• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Nydus

Gold Member
Damn , just got my Zotac 3080 and it's kinda dead on arrival . I'm not sure if it's because of my PSU , it's a 80+ Gold Superflower 650W . It should at least boot up but now it isn't at all , kinda devastated here
awww dang it. i also got a 650W PSU from Corsair (RMx 650W). I dont want to buy a new PSU :pie_fearful:
if my card really comes tomorrow (still doubt it) ill tell you how it went. My CPU is a 7700k @ 1,35V. I doubt to hit over 500W combined in gaming.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
But if I do a chargeback, assuming the card issuer grants it, am I fully out of the picture in terms of paying at that point? Is there a scenario where the buyer has been delivered the goods, the buyer then recovers his money in escrow via a chargeback (buying time with a claim for damaged goods or anything that can delay seller getting the money), and the seller has no means of recovering the goods or the money?

Are you planning on stealing? Am I reading this correctly?

so the 20GB version of 3080, would that be only from other companies like GIGABYTE, EVGA? or would Nvidia also make one to sell too? I might wait and get one of if that's within the year.

I really hope I can get one before CP2077 launch if possible. I've been using my i7 4770/GTX780 desktop for so long now (6 years I think) and I really hope I can do an upgrade for CP2077 and a few of the other games I have.

Rickyiez

Don't suppose you have another PSU and one of these around, do you? :p

I'm using these 2 6+2 PCIE connectors for the RTX3080 earlier so there should be no mistake on it .

BPByi0W.jpg

Just wondering could it be that I didn't uninstalled the Radeon driver , but it should at least POST .

Last edited:
Damn , just got my Zotac 3080 and it's kinda dead on arrival . I'm not sure if it's because of my PSU , it's a 80+ Gold Superflower 650W . It should at least boot up but now it isn't at all , kinda devastated here
That’s below the recommended wattage. If your PSU isn’t dead then your computer is doing you a favor by not turning on.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

This youtuber has no issue running it with the H1 compact 650W , I supposed my full blown 80+ gold 650W should work even better . Perhaps the card is really DOA

Sorry for diluting the thread , I will bring it to the retailer again tomorrow and test it out .

Last edited:

Rikkori

so the 20GB version of 3080, would that be only from other companies like GIGABYTE, EVGA? or would Nvidia also make one to sell too? I might wait and get one of if that's within the year.

I really hope I can get one before CP2077 launch if possible. I've been using my i7 4770/GTX780 desktop for so long now (6 years I think) and I really hope I can do an upgrade for CP2077 and a few of the other games I have.
Yes, only from AIBs. Nvidia will only sell 10 GB Founders Edition ones and probably aren't making many of those in the first place.

Yes, only from AIBs. Nvidia will only sell 10 GB Founders Edition ones and probably aren't making many of those in the first place.
So I "bought or preordered" an EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra, so if Nvidia does a 20GBP in 3 months I can use the step-up hopefully. Or not. At this point since most games are.... crossgen (lol) I might just wait till 2022 and maybe 10gbs can tide me over

Rikkori

So I "bought or preordered" an EVGA 3080 FTW Ultra, so if Nvidia does a 20GBP in 3 months I can use the step-up hopefully. Or not. At this point since most games are.... crossgen (lol) I might just wait till 2022 and maybe 10gbs can tide me over
Yes, that's a good choice, but make sure to register for step-up ASAP! Don't wait for card announcements.

WakeTheWolf

Overclockers stated: "Something more official will be posted later but in short demand is vastly beyond any prediction and supply not enough and were now working with each board partner to try and get shipping schedule and quantities going into October, November and December which we are still waiting on."

also

"I think anyone after 14:05 won't see a card in September, those before 15:00 maybe October but until we get shipment data for October we are in the dark, that information is requested but it seems it won't be available to the graphics card manufacturers until end of this month. "

What a joke lmao. They actually took people's money on this. My order said arriving 23rd Sept too on the page!

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Overclockers stated: "Something more official will be posted later but in short demand is vastly beyond any prediction and supply not enough and were now working with each board partner to try and get shipping schedule and quantities going into October, November and December which we are still waiting on."

also

"I think anyone after 14:05 won't see a card in September, those before 15:00 maybe October but until we get shipment data for October we are in the dark, that information is requested but it seems it won't be available to the graphics card manufacturers until end of this month. "

What a joke lmao. They actually took people's money on this. My order said arriving 23rd Sept too!

I am one of those people. Honestly if I get it before November I'll be fine. If they confirm it won't come till December or later than I'll cancel. This whole launch is an absolute disaster.

cucuchu

I'm considering taking off work and camping out Wednesday at a Micro Center for the 3090. This entire launch is making me lose my mind. After setting up notifications, refreshing everything constantly, getting very little sleep, etc, I take 20 minutes to drive to get to work and boom amazon US preorders go up when I'm on the freeway, gone by the time I can take next exit and pull over to try to order.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I'm considering taking off work and camping out Wednesday at a Micro Center for the 3090. This entire launch is making me lose my mind. After setting up notifications, refreshing everything constantly, getting very little sleep, etc, I take 20 minutes to drive to get to work and boom amazon US preorders go up when I'm on the freeway, gone by the time I can take next exit and pull over to try to order.

Make sure you call your Microcenter to ask if they plan on selling them that day, first come first serve...OR, as another poster experienced, they are passing out vouchers the night before (without telling anyone).

kiphalfton

The thing I don't understand is if Nvidia is coming out with a 20gb version... Why wouldn't they try to manufacturer as many of the 10gb versions as possible first (i.e. have plentiful stock at launch)?

I mean they're already screwing their customers, and they're going to eventually have to reveal the higher VRAM version. They're not doing themselves any favors lollygagging. Unless the higher VRAM version isn't until early next year.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Please avoid Ohio. Good luck otherwise.

LOL, yeah, I'm in Norway so we don't have to fight over the one 3090 they are selling in Ohio :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I'll say this. It's hard for me to justify in my head space the price tag for the 3090 to what I'm expecting the performance to be, which I think we'll see the 3090 performing at best 15%-20% over the 3080.
I think I'm gonna try and scoop up a 3080 and then sell it when the 3080ti eventually comes out

I also think/thought the 3090 is roughly 20% or so faster than the 3080, especially looking at the specs.. ..But logically the 3090 must always be the fastest card over whatever 3080 model, so if the 3090 is only ~20% faster, there's not really a large enough slot to fit a 3080Ti in between..? I'm getting a headache..

Last edited:
I also think/thought the 3090 is roughly 20% or so faster than the 3080, especially looking at the specs.. ..But logically the 3090 must always be the fastest card over whaever 3080 model, so if the 3090 is only ~20% faster, there's not really a large enough slot to fit a 3080Ti in between..? I'm getting a headache..

Yea, I dunno either. This whole thing stinks.

pawel86ck

Banned
That's unfortunate however always try to look at the bright side. Your PC could explode and burn your house 😈😅, so I say you are a lucky man.

BTW. I had similar issue many years ago. I have changed different PSU and motherboard as well and then the same problematic GPU booted and worked perfectly.

Last edited:

benno

also

What a joke lmao. They actually took people's money on this. My order said arriving 23rd Sept too on the page!
If you check the no stock email they sent out (I got one) there is a refund link which states a refund will only take a couple of days.

Hopefully I get a refund in time to catch a 3090.

DanEON

oww god, I was convinced to get a 3080 now but this news about the 20gb version just made me go back to indecision again. lol

This youtuber has no issue running it with the H1 compact 650W , I supposed my full blown 80+ gold 650W should work even better . Perhaps the card is really DOA

Sorry for diluting the thread , I will bring it to the retailer again tomorrow and test it out .

Soy is a great source of energy.

TriSuit666

Banned
I'm going for it though, the ROG Strix in fact. I just want a big card for once.

But if I do a chargeback, assuming the card issuer grants it, am I fully out of the picture in terms of paying at that point? Is there a scenario where the buyer has been delivered the goods, the buyer then recovers his money in escrow via a chargeback (buying time with a claim for damaged goods or anything that can delay seller getting the money), and the seller has no means of recovering the goods or the money?

Happens all the time.

eBay/PP will usually side with the buyer, unless you are of a high enough level to get ‘Concierge Service’ which gives you access to the call centre and you can explain the situation and have a hope in recovering the money.

But doing a chargeback could have adverse effects for you credit file wise, as it’ll show, and some credit companies mark that as a negative.

Siri

Banned

I’m assuming you’ve re-installed your previous GPU to make sure your system is functioning?

Myths

Whoever had that Zotac 3080, I want that badly. Ugh. Even if that amazon.de scratches the order, at least their AMP line will drop not far later.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
LOL, yeah, I'm in Norway so we don't have to fight over the one 3090 they are selling in Ohio :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I also think/thought the 3090 is roughly 20% or so faster than the 3080, especially looking at the specs.. ..But logically the 3090 must always be the fastest card over whatever 3080 model, so if the 3090 is only ~20% faster, there's not really a large enough slot to fit a 3080Ti in between..? I'm getting a headache..
I'm thinking we'll see something that fits the 3080Ti slot. It won't be better than the $1500 3090, which if we presume(and it's probably a safe bet) is about 20% better than the 3080 than naturally we'll see something roughly perform 10% or so better than the 3080 with more memory. It could just as easily be the same 3080 with 12Gb of VRAM which doesn't sound like a lot, but it gives the 3080 a lot more breathing room for it's longevity. Now key point is price, if they can give a 12-16gb 3080(Ti) at $850-$950 they'd easily sale that in droves with people who don't quite fit with or want/need/see the value in the 3090.

I think we'll see either a 3080Super or Ti with more memory.

CuNi

How recent?

I bought my FE 2080 TI day one and have used it almost ever single day for at least an hour or two per day. So I’ve gotten great usage from this card. But even if someone had purchased a 2080 TI, say, this summer, it’s not really my place to say they made a poor decision.

Some people just have lots of money. Others might be running out of time. Not everyone’s in the same boat. I’ve made purchases in my life for things that I knew were wildly over-priced, but my decision to make the purchase wasn’t based on the cost, but rather on the circumstances of the time. For example, a few years ago a close relative of mine was dying, and I made purchases for this person without any thought to the cost.

Sometimes it’s not about cost, but about something else.

I agree though that if you don’t have much money, and you just didn’t bother to research this, then yeah you probably made a bad decision - but even then.... will the 3080 be widely available for Cyberpunk, a game that many people are dying to play day one? Hey, you know what, if you already have a 2080 TI you’re good to go.

For some people spending money on gaming is never a bad thing,

Like I said, to begin with, I am not going to question the performance a 2080 TI delivers because just like you said, it was, it is and even with 3000-Series GPUs it still will be a very good card when it comes to performance!
I mean as far as we know, the 3070 is hovering around it and only the 3080 and 3090 are truly stronger, so it still very much is relevant for gaming even as of today!

And with recently I'd say around Summer. If you got the Card day 1 then obviously you had 2 years of top tier performance, so that is not a waste in any way!
But around summer rumors began to float around and if you follow PC trends you know that GPUs typically release every 2 years so you knew this year will have new release.
AMD I think even confirmed before NVIDIA that RDNA2 GPUs will release 100% in 2020.

People buying 2080tis for retail price that late in its life cycle are most likely either people that didn't bother to research at all or people who have no knowledge in PC gaming and just bought it maybe for their son or brother or so, both kind of deals are if you think about it bad as we have the 3000 Series now.
Those would make the majority of people that bought a 2080 TI this summer as everybody who has a disposable income high enough to buy a 2080 TI regardless of checking up possible new cards coming up soon would have done so already in the beginning of its lifecycle and not just now. Neither would have people whose cards have died recently as they'd just pick up a cheap replacement card to get through to 3000 Series.

So it all comes down to either ignorance or lack of knowledge. I don't blame those without the knowledge as maybe they did the research but since it wasn't for them they just went with "what's best now", but that doesn't change the fact that it is a bad deal.

small_law

You say that, but German Amazon came through for me on the PS5 pre-order front.
They might have room laterally for features for the TI, but I'm just using caveman think on this one. Biggest card is best card and this big card.

CitizenX

Banned
awww dang it. i also got a 650W PSU from Corsair (RMx 650W). I dont want to buy a new PSU :pie_fearful:
if my card really comes tomorrow (still doubt it) ill tell you how it went. My CPU is a 7700k @ 1,35V. I doubt to hit over 500W combined in gaming.

The one piece of hardware you should always have a back up its a power supply. Granted my PC is almost always on but every 3 or so years they will just die. All corsair.

Top Bottom