mostly use passive skills that make buffs last longer and increase attack stats.

Oh and as it's obvious from this game, you need good equipment. Level doesn't matter much. Also I found Runelord much easier.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Does the game ever get a fast travel? Getting from one end of the continent to the other is pretty annoying.
I strongly recommend you don't use fast travel. A lot of secret areas you will only see if you manually walk to an area, and traveling lessens the grind you have to do later.

Top Bottom