• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia responds to GTX 970 memory issue

Seanspeed

Banned
The pendulum of whether I return this card has been swinging one way and then the other this past week. I am still undecided...
I was in the same boat, but the limited RAM of AMD's upcoming HMB cards just isn't enough incentive for me to wait. I'm gonna hold onto my 970 til next year, hopefully where we can get a 6-8GB+ HBM card for $300-350.

My brother is having a hell of a time trying to return his cards.
1. Email to Nvidia is worded "contact the website where you bought it from. If you bought it from our store, you could have done a refund."
2. EVGA emails are as follows:
A. Your problem is not real, here are some aberage framerate figures which mask the frametime problem

I have him respond back saying how average framerate figures obfuscate the problem of every 40th frame being 60ms longer to render, and how he wants a refund due to this behavior.
B. They respond that he can have a refund only if he bought it through the EVGA website store, otherwise, contact the internet seller he bought it from.

-----------

So now, I will have him contact NewEgg. Jesus christ, the lack of initiative and recognition from EVGA and Nvidia regarding this is fucking criminal. He bought an EVGA card, IMO, they are obligant to help him here with a refund.

potam

Banned
Well, just in case anyone is still thinking about returning:

Just got off the phone with Newegg. I figured I'd try the phone rather than the chat this time. They initially wanted to offer store credit, but I was finally able to get them to offer a regular refund. Will be receiving UPS labels within the next 48 hours.

Here's the biggest difference between the last time I contacted them and now: they acknowledge it is a manufacturer error. The CSR didn't attempt to explain that it was how the card was designed or any other BS this go 'round. The only thing she kept repeating was that they would prefer I took store credit since the hit on them is not as much.

Since when do we know about that? Has there been new details/leaks recently?

The first generation of HBM is supposedly maxed at 4GB. Someone posted slides in the other thread.

here:

ARMlQkU.png

Korezo

So guys this morning i tried the new driver with Shadow of Mordor, put textures to ultra and played for about an hr, vram hit 3.8gb multiple times with no stuttering :) wonder whats going on

Did they magically fix it by allocating vram a different way

I just downloaded 50+gb shadow of modor to see if this was true, and when I played the game in ultra it was still a stuttering mess. When I run around and then rotate the camera it'll stutter, and when I enter combat it stutters like crazy that the frames drop to single digits. This was with SLI.

I just downloaded 50+gb shadow of modor to see if this was true, and when I played the game in ultra it was still a stuttering mess. When I run around and then rotate the camera it'll stutter, and when I enter combat it stutters like crazy that the frames drop to single digits. This was with SLI.
Interesting im still playing at 1200p with a single 970 but all my stuttering is gone on the ultra preset with ultra textures.

Are you running it at a higher resolution?

I never had stuttering (a very intermittent hitch here-and-there but to sort of be expected with open-world).

The numbers in my post several posts above that shows my VRAM and pagefile usage interests me. I don't like that the pagefile increase also coincides with VRAM increase. Is the last 500MB being bypassed for pagefile instead?

My pagefile is on an SSD and is going to be a lot quicker than a hard drive. Is this why I have never seen stuttering...?

I have a hard drive in my PC that I can load into. I am going to play Mordor on this and see if stuttering occurs any more frequently.

XBP

Just tried SOM with the new drivers and I can definitely see some improvement. The frame rates aren't dropping below 60 now (before they went to around 40 for me a couple of times). Frametimes however are still all over the place.

EzqPmLf.png

XBP

What was the VRAM usage like in general? Was it over 3.5GB?

Yep, ~3.6GB 99% of the time. Went up to 3.7GB a couple of times. I've personally seen the game use around 3.9GB before but that didn't happen on this run.

This is with ultra everything @ 1080p (including textures).

The Boat

AMD, supposedly Q2 2015. Nvidia no idea, but they will very likely have to answer to the 390 / 390X. Unfortunately it will probably be just a new Titan.
I honestly have no idea if I should wait for these before buying a new PC. Adopting early technology can be problematic.

Yudoken

As promised here is the reply I got from Gigabyte.
I have bad news, I got just a standard "here is a benchmark provided by Nvidia, the games work fine, see" reply.
I send them a new e-mail (this time in English, should have done this before), hopefully they come to their senses.
4aPzvKo.png

Top Bottom