• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Ulysses 31

To bring some positivity to this thread... What's the first game you guys are going to play when you get your 3080, 3090, AMD whatever? I'm probably going to pick up Crysis Remastered. My monitor is only 1440p60 so I shouldn't have to much trouble with a 3080. I hope lol. What about you guys? Whats first?
Metro Exodus
Crysis 3
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky(starting area has spots where GPU% shoots up to 99-100%)

Last edited:

Senua

To bring some positivity to this thread... What's the first game you guys are going to play when you get your 3080, 3090, AMD whatever? I'm probably going to pick up Crysis Remastered. My monitor is only 1440p60 so I shouldn't have to much trouble with a 3080. I hope lol. What about you guys? Whats first?
You'll be fine just don't use those silly cant it run crysis settings

Cyberpunk 2077, because I might not even get a card until November the way things are going.

If I get it before then, I'll probably go through Shadow of the Tomb Raider, been sitting on that one forever waiting for a card that can run it with RTX ON.

Last edited:

Can't think of anything recent off the top of my head. Likely Witcher 3 at 4k with all bells and whistles and tons of mods.

I'm really looking forward to vr with solid fps and bumping up the detail and resolution scaling for better clarity.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned

TL;DR - a good 600W PSU will be enough for even factory OCed 3080.

It’s worth noting that he admits to gaming for no more than 30 minutes. I’d like to know what happens when you continually push 600 watts for hours of gaming. Also, which games did he test? At what resolution? At what settings? Where is this information?

PC Gamer, using a PCAT power measurement tool provided by Nvidia, allowed them to get measurements directly from the power connectors, so they knew exactly how much power the card was drawing. Their highest measurement in Crysis Remastered was 386 watts on the 3080 alone. Good example there of future games that will push the 3080.

I’m skeptical that even a good 600 watt PSU won’t cause problems, either in the long run, or just with very demanding games. It’s likely that most games would run just fine - but then, with certain games, there’d be shutdowns, which, quite frankly, the user would likely blame on the game, or the developers of the game, rather than their own system.

Nvidia‘s recommendation of a 750 watt PSU leaves a chunk of headroom, which is what you want for problem free gaming. The guy in this video hasn’t tested every game out there at max settings, nor has he tested long enough, IMO.

If he can provide better evidence, then great. I, personally, would be hesitant to run my 9900k with a 3080 on a 600 watt PSU. Feel free to disagree. To each their own. I’d never tell someone else what they should or shouldn’t buy or do.

Last edited:

Nydus

It’s worth noting that he admits to gaming for no more than 30 minutes. I’d like to know what happens when you continually push 600 watts for hours of gaming. Also, which games did he test? At what resolution? At what settings? Where is this information?

PC Gamer, using a PCAT power measurement tool provided by Nvidia, allowed them to get measurements directly from the power connectors, so they knew exactly how much power the card was drawing. Their highest measurement in Crysis Remastered was 386 watts on the 3080 alone. Good example there of future games that will push the 3080.

I’m skeptical that even a good 600 watt PSU won’t cause problems, either in the long run, or just with very demanding games. It’s likely that most games would run just fine - but then, with certain games, there’d be shutdowns, which, quite frankly, the user would likely blame on the game, or the developers of the game, rather than their own system.

Nvidia‘s recommendation of a 750 watt PSU leaves a chunk of headroom, which is what you want for problem free gaming. The guy in this video hasn’t tested every game out there at max settings, nor has he tested long enough, IMO.

If he can provide better evidence, then great. I, personally, would be hesitant to run my 9900k with a 3080 on a 600 watt PSU. Feel free to disagree. To each their own. I’d never tell someone else what they should or shouldn’t buy or do.
Did you watch the video? The biggest part of it is he explaining which game, at which resolution and why. And what user would blame the game if the pc just shuts down?! That's no blue screen or crash to desktop or some shit. The PSU will just shut down and that's the end of the story.

And by God even igors lab said that a GOOD 650W PSU will suffice. So let's stay calm and upgrade our PSU when it's getting problematic and not cause Nvidia said so. (Which they have to do cause of the amount of SHIT PSU out there)

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned

4K No Man's Sky

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
Did you watch the video? The biggest part of it is he explaining which game, at which resolution and why. And what user would blame the game if the pc just shuts down?! That's no blue screen or crash to desktop or some shit. The PSU will just shut down and that's the end of the story.

And by God even igors lab said that a GOOD 650W PSU will suffice. So let's stay calm and upgrade our PSU when it's getting problematic and not cause Nvidia said so. (Which they have to do cause of the amount of SHIT PSU out there)

Yes, I watched the video.

Testing out one game for 30 minutes isn’t exactly ‘real world’. If you’re going to push a PSU to its very limit then you need to test multiple games for much longer than 30 minutes.

Honestly, I’m wondering if YOU watched the video.

And if you read what I wrote then you didn’t read it very carefully. Clearly, I wrote that I’d be leery of running a 600 watt PSU and a 9900k and a 3080. Great - “Igor‘s Lab” said that a 650 watt PSU will suffice.

The difference between 650 watts and 600 watts actually does matter when you’re pushing your system to its very limit. I never said anything about 650 watts? Why are you changing the numbers on me?

Also, you ask what user would blame the game for a system shutdown? Okay - you must be punking me? Go to the Steam forums. Half the people there bitching and complaining about such and such a game not running have toasters for PCs.

The number of of people who will blame the devs, rather than their own shitty hardware, is legion.

Just because you can run an RTX 3080 on a 600W PSU, it doesn't mean you should.

Heavily stressing your PSU like that will reduce it's lifespan. Who knows how much it will affect the power quality of your PSU and risk something worse? Additionally, you can't account for spikes in power demand until you have a large history of testing.

95eaaa549a9e4e29a5125226cf32ef7e.png

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm hoping to end up with a 3070ti or Big Navi Jr., so the first big game I'll play is Cyberpunk. Also FS 2020, and hopefully DOOM Eternal and TW3 RTX patches. Lot's of 3DMark fun.

Last edited:
Although the above 750W can pass the actual test, and there are a lot of them, I personally recommend that users of 3080 graphics cards prefer 850W and above wattage power supplies.
In the peak state of 1050W, the 750W power supply runs at 140%+ output, which will bring greater heat and noise, accelerate the aging of components, and have a certain impact on the life of the power supply in the long run, and it cannot be guaranteed that the power supply will last for 5 years , 7-year warranty period can bring other higher specification hardware.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Has there been a teardown of the EVGA XC gpus? I am curious if there pcb is built as well as the ASUS Tuf. I was a bit underwhelmed how the MSI pcb on the trio was lacking yet cost more money. All I have heard is how great EVGA support is in the US so I will look to get a XC3 ultra or FTW3 ultra (this would be my preference).

Has there been a teardown of the EVGA XC gpus? I am curious if there pcb is built as well as the ASUS Tuf. I was a bit underwhelmed how the MSI pcb on the trio was lacking yet cost more money. All I have heard is how great EVGA support is in the US so I will look to get a XC3 ultra or FTW3 ultra (this would be my preference).
I haven’t seen any. Seems like reviewers are dragging their asses on this. What’s the point of getting the cards and not showing us???

I'm most surprised by the lack of ROG Strix reviews.. It's weird

Strix series seems to get delayed on release dating back to Pascal days. 1080ti Strix was a nice card, justified or not you can see why there is a premium.

I was wanting a rog Strix this time but just bagged a MSI GeForce RTX 3090 VENTUS 3X OC. Should be delivered for Tuesday. Couldn't be bothered to go through the same shit as last Thursday and miss out.

Nydus

Just because you can run an RTX 3080 on a 600W PSU, it doesn't mean you should.

Heavily stressing your PSU like that will reduce it's lifespan. Who knows how much it will affect the power quality of your PSU and risk something worse? Additionally, you can't account for spikes in power demand until you have a large history of testing.

95eaaa549a9e4e29a5125226cf32ef7e.png
I'll answer both of you at once. Look I know why you want people to be on the cautious side and not to blame their cards if shit goes south. But this problem is way overblown.

Someone who buys a 10900k won't run a 600W PSU. (600w would scrape the line a little too close for me too). If you run a ryzen 3600 and a 3080 (both at stock) a good 600W should be plenty. The riple test by Igor's lab showed as much. I don't know if his videos are available in english but this guy comes originally from the PSU industry and his testing is very in depth.

If your system shuts down, fine, buy a new PSU. If you want a peace of mind, also get a bigger one. If you know your shit and the data shows that it will hold, there's a big chance you'll be fine.

Only time will tell if I was mistaken when the cards are available and posts about psu problems start to flood in. I have no problem being wrong.

Back in the day I was running a new build pentium 4 3ghz and 5800 ultra (I know 😬🤦). I had it running for a few weeks mostly powered up all that time and it blew the PSU ( was using ocz 550 watt if I remember right ).

After that experience I never skimped on the PSU, always bought Corsair or Seasonic 850w and up. Never had problems like that since.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Nothing that wasn't already assumed, but alleged confirmation about RDNA2. Navi 21 is 16GB and Navi 22 is 12GB. Big Navi and Big Navi Jr. which might be RX 6900 and RX 6800.

---

Gigabyte showed their 3070 Gaming OC, which looks like the non-hunchback version of the 3080 Gaming OC

3070:
GV-N3070GAMING-OC-8GD-6-e1600626153594.jpg

3080:
GV-N3080GAMING-10GD-1-e1600626279287.jpg

Last edited:

llien

If you don't like that game, that's on you.
Are you a kid or something?
What do other games not covered by "preview" have to do with anything?
Jesus...

If you think that's misleading people, then that's on you.
If you think that artificially bumping texture size to get to 8gb vs 10gb BS scenario, to make Huang's lies look a bit better is not a problem, there is something wrong with you.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Are you a kid or something?
What do other games not covered by "preview" have to do with anything?
Jesus...

If you think that artificially bumping texture size to get to 8gb vs 10gb BS scenario, to make Huang's lies look a bit better is not a problem, there is something wrong with you.
Dude, what are you talking about? You're not making any sense and aren't addressing the context that's relevant.

You still haven't answered where you get the 30 percent discrepancy from.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Never mind.
You have a problem with Borderlands. I said it doesn't matter because DF's data is corroborated by other sites' data. Because that's the point of contention. Accuracy of reporting.

You also have a problem with the VRAM situation. I said it doesn't matter because DF's data is corroborated by other sites' data. The "is there enough VRAM?" issue is a completely separate issue and not within the scope of this conversation that is about the accuracy of DF's "sneak peak" video.

Do you understand?

I'm going to ask you for the fourth time. Where is the 30% difference coming from? You said that DF's numbers were off by 30%. I showed that other sites got similar numbers. Do you have additional data that I do not have? You can't just make a claim and not back it up.

Nydus

FYI, decided to try a new one called Distill. It allows you to set a timer for a page and the extension checks the page however often for any changes (e.g., the 'buy' button suddenly appears). It'll then message you or produce an audio/video notification.
Awesome tool. Maybe a bit late to use it now but u never know when new stock arrives :D

FireFly

Testing with everything on maximum (ultra nightmare) settings is normal when benchmarking a $700 graphics card. In fact I would say if they hadn't used maximum settings it would seem suspicious, like they were hiding some limitation in Ampere.

McHuj

I can't imagine the 3080 20GB costing less than $999. It wouldn't surprise me if it even went up to $1199 either. There too much a price gap between the 3080 and 3090, but it seems not enough of a performance gap to slide in multiple cards.

Ascend

I can't imagine the 3080 20GB costing less than $999. It wouldn't surprise me if it even went up to $1199 either. There too much a price gap between the 3080 and 3090, but it seems not enough of a performance gap to slide in multiple cards.
I'm actually suspecting that the 3080 10GB is just there to hype these cards and their so-called low prices, and that we'll ultimately be getting mostly (if not only) 20GB when supply is large enough, making the $700 price tag nothing more than a bait and switch.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm actually suspecting that the 3080 10GB is just there to hype these cards and their so-called low prices, and that we'll ultimately be getting mostly (if not only) 20GB when supply is large enough, making the $700 price tag nothing more than a bait and switch.

That would be a massive performance value win for those lucky enough to get their hands on the 10GB version.

Last edited:

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
This scarcity has taken the wind out of my hype sails tbh. I took thursday off because I expected a bit of a fight, but I still thought I would get ahold of one. Here I am 4 days later with only a fishy Amazon Zotac order in the processing limbo and little by little I'm losing interest.

I understand that controlled scarcity creates hype, but that only works if you can actually buy the product

nemiroff

Gold Member
Are they taking the piss?

Oh wait, its Nvidia, of course they are.

Yeah, even if I think the performance difference won't make much difference to most people for quite some time, the notion that they are "screwing over" early adopters of the 10GB version so quickly and so blatantly is not going to do them any favors.. If Nvidia don't have a good way to publicly explain their strategy in a way that makes sense for their customers, this is going to hurt their image (but of course not their sales.., unless AMD is able to properly compete).

Last edited:
This scarcity has taken the wind out of my hype sails tbh. I took thursday off because I expected a bit of a fight, but I still thought I would get ahold of one. Here I am 4 days later with only a fishy Amazon Zotac order in the processing limbo and little by little I'm losing interest.

I understand that controlled scarcity creates hype, but that only works if you can actually buy the product
I got bored, with Scan UK, so I emailed them to cancel down my 3080FTW Ultra order. I'll just hang on to my 5700XT, and just get a Series X (loads of games on my Xbox Account ) or PS5. It's not really about the waiting, it's the fact they decided to do a launch, take people's money and then go. Abracadabra ! One day you will get a card. I'll just get one next year September when prices go down

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I got bored, with Scan UK, so I emailed them to cancel down my 3080FTW Ultra order. I'll just hang on to my 5700XT, and just get a Series X (loads of games on my Xbox Account ) or PS5. It's not really about the waiting, it's the fact they decided to do a launch, take people's money and then go. Abracadabra ! One day you will get a card. I'll just get one next year September when prices go down

I do have a secured PS5 preorder which I was willing to cancel for Ampere, but right now I see myself getting the PS5 in november and using my 1080 for some extra months

Last edited:

Senua

I'm hoping but I have zero faith in AMD in the GPU space.

Plus Cyberpunk 2077 will have l those sweet Nvidia optimisations, so my hands might well be tied regardless.
I'm just hoping for a 3080 competitor with more ram to undercut the 3080 which will force them to lower prices, and make them release a 3080 ti for a lot cheaper than they would've without competition.

Nice to hope ay?

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm hoping but I have zero faith in AMD in the GPU space.

Plus Cyberpunk 2077 will have l those sweet Nvidia optimisations, so my hands might well be tied regardless.

Also DLSS, which will be almost mandatory for 4K VR headsets like the G2.

Have to say, I've never been as confused by a product launch as this one. Was prepared to go for 3080, then Nvidia showed 3090.., wanted that, common sense made me want a 3080 FE, but it went "notify" straight to "out of stock", ordered a ROG instead, got tired of the VRAM discussion, decided to go 3090, cancelled the ROG, got the 10% 3090 news, ordered a MSI Gaming X, cancelled it because TUF is better and has more value, ordered a TUF, waiting for 3090 benchmarks, and now all this 20GB stuff.. My god.. This ride is making me nauseous :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

GHG

Also DLSS, which will be almost mandatory for 4K VR headsets like the G2.

Have to say, I've never been as confused by a product launch as this one. Was prepared to go for 3080, then Nvidia showed 3090.., wanted that, common sense made me want a 3080 FE, but it went "notify" straight to "out of stock", ordered a ROG instead, got tired of the VRAM discussion, decided to go 3090, cancelled the ROG, got the 10% 3090 news, ordered a MSI Gaming X, cancelled it because TUF is better and has more value, ordered a TUF, waiting for 3090 benchmarks, and now all this 20GB stuff.. My god.. This ride is making me nauseous :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Honestly it's ridiculous and it all stems from Nvidia not being upfront about their product line.

In an ideal world we get the 3080 10gb and 20gb announced and launching at the same time along with the 3090.

That way we can compare the performance of all of them, compare the pricing and then make a decision without needing to second guess yourself.

nemiroff

Gold Member
In an ideal world we get the 3080 10gb and 20gb announced and launching at the same time along with the 3090.

That would basically be perfect. The messaging would still be a challenge (just look at the mostly notion-driven VRAM discussion we have in this forum), but not impossible as long as all facts was laid out on the table.

Last edited:

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I've been weak and cancelled my Amazon.de Zotac and preordered a TUF in Overclockers. It's around 30€ more and I wasn't too sure about the Zotac. Now I can stop worrying - out of sight out of mind I guess.

nemiroff

Gold Member

Holy crap, I just checked the biggest tech online shop here in Norway and they suddenly removed all options to order or pre-order any 30XX cards.

"Due to extreme demand, this product is temporarily unavailable for sale. Click on receive notification and be notified as soon as the product is available for sale again"

My TUF order is still as "November 1"..

Top Bottom