• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NZ Geek Convention.

mrkgoo

Ok, I just got back from Armageddon, the fancy pants name for an annual Geek Convention. It used to cover pretty much just comics and cards, but with the pulp culture now covering much more, it has huge areas dedicated to trading card games, video games, and general exciting stuff for geeks and kids (like a Weta area with lots of King Kong and LotR polystone casts and the like).

Anyway, random things I checked out:

GBA Micro - Pure yumminess. I want one. Looks like we'll be getting five colours on launch, all solid (faceplate and bnody the same colour) - Black, Silver, Blue, Red, and Purple. Comes with a cloth bag, and an extra faceplate. The box looks different to the US one (much more plain - kind of like the Japanese DS box, but for some reason, larger). They had copies of DK Country 3 on it, and it looked gorgeous. I wish the blue lights on the Start and Select buttons were also on the L and R. The D-pad and buttons feel very 'spongey'. THey were good, and reminded me of the original SNES pad. Still, I actually like the clickiness of the DS/SP, so I may miss that. God, I still want one though. And all the colours look great - I could take any one, but I'll probably opt for silver just to go with my SP, DS, PB, and vacuum cleaner.

Mario Kart DS: They had this on a twin plasma screen, showing it in all its pixelly gloriness. Actually, it looked fantastic - I didn't really want to give it a go there, but it looked like fun, and the moving tree obstacles were anmated quite well. And for the record, I did hang around until I saw a redshell - it looked like it shot forward, THEN homed in on the next racer. Could be mistaken, though, and it was the demo version.

XBox360: I spent a while in a line to get a sneak peek at an XBox360 presentation, which consisted of rolling video game footage of Call of Duty 2, a marketing piece proclaiming all the features of the XBox360, and a gears of war demo. Also an XBox360 set up with DoA4 on the start screen. Yeah, I'm sure you have all seen the footage before, and probably spending time at kiosks actually playing the thing, but the footage I saw was pretty underwhelming. It looked higher poly and detail in that regard from stuff now, but gameplay looked more of the same. Given DoA4 in person looked very solid, in terms of HD and general smoothness. Funny, the marketing cideo was talking about the XBox360 being the hub of your home multimedia set up - and it showed a PSP being connected to it.

Also picked up some ultra cheap copies of PN03 and Viewtiful Joe 2. I had PN03 before, but traded it in to get something (I liked it, but I was trading it in for MORE money than I had paid for it - and I bought it this time for even cheaper). I never finished Viewtiful Joe 1 (damn fire leo). Don't even know if I'll even plug these games in.

Oh yeah - I saw copies of Yoshi's Gravtron or something - a Yoshi tilt game. I don't think I've even heard of it before, but after I looked at some pictures on the back, I remember seeing them somewhere here. It's on sale here now, I think. Graphics like Yoshi's Story.

Um yeah, you US people have seen all this before, but this is about as exciting as it gets for NZ.

One last thing, for the record - there are too many smelly people at these conventions.

goomba

Banned
Thanks for the impressions dude.

Im in chrristchurch, have seen the ads on TV for it and wondered what it was all about.

Rlan

I haven't really looked around, but Have they fixed the weird DKC brightness problems that the first two had? They were very bright so you could see them with an original GBA, but now with GBASP and GBMicro, have they gone back to the original, darker palettes?

mrkgoo

Rlan said:
I haven't really looked around, but Have they fixed the weird DKC brightness problems that the first two had? They were very bright so you could see them with an original GBA, but now with GBASP and GBMicro, have they gone back to the original, darker palettes?

Man, sorry guys, I never really paid much attention to anything. Despite being an avid game-type person, I never really took notice of details. DKC3 looked pretty good - not really sure about the palette, since I never played the first two on GBA. I was too busy admiring the micro...

Sorry, I didn;t ask for dates for the 360 (I'm not a huge XBox fan, and sort of just wound up at the front of the queue for the presentation.

Man, I feel like I've let people down - I really didn't go in hoping to see much. Overall, the convention is pretty much like it always was. Lots of comics, and stalls selling stuff - mostly comics and sci-fi stuff. Many sci-fi celebs -from Enterprise, Bablylon 5 and the like - not too sure, as I don't really watch much any more. The guy who played Longbottom in the Potter films (signing for free, which is really nice of him to do for the kids, seeing as all teh others seem to charge around $25 just for an autograph), and some biggish names in the comic world (Mark Waid and Michael Turner).

It's mostly bigger because the entry fee is $15. Doesn't really get you much - Since Auckland is reasonably big, most of the stuff there you can buy from a store somewhere around anyway. Although, I DID pick up P.N03 and VJ2 for NZ$20 each (for comparison, a new GC game costs around NZ$120). They did dedicate an entire level to videogames though.

Microsoft had a section showing off XBox and PC stuff. EA had a huge area with projectors and driving sims set-up. Sony had very innovative booths showing off Singstar 80's and Eyetoy Play3 (both with Eyetoys set-up and huge screens so everyone can see teh poor saps playing - particularly amusing for Singstar, seeing a couple of guys singing Uptown girl for everyone). Overall, it seemed very 'mainstream', with mostly kids showing up with their parents.

Sorry, no pics... There's nothing I could really have shown anyone that they haven't seen online, and in better form. Some places had "booth babes", but I can't help but feel kinda embarrassed when I see scantily-scad women who are there for the sole purpose of rubbing up against greasy slobs for 1/50seconds' gratification.

So is Yoshi's Gravitron supposed to be good?

Rlan

Yoshi Gravitation is apparently pretty crap. It's made by the Blinx guys, apparently. The "tilt" sensor in the cart is different to that of Wario Ware Twisted, it just has certain "points" of turning. You can't angle Yoshi at EVERY angle.

mrkgoo

Rlan said:
Yoshi Gravitation is apparently pretty crap. It's made by the Blinx guys, apparently. The "tilt" sensor in the cart is different to that of Wario Ware Twisted, it just has certain "points" of turning. You can't angle Yoshi at EVERY angle.

Thanks. You know, at teh moment, I'm gald there's a game that's turning out not the best...saves me some money. So many good games due out for DS/GBA! Castlevania is in such short supply, I think I missed my chance...

Top Bottom