• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nuclear-Powered Sky Hotel

Biff

I look forward to this One Trillion United States Dollars sky hotel to be completed in 2322.

Ok, for shits and giggles I decided to watch the video.

Supposedly this thing would run on a fusion reactor to power some kind of electric turbine that would compress and heat air to the point of ignition like a scram-jet, but somehow at normal speeds, and with no fuel.

This is a film school term project for a fake product.

Ok, for shits and giggles I decided to watch the video.

Supposedly this thing would run on a fusion reactor to power some kind of electric turbine that would compress and heat air to the point of ignition like a scram-jet, but somehow at normal speeds, and with no fuel.

This is a film school term project for a fake product.

That isn't how it works.

They say fusion, but as I commented on earlier in this thread the idea is orthogonal to energy source. You just need a given, large, amount of energy and the basics of physics take care of the rest. Be it fission, fusion, or microwaved down from a orbital collector.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how this works. You produce electric energy and then have many electric turbines which provide propulsion. This idea is being used, currently, in electric aircraft. Elon Musk pointed out in the past that he has thought of working on electric supersonic aircraft because it's ripe for innovation. See, whereas conventional aircraft have a ceiling because you need to combust, an electric turbine doesn't and can operate at high altitudes where drag drop drastically.

The idea has been around for years in certain circles. J Storrs Hall wrote a great chapter on this as a molecular nanotechnology enabled project that would be fission powered. His ideas are vastly larger and more interesting.

Again, the physics doesn't prevent this. It's an engineering problem, which means it will be done as long as we don't have idiots in the general population poo-pooing it and even dumber people writing the regulation to prevent it. If this thread is any indication, we'll be spending the next 50 years on TikTok and playing video games wondering why we don't have flying cars. Idiocracy is a documentary.

Last edited:
I mean, Chernobyl and Fukushima may have some words with you considering they're still radioactive. Chernobyl has been radioactive for over 30 years and Fukushima, while still leaking into the ocean, has been radioactive for 11 years. Not to mention there's been quite a few shipwrecks in the past decade in regard to cruise ships.

So sure, I'm the crazy one for considering a nuclear-powered flying cruise ship is a bad idea.
You need to read up on nuclear fusion.

It’s called “clean” for a reason; I.e. it doesn’t produce radioactive isotopes as a waste product like nuclear fission reactions do.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Hahah (sarcastic laugh) this is gonna be a snow piercer scenario. Except ice age it’s gonna be for global warming up in the cool atmosphere while the poor burn below.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
You already know the answer.
dHeiJy2.gif

kevm3

conceptually, it looks very cool, but no thanks. If something happens, everyone is a goner. Well, I'm sure the ultra rich will have access to escape pods/planes while everyone else gets to go down with the plane.

Last edited:
Top Bottom