• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Number of console games published per platform holder in 2023:Xbox 11, Playstation 5, Switch 14

zedinen

kaizenkko

People like to do those nonsense comparisons. Nintendo only publishe more games because they NEED it. That's what happens when your console is a old gen tablet who can't run the most part of third-party AAA games.

Resident Evil 4, Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Baldurs Gate 3 and many others are better games than the majority part on Nintendo's list.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Xbox has 33 studios now with abk. They have enough to delivery a game every 2 months at least. They willl have a lot of bangers.

People like to do those nonsense comparisons. Nintendo only publishe more games because they NEED it. That's what happens when your console is a old gen tablet who can't run the most part of third-party AAA games.

Resident Evil 4, Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Baldurs Gate 3 and many others are better games than the majority part on Nintendo's list.

True.

Nintendo even with higher number of games will offer most amount of drought.

Not to mention an overdose of Mario art style will do a number on you.

About time they catch up to Series S with next Switch and allow 3rd party to make games for it.

darrylgorn

Shigeru Miyamoto Thumbs Up GIF by Gaming GIFs

Wtf is going on with the dudes tongue?

drganon

Well, to be fair they count the GOTY edition of HFW as a "new game" too.

Sony has been a disgrace the whole generation, but a few people are ready to admit it (or can see it).
HFW was disappointing, GOW Ragnarok was disappointing, GT7 too, Demon's Souls is good but it's a remake, Returnal is good.

Something people don't realize is 99% of Sony's best exclusives are 3rd party games. Since the beginning, and through the years they are losing them all, since the PS1 it always has been the same. They lost the exclusivity of :
- Ridge Racer
- Tekken
- Final Fantasy (going back and forth)
- Metal Gear Solid
- Silent Hill (going back and forth too)
- Chrono series / Xeno series
- Persona
- SMT
- Resident Evil
- Spyro
- Crash Bandicoot
- GTA

The studios they own are making great games but to me HFW, GOWR, GT7, are all just "good", sure graphically they're great but gameplay-wise, nothing that good since TLOU2 I'd say.

And look at their recent releases Spider-Man Remastered GOTY PS5 updated edition : 79.99€. TLOU part1 graphical update 79,99€, and what's their next release ? TLOU part2 PS5 graphical update which will probably be 79.99 too.

We have no other 1st party games announced than SM2 releasing this month and Wolverine and even if this releases in 2024, it'll be 1st party game. And even if now some games are announced and released in the same year, those are always "little" games or remasters/remakes, not AAA/AAAA games.

But sales are good so that's that. But how long will they be ? Being in an early PS3 era scenario in 2024 wouldn't be good for them.
dumb-goat.gif

Holammer

I'm a little bit surprised with so few Sony games, but I come from a PC perspective where Sony's recent output feels like a horn of plenty unleashed.

Pidull

Sony has been a disgrace this year. Would it really have killed Jimbo to have funded some AA games via Japan Studios? This AAA-reliant output is killing their previously consistent output.
Sadly, this is why I've become less of a PlayStation fan going back to the final years of the PS3.

Their output on PS3 was superb and the reason that system clawed back into relevance, but towards the end of that generation Sony started a bad habit of shutting down studios, a habit that continues for several years into the PS4.

RIP Incognito, BigBig Studios, Zipper Interactive, Evolution Studios, Guerilla Cambridge, and Japan Studio.

Meanwhile Microsoft has wisely invested heavily in buying studios, their only issue is effectively producing good games out of their studios.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
They also added VR games and a GOTY edition. You'll never satisy everybody with those lists.
VR Games are real games so should be added but adding Spider-Man 2 which isn't even out yet is stupid. If I was trying to add HFW, I'd have tried to include the DLC rather than a re-release. I wouldn't add DLC unless it's standalone like Uncharted:Lost Legacy which HFW: Burning Shores is not.

If you are doing a list like this, use the past 12 months at least.

List wars are fucking dumb. If they are to be used they should be used to be critical of your own platforms if they aren't pulling weight but there is no need world this dick measuring tweet isn't anything but incomplete rubbish.

I'm sure there is a shit third party publisher with more releases than Nintendo this year, it doesn't mean quantity is better than quality, but you still need some quantity.

mrmustard

Banned
VR Games are real games so should be added but adding Spider-Man 2 which isn't even out yet is stupid. If I was trying to add HFW, I'd have tried to include the DLC rather than a re-release. I wouldn't add DLC unless it's standalone like Uncharted:Lost Legacy which HFW: Burning Shores is not.

List wars are fucking dumb. If they are to be used they should be used to be critical of your own platforms if they aren't pulling weight but there is no need world this dick measuring tweet isn't anything but incomplete rubbish.

I'm sure there is a shit third party publisher with more releases than Nintendo this year, it doesn't mean quantity is better than quality, but you still need some quantity.
Like i said, you'll never find a list 100% of the people are happy with.

I think Spider-Man 2 and Forza Motorsport are fine and because of that i'm also fine with calender years.

Some people would even add non standalone DLC like the Sea of Thieves Monkey Island DLC. I woudln't for the same reason i wouldn't add VR games: You need additional hardware/software so it's not for everyone just for a small audience.

Ah yes, Nintendo, the company that's on record for delaying TotK for a full year to polish it to perfection after it was already finished and had no development deadline for Mario Wonder.

On the surface some might be lead to believe that they're putting out software because it will sell well to their 130m+ users, but them being a desperate "tablet" company must be the reason behind the productivity.

Season 9 Ok GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hudo

I think we need to wait till the end of the year to have a final judgment. Many Playstation fans love Spider-Man, so it could be Sony's TotK.

The most surprising release still has been Hi-Fi Rush, imho.

MrA

Banned
Alot of those lists are padded with remakes/remasters/rereleases and "complete editions".

But put that aside, they all released games, mostly good, what a horrible time to be a gamer (/s)
you mean all 3
sony has 1 dlc and 1 complete edition
nintendo 5/6 (depends on how you count f zero) plus 1 2 switch together isn't a game so much as a dumpster fire
ms has 4/5 (ghost wire tokyo being a late port)

MrA

Banned

oh that's easy to find go to psn or eshop, sort by latest, look up any of those publishers' release list

X-Wing

I think we need to wait till the end of the year to have a final judgment. Many Playstation fans love Spider-Man, so it could be Sony's TotK.

The most surprising release still has been Hi-Fi Rush, imho.
The one game they didn’t hype turned out to be good.

Last edited:

squarealex

Sony Interactive (PS5):
✅ MLB The Show 23
✅ Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
✅ Firewall Ultra
✅ Horizon: Call of the Mountain
✅ Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Editon
✅ Destiny 2: Eclipse
And people can add Destiny 2: Eclipse.
(Why adding Mojang + Bethesda, if you ignore Bungie?)
This is some lowest plateform wars... ignoring some release (and re-release via PSVR2 or PC port) for Sony, but adding port and retro / remaster / update (lmao) for Nintendo or Xbox.

Killer8

Based on those lists, everyone looks like they had a poor year.

Comparing them is just a shit measuring contest.

I did not buy many from those listed.
Sony
Call of the Mountain
Spiderman 2 (eventually)

Nintendo
Bayonetta
Metroid Prime

Microsoft
Starfield early release +expansion
Gamepassed everything else

Thats it. Very light year for gaming 2023 purchases
I also bought Diablo 4 on xbox but should have bought it on PC
edit - How could I forget Elden Ring! I bought that too!

Last edited:

Boy bawang

And the switch is at the tail end of its life. Pretty crazy when thinking about it. The most successful console of all times, considering it didn't even need a price cut to get where it is.

StueyDuck

you mean all 3
sony has 1 dlc and 1 complete edition
nintendo 5/6 (depends on how you count f zero) plus 1 2 switch together isn't a game so much as a dumpster fire
ms has 4/5 (ghost wire tokyo being a late port)
I don't mean anything. I meant alot , which are the words I wrote in my original comment.

I am not choosing any sides here

RickMasters

Nintendo can't stop winning.
Tru story. They really got their mojo back with the switch! Glad to see their business model is still a success for them. I always want Nintendo to be….. Nintendo. It’s the games console you hook up at Xmas when you have the whole family and friends around. The first console you buy for your kids when they are old enough to understand how to use a control pad.

Xellos

Nintendo does a great job managing their game development. Lots of smaller projects surrounding the few tentpole releases, but they're all polished. They do have a lot of ports and remakes these days, but I guess that's the advantage of having made games for 40 years. Most of their games hold up.

RickMasters

Also. Sea of Thieves Monkey Island DLC is basically a whole new game.
I really need to try that game out at some point. Do the jack sparrow quests and monkey island back to back.

I like the type of content they keep adding to this game I just can’t find the time to get into it at the moment, especially with my current playlist.

Chronicle

Well there you have it. Exclusives sell consoles!

Lol. I'm not sure who has been in the Xbox online ecosystem but it's toxic as fuck. I was glad to say goodbye to that shit.

nial

Gold Member
LIST WARS, GUYS, GET IN!
The Nintendo list is not that good and Detective Pikachu Returns is published by The Pokémon Company.

Nintendo: quality and quantity but lower budget games
Sony: quality and high budget games
Microsoft: quantity
sony has been disappointing this gen, they continue to put out movie games that lack content. i dont care about spending a lot on budget when you barely get to actually play and its mostly cutscenes and things being done for you(automated) even in the gameplay.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
sony has been disappointing this gen, they continue to put out movie games that lack content. i dont care about spending a lot on budget when you barely get to actually play and its mostly cutscenes and things being done for you(automated) even in the gameplay.
Which games are you talking about?

Roberts

I really need to try that game out at some point. Do the jack sparrow quests and monkey island back to back.

I like the type of content they keep adding to this game I just can’t find the time to get into it at the moment, especially with my current playlist.
Yeah, POTC and MI stuff is something you can hop onto, finish reasonably fast and move on to something else. Now, the main game is something different - I think the part of its prolonged popularity is that it has such a devoted, hardcore fanbase that pretty much only play the game and nothing much else. It is an enormous timesink that rewards you the more you play it and master it. I love the game and sometimes wish I could really sink my teeth into it until I'm a pirate legend, but, damn, I just don't have the time.

Buying up the industry tend to add more games to your library. Who would hve through.
games are not free to make nor magically created.

Sony started out good but looks like the investment on GaaS games impacted the rest of their output.
Making games is actually pretty damn hard.

Sony is trying to figure out GaaS pipeline/infrastructure.

Hermen needs to go. Simple as that. Dude is running PS Studios like a monkey.
That monkey gave a master class at how to run a studio, create a oversee the creation of a new IP and developing its own tech. Decima is the most versatile First Party Engine period.

Nintendo having the most games and wasting less money of the 3 is interesting. I salute 🫡 u.
Nintendo is the autistic genius.

Yeah lots of games releasing day one subs and crossplay enabled with PC is terrible stuff for the industry. I hope Xbox revert to what Nintendo do (pure walled garden and inflated prices) or what Sony do (upgrade costs, late or never ports, bad ports and a funnel to their walled garden).

/S
✅ Hi-Fi Rush
✅ Redfall
✅ Starfield

you Right. Buying huge publishers and ripping their games off other platforms is great for the industry. 🫦💦😫

Top Bottom