• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Numerous Tech and Gaming Companies Named And Shamed As Benefiting From The Use Of Chinese Forced Labour Camps

johntown

Banned
I'd highly recommend watching the video if you want to understand why these huge companies have completely free rein (and why a lot of people are in a miserable situation). Government intervention is forbidden in this economic structure. If a country doesn't cooperate you'll get situations like what happened since Chile in the 1970s: military interventions, coup d'etats, etc. Even if China would ban these practices, they would be forced to continue since the global market is dependent on them. If a government gets overthrown new people, schooled in neoliberal economics would be installed to let the global market do as it pleases, something that happened time and time again.

The market should be free is the motto. Human beings and the planet be damned.
You still have not answered my question on whether China is the blame for any of this but that is okay I have enough information to make my own opinion. The statement I bolded does not make sense. If they banned them they would be forced to continue?

Do you work for the Chinese government? It sounds like your saying poor China would have no choice but to continue treating their workers like garbage not because they want to but for the world to continue to function they way it currently is.

Anyway, I have no interest in neoliberalism or the video. Personally, I think your view is little too conspiracy theorist and anti-capitalism and US for my taste. I appreciate your civil responses. Please feel free to respond but I am done with this conversation so please don't expect a response.

You still have not answered my question on whether China is the blame for any of this but that is okay I have enough information to make my own opinion. The statement I bolded does not make sense. If they banned them they would be forced to continue?

Do you work for the Chinese government? It sounds like your saying poor China would have no choice but to continue treating their workers like garbage not because they want to but for the world to continue to function they way it currently is.

Anyway, I have no interest in neoliberalism or the video. Personally, I think your view is little too conspiracy theorist and anti-capitalism and US for my taste. I appreciate your civil responses. Please feel free to respond but I am done with this conversation so please don't expect a response.

China's government doesn't have a choice. Simple as that, just like any other country doesn't have a choice. Surely that's not so hard to understand? The global market has more power than any country on the face of the earth - it dictates, not countries or governments.

OK. no hard feelings.

Carna

Banned
There's nothing we can do about the way China runs their country/workers, that's just the sad reality that can't be changed. Are you guys implying that you're going to stop buying games and consoles because of this?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Chinese communism.... If China was capitalistic, this wouldn't be such a problem.
You're assuming that the average Chinese citizen would have a problem with what the government is doing to the Uighurs. If anything, I imagine capitalism would make it even worse because it wouldn't just be the government organizing the slave labor. American/European capitalism was quite fond of slavery too, once upon a time.

Communism is junk but I wouldn't lay this one at its feet and I definitely wouldn't say capitalism is the answer, particularly when western companies from capitalist countries are the ones loving the low cost of labor in China.

The word you might be looking for is Democracy. Democracy could do something about it, if and only if the Chinese people cared one whit about the Uighurs and I'm not convinced they do.

Gargus

Banned
And people think that companies have any morality or "traditional values."

Yeah but do the people at the top really know? When you're a billion dollar multi national company that is huge it's not easy to know exactly everything that is happening. I have no doubt only a few actually knew anything about it. The guys st the top only care about a few things and if those things are going according to play, they know of nothing below them, below them are in the same position and so on. And all everyone cares about is doing what they have to in order to keep the level above them happy and off their back. Levels in large corporations are compartmentalized for the most part, each cog keeping itself turning so the whole machine stays in motion.

Sure someone is to blame but I bet it's only just a few. So I wouldn't blame Nintendo as a whole or Sony as a whole because that's just not how large businesses work. Always have, always will.

Is it right? That's not for me to say but I understand. Its always about the bottom line and about money.

And no one ever thinks or says big companies are moral,, ever. When you play in the big leagues like these companies do morality is flimsy because morality causes problems, delays, costs a lot of money, hassles and so on. A small time company can be moral but once you get so big things get too large for common everyday concepts and ideals because at that stage the business is just about sustaining itself and perpetuating itself. It becomes a cold and calculated machine that exists because it becomes about money and product. Trying to inject personal beliefs into the system would kill it because when you get huge it can only live by thinking about what's good for the company as a whole.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Yeah but do the people at the top really know? When you're a billion dollar multi national company that is huge it's not easy to know exactly everything that is happening. I have no doubt only a few actually knew anything about it. The guys st the top only care about a few things and if those things are going according to play, they know of nothing below them, below them are in the same position and so on. And all everyone cares about is doing what they have to in order to keep the level above them happy and off their back. Levels in large corporations are compartmentalized for the most part, each cog keeping itself turning so the whole machine stays in motion.

Sure someone is to blame but I bet it's only just a few. So I wouldn't blame Nintendo as a whole or Sony as a whole because that's just not how large businesses work. Always have, always will.

Is it right? That's not for me to say but I understand. Its always about the bottom line and about money.

And no one ever thinks or says big companies are moral,, ever. When you play in the big leagues like these companies do morality is flimsy because morality causes problems, delays, costs a lot of money, hassles and so on. A small time company can be moral but once you get so big things get too large for common everyday concepts and ideals because at that stage the business is just about sustaining itself and perpetuating itself. It becomes a cold and calculated machine that exists because it becomes about money and product. Trying to inject personal beliefs into the system would kill it because when you get huge it can only live by thinking about what's good for the company as a whole.
Yeah, already know all about that

It's herd mentality though, and it doesn't make it okay
Sure, that big mob heading towards Danny's farm to kill him for fornicating outside of marriage looks like a lot of fun and keeps your head out of trouble
But is it right?

Probably not (Depending on the cultural values) but hey, if they don't kill me it's cool!

Take it a step further to Jed, who doesn't know about the mob, just knows Danny got killed; Jed still invites all those people over for dinner, and is supporting people doing a highly vicious act
Not putting the blame on Jed, but I'm pretty sure Jed and surrounding communities wouldn't want to have people from that mob around in their lives, or being able to continue to harm people.
EDIT: It's why I got out of certain facets in business/IT

Last edited:
File this story under the 'No Shit, Sherlock' tab.

The only difference between this Communist State and all the others is that China forces their slave labor to make shit for export. Until the consumer stops chasing the cheap Chinese plastic opium then this will continue unabated. Nobody cares, as I'm sure the media has some juicy celebrity gossip to distract all of us within the next 5 minutes.

Drell

But... But then they make games were you character don't have a gender and where black people aren't voiced by priviledged cis white males so who cares about the chineses?

lfe5w8P.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A new report by the US State Department-funded Australian Strategic Policy Institute has discovered that at least 83 companies are directly or indirectly linked to Chinese forced labour camps when it comes to the creation of their products – and Nintendo is one of the firms named, alongside Sony and Microsoft.

The Chinese camps are where Uyghur – a Turkic minority ethnic group – and other ethnic minorities are forced to work under unethical conditions, as well as being subjected to intimidation and threats, constant surveillance, a ban on religious practices, political indoctrination and excessive working hours. Their freedom of movement is also restricted and there are reports that threats are routinely made against family members if workers do not comply willingly.

According to the report – which is supported by similar investigations, including one by the BBC – these minorities have been transferred in huge numbers by the Chinese government from the far west region of Xinjiang to factories across the country. It estimates that more than 80,000 Uyghurs were transferred from Xinjiang to the factories between 2017 and 2019 alone, with some being sent directly from detention camps. The BBC report suggests that China is building massive camps for adults, while children as young as three are placed in equally huge camps nearby where they are told they can only speak Chinese.

The report claims that it "exposes a new phase in China’s social re-engineering campaign targeting minority citizens, revealing new evidence that some factories across China are using forced Uyghur labour under a state-sponsored labour transfer scheme that is tainting the global supply chain." While Nintendo is obviously not directly connecting with these camps, it is reportedly using parts sourced by these camps for the production of its video game hardware. The report calls for all of the companies named to assess their supply chain and take positive action.

For its part, the Chinese government is claiming that the report is inaccurate and that these camps are, in reality, "vocational education facilities" that help combat terrorism in the Xinjiang region and "ensure its smooth economic transition."

Pretty much, every company benefits from cheaper labor. If we could move production over to your local country of residence, can you imagine how much more *x,y,z product or platform* would cost? Now I'm not defending it, but it's the reality...

Lol everything i told was true.
admin plz dont block me this time
plz let me finish my story

chinese rich they are changed kojima production.
now they are try ruin rockstargames.
later is halo infinite.

the only good part is chinese rich they can force konami sell silent hill copyright
to kojima production.

Anyone there help me to blow my story out?
just ask nothing more.

hunthunt

Banned
I can name 10 countries were production would be even cheaper than China and no one would complain until a fire burn to death hundreds of workers.

Welcome to capitalism

The rich surfing on the backs of the poor. That's never been a part of human history. /s

(And really, the general consumer is guilty to an extent as well, oblivious or not.)

azz0r

Banned
Shouldn't we blame China, not the companies benefiting from its piss poor policies and care for its work force?

Aion002

Its ok, they could move to any miserable capitalist country like Brazil or India and get the same results
I can't talk about India, but as brazilian lawyer.... Nah... Brazillian labor laws are very strict. The acting President do want to make the laws more flexible.... Like he likes to say: "É melhor menos direitos trabalhistas que perder o emprego” something like: It's better to have less rights than losing jobs.

However, even his plans are nowhere near China ideas of labor laws.

Also, if a company even thinks about doing something close to China pratices.... well, they are gonna get sued and are going to lose a shit ton of money. Brazillians love to sue everybody. Brazil is miserable, but not because of the laws, they are quite good, the politicians just suck... a lot.

If you want to read about labor laws in Brazil: https://thebrazilbusiness.com/article/brazilian-employment-law-in-a-nutshell

Now on topic.... It's China....

Last edited:
Top Bottom